RELIGION - what? LET'S UNITE AGAINST SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BigCamera4892

Re: RELIGION - Puttin' faith aside, gettin' down to morals

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 am

angeldeb82 wrote:marline and emil = FAIL! :lol:

M00ndragon69 wrote:Welcome Marline and Emily, you guys seem nice.

Actually, angeldeb82 was referring to the fact that in both of the sigs of marline7hj and emilfg4, who posted just above angeldeb82, are spam sigs. Each one (and they might be the same person?) has four spam links in their sigs.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 am

Yeah, it kinda sucks, spammers do like to invade this thread, among others.:<
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 am

Ooops, I thought they were just noobs, who used bad grammer and spelling, but were were trying to be nice..Damn, none of the other boards I have been on had these kind of spammers. Then again, maybe they would be scared to piss off people on a horror message board.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:14 am

They're not scared to piss anyone off. I think I scared them away from a couple threads (Like the random thread and the Kenny discussion thread) but they just won't go away. The4y seem to be a BIT less bad now, but they're still spamming up the place. it's sad, and i wish they would go away already.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:29 am

Well, certain people I know from other boards would f*ck with them..And actually, the mods on the horror board I currently post at ( which just went back up, I have been there off and on for 4 years, because most of my friends from The Devils Rejects message board also post there) wouldn't have this crap on the board. They don't take any sh*t.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 am

The issue with these spammers is that they make one post and leave, so they don't even see what we say. it's stupid.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Welcome Marline and Emily, you guys seem nice.

They probably were, but we don't like spam at the end of posts or in sigs. Links to L.A. lawyers don't have a place here, and the people who posted them only post once and disappear, as mentioned above. Might as well permaban 'em.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Spamming is immoral weather your religious or not :P

Is the lack of emotion immoral? considering people don't have a choice about the condition... then again people don't have a choice about weather they're more agressive than avarage, or have more sexual desire, or born with a more narcissistic personality, or are born with a lazier disposition...

Similarly, is asexuality, or a severe the lack of sexual desire a morally good thing, even though people don't have a choice about it? same goes for a peaceful disposition, a more caring personality, or someone who is naturally more hard working...
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:15 am

Man, SS, you analyze stuff to death don't you.. I think your questions about morality really depend on who you ask. For me, no, your emotions or lack of emotions are not necessarily something you can help. You can't help the way you feel, but you are in control of your actions, unless you have some kind of mental condition. I personally feel that the only thing I really consider immoral is hurting other people. Knowingly hurting other people. That is if someone who is of sound mind knows something they want to do will harm someone else, and they know what kind of pain they are putting that person through, but they go and do it anyway. I say knowingly because some people do and say things that end up hurting or negatively affecting other people, because they don't think. I would consider that being more thoughtless and stupid than immoral. Stupidity isn't necessarily immoral, but it is annoying and does negatively affect other people..But I don't know if stupid people can help it or not.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:15 am

superiorsavior wrote:Spamming is immoral weather your religious or not :P

Is the lack of emotion immoral?

We have to define immoralality. Is it by a community standard, or by any of a dozen different religion's own standards?

Does a person who is control of their faculties and behaves against social norms immoral? It depends on what they are doing. Breaking the law of jaywalking? Is that immoral? Or is having adulterous relations the main immoral topic? Or is lying or commiting murder the main topics of being an immoral person? But even in these things, if a person has some mental condition that they are suffering from, can they form the intent to realize that their behavior is immoral? If one commits murder, and found guilty, they could go to jail or even be put to death. But if it is proven that a mental condition exists, then society will not put to death the person who committed the murder.

My point is that these spammers know what they are doing - they go through the whole registration process on this board, make a one-post spam, and leave. Is this immoral? It depends on the definition we are using for immorality. The intent to spam certainly exists. But I don't think the issue of morality is present in this scenario. Rather, the intent to spam exists. It is a shame; it is annoying; it is aggravating to BBS users; but it isn't immoral. At least I don't think so. Is it wrong? Yes. But immoral? No.

superiorsavior wrote:considering people don't have a choice about the condition... then again people don't have a choice about whether they're more agressive than average, or have more sexual desire, or born with a more narcissistic personality, or are born with a lazier disposition...

Is what you're saying here is that the person doesn't have a choice or free will to act differently? Without understanding the wrong nature of their actions, or without making a conscious choice to act in this way, I feel they can't be held to the standards of social morality. They by your hypothetical can't help themselves. They should be treated as not knowing right from wrong; not by standards of morality.

superiorsavior wrote:Similarly, is asexuality, or a severe the lack of sexual desire a morally good thing, even though people don't have a choice about it? same goes for a peaceful disposition, a more caring personality, or someone who is naturally more hard working...

Again, not a morality issue as I see it. If a person's make up gives them a lack of desire, then that's who they are. It isn't immoral as I see it to go around with a lack of desire.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:32 am

I don't thinks it's immoral either. I don't believe even a mental condition is immoral. What I believe immoral is breaking the rules of modern society, in KNOWING what you are doing is wrong. period!

Spammers are not immoral because they are stupid, and careless souls.. :P

But spammers on the other hand can hide themselves if they wanted to. Most trolls do that pretty well. They hide until they feel as if they need to strike. I feel as if this is worse because they can go and ridicule people over certian rules or actions. Thus then deciding to act foolish and like a hyprocrit when known is an act of travesty and is more denouned in my opinion.

I feel as if religion has a lot to deal with trust and how people react to how trustworthy and loyal they are to a certian person or act of faith.

The same applies to the laws of social norms. In order to be liked and to be accepted, you have to have a certian amount of thrustworthyness and loyalty to your peers.

Knowing right from wrong is supposed to be taught in schools and by parents, and most parents brought us up thinking that religion is very important. However, as we as a society have changed, so has our beliefs and moral values.
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"

I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:52 am

Michaeloptv wrote:I don't thinks it's immoral either. I don't believe even a mental condition is immoral.

If a person has a mental condition, they may not know right from wrong, but they can't be held to a moral standard if they can't appreciate what morality even means because of their condition.

Michaeloptv wrote:What I believe immoral is breaking the rules of modern society, in KNOWING what you are doing is wrong. period!

But if they have a condition where they don't have the capacity to know, they how can they be classified as immoral?

Michaeloptv wrote:Spammers are not immoral because they are stupid, and careless souls.. :P

Or business people who post 1,000 spam posts, and if a few people respond, they make a profit on whatever they are selling.

Michaeloptv wrote:But spammers on the other hand can hide themselves if they wanted to. Most trolls do that pretty well. They hide until they feel as if they need to strike. I feel as if this is worse because they can go and ridicule people over certian rules or actions. Thus then deciding to act foolish and like a hyprocrit when known is an act of travesty and is more denouned in my opinion.

I thought the topic was morality; specifically the morality of spammers, as brought up by superiorsavior.

Michaeloptv wrote:I feel as if religion has a lot to deal with trust and how people react to how trustworthy and loyal they are to a certian person or act of faith.

The same applies to the laws of social norms. In order to be liked and to be accepted, you have to have a certian amount of thrustworthyness and loyalty to your peers.

Many, many people today follow their own rules of conduct, without blindly following religious doctrine. Does this make them immoral? No. How many religious zealots are there who commit heinous acts in the name of religion? Many, many immoral people act that way, deliberately citing there religious beliefs as justification of their actions.

Michaeloptv wrote:Knowing right from wrong is supposed to be taught in schools and by parents, and most parents brought us up thinking that religion is very important. However, as we as a society have changed, so has our beliefs and moral values.

Who says it is supposed to be taught in schools? Yes, there are vice-principals who enforce rules, but knowing right from wrong has a lot to do with a person's upbringing. But even if the parents are terrible parents, humans still have a way to get through that, too, and learn right from wrong in spite of their upbring.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:05 am

I take morality as whatever YOU make of it. It's really just an opinion. What you think is right and what you think is wrong may not apply to others. For example, a person may think it's wrong to say "yes" if a woman asks "Does this make me look fat?" but another person may think it's immoral to not tell what you really think.

BC wrote:Or business people who post 1,000 spam posts, and if a few people respond, they make a profit on whatever they are selling.
I don't think it's really worth that much work to make what? like $10?

BC wrote:I thought the topic was morality; specifically the morality of spammers, as brought up by superiorsavior.
It's not your job to patrol his posting habits, you know.

BC wrote:How many religious zealots are there who commit heinous acts in the name of religion?

Oh YES. Those people are just annoying and stupid, to cover up bad things just by saying they "did it in the name of god" or crap like that.

Mike wrote:I don't believe even a mental condition is immoral
Who said it was?

Mike wrote:I feel as if religion has a lot to deal with trust
No, I act more on independance and what I view as right than on distrust; just because i think something is illogical doesn't mean I have trust issues...

Mike wrote:and most parents brought us up thinking that religion is very important.
....Many parents are not like this.

BC wrote:lying
Is a very interesting subject. I believe sometimes you need to lie to be moral. The truth isn't always the best thing in my opinion.

I hope you find the time to read my textwall. :P
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:06 am

You do know we could analyze these questions until our heads explode and still not know have a clear answer about morality. Morality has many different definitions, and it brings up many, many, many different issues.

But here is a question. Is someone who isn't necessarily mentally ill, but really stupid, immoral when they do things that f*ck over other people? Is it immoral to not think about others, not out of selfishness, but because you just don't think before you act, and as a result other people are negatively affected?
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:19 am

Wii fit man wrote:
BC wrote:I thought the topic was morality; specifically the morality of spammers, as brought up by superiorsavior.
It's not your job to patrol his posting habits, you know.

Read what I said: "I thought. . . " I was referring to my own opinion, not professing to have a job to patrol posting habits

Wii fit man wrote:
BC wrote:How many religious zealots are there who commit heinous acts in the name of religion?

Oh YES. Those people are just annoying and stupid, to cover up bad things just by saying they "did it in the name of god" or crap like that.

Annoying and stupid? I'm referring to murder in the name of religion. Whether it be an ultra-zealot Jew in Israel murdering a Rabbi, or Al Qaeda in their religious beliefs killing 3,000 people in the World Trade Center, they commit their heinous actis in the name of religion.

M00ndragon69 wrote:But here is a question. Is someone who isn't necessarily mentally ill, but really stupid, immoral when they do things that f*ck over other people? Is it immoral to not think about others, not out of selfishness, but because you just don't think before you act, and as a result other people are negatively affected?

I still feel this hypothetical is one of knowing right from wrong - even stupid people can't put forth the defense that their actions should be forgiven just because they're stupid. They may be stupid, but in their own mind what they did was moral, which is why they did whatever it is they did. No moral compass going on in their heads, telling them what they are doing is wrong. So even stupid people, in my opinion, should know right from wrong, and held to that standard, rather than being held to a moral standard.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”