Pittsburgh Steelers Win Super Bowl XLIII

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

spfan1494

Pittsburgh Steelers Win Super Bowl XLIII

Postby spfan1494 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am

It was a hard- fought battle between the Steelers and Cardinals. Both teams played their asses off, but in the ending, the Steelers beat the Cardinals with a score of 27-23 to win the Super Bowl. I made this thread so you could voice your opinions on this amazing game.
"It's not over until someone gives up the ghost."- My own quote.
"You never know what'll happen when you're on... Snork Patrol!" -Corky
"Change, or die." -Chef Gordon Ramsay
angeldeb82

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Win Super Bowl XLIII

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 am

Yay, Steelers! At least this halftime show with Bruce Springsteen is better than the Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake halftime wardrobe malfunction five years ago.
Still the same as it ever was.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 am

OMG, Ferguson was right again!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 am

Three thing did the Cards in:
1- Harrison's INT return. This was a 10-14 point swin, not een counting momentum.
2- Penalties. They kept Steeler drives alive.
3- Leaving too much time on the clock after the 65-yard TD by Fitzgerald.

I am a Seahawk fan, so I was screwed either way.

But I'm happythat the Cardinals got the chance to silence some critics. The game was close.

IMHO, if the Cardinals had 20 more seconds, you wouldhave seen different playcalling in the final drive. Maybe...
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:48 pm

I didn't watch it. I'm not much of a sports fan, but where there any good commercials? Those are probably the only thing good about the super bowl.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Good commercials? I do not understand...
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Advertisers pay millions of dollars to put commercials in durng the game, and they often are some of the best commercials you'll see all year.

As for this year...a Coke Zero commercial that parodied/remade/updatd the uber famous Coke commercial from the 70s was the best.

The halftime show was good. You got a great musician like BruceSpringsteen and th E Street Band, and unlike th past few halftime shows, he is still spry enough to be exciting.

Overall, a fine game and great halftime show. If the commercials were a bit better, it'd be perfect.

Super Bowl Recap For This Decade:

XXXIV 2000
Rams-Titans: 23-16 Rams, ended on "The Tackle" which stopped the Titans just short of tying it. Incredible game.

XXXV 2001
Ravens-Giants: 34-7 Ravens, complete domination by the Ravens D. Giants only scored on a kickoff return, and that was answered by a Ravens kickoff return. Unless you were a Ravens fan, waste of time. The halftime show was a famous abortion.

XXXVI 2002
Rams-Patriots: 20-17 Patriots in one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets ever. Also the first time that the Super Bowl was decided by a score on the final play. Don't really remember the halftime show beyond it being U2. Start of the Patriots Dynasty, like it or not. Incredible game.

XXXVII 2003
Bucs-Raiders: 48-21 Bucs, another incredible performance by a defense. Six interceptions, three of them returned for TDs. The Raiders would collapse afterwards. Shania Twain, No Doubt and Sting- remember them I do not.

XXXVIII 2004
Patriots-Panthers: 32-29, Patriots, 4th quarter is the best quarter of football in Super Bowl history. It started 14-10. The most exciting full 15 minutes I can remember. The Wardrobe Malfunction incident was the halftime show.
Not underrated by serious football fans but overshadowed in popular culture by Jackson's tit.

XXXIX 2005
Patriots-Eagles: 24-21, Patriots, good, solid game all around. I can't talk too much about it as I didn't watch it, but had to follow it online.

XL 2006
Steelers-Seahawks: 21-10 Steelers, WTF sir. Worst officiating ever in a Super Bowl. Hell, just ONE call being changed, one simple call in the 4th, and you are looking at a likely 14-point swing. But let us ignore the officiating. Neither team played well. The halftime show was decent. As much as I love The Roling Stones, they are aged so not much fun to watch.

XLI 2007
Colts-Bears: 29-17, Colts via an MVP Peyton Manning though it was far more of a team effort. It started off sloppy, got better as it got along. A solid halftime show with Prince.

XLII 2008
Giants-Patriots: 17-14 Giants, featuring one of the best catches in Super Bowl history. The Giants were massive underdogs and managed to prevent the Patriots from going undefeated. A real thriller, great game. Tom Petty did well.

XLIII 2009
Steelers-Cardinals: 27-23, Steelers in one of the more exciting games I've seen. The longest play in Super Bowl history, Harrison's 100-yard INT return, is featured. The Cardinals stage a fine comeback and Warner(Quartrback of the Rams in XXXIV and XXXVI) throws for the second most yards in a Super Bowl(He holds the top three spots: XXXIV, XLIII, XXXVI). Great plays b both offenses in the 4th quarter. Incredible game, second or third best of the decade. Also the best halftime show.

So, here is my ranking:
1- Patriots-Panthers
2- Rams-Titans
3- Steelers-Cardinals
4- Giants-Patriots
5- Rams-Patriots
6- Patriots-Eagles
7- Colts-Bears
8- Bucs-Raiders
9- Steelers-Seahawks
10- Ravens-Giants

BTW, this keyboard seems to be targetting my vowels.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:I didn't watch it. I'm not much of a sports fan, but where there any good commercials? Those are probably the only thing good about the super bowl.

Well, here's a list of the 10 best and worst Super Bowl commercials of today.
Still the same as it ever was.
aparsons

Postby aparsons » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:18 pm

That game was a bunch of sh*t. There were too many bullsh*t calls, everybody was against us, 92 should been thrown out of the game because of all the agression. That td right before halftime was sh*t too. 92 never had both feet in the endzone. You could clearly see that in the replay and the front page of the sports section showed it too. The refs were against us with a lot of bullsh*t penalties, that last int shouldn't have been called because warner had his arm forward and the guy was trying to force the ball out so shouldn't that be roughing the passer? Instead of the one they did call? Roethlisberger already had the ball away and the defender never touched him. If it wasn't for all that, it would've been the other way around.
Favorite Character: Kyle
Favorite Episodes: Tsst, Tonsil Trouble, Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy
Known as kylesbigfan69 on kylefanclub.com
aparsons

Postby aparsons » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:I didn't watch it. I'm not much of a sports fan, but where there any good commercials? Those are probably the only thing good about the super bowl.

My favorite one was the doritos one where the old guy got hit in the balls with the snow globe.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm

aparsons wrote:That td right before halftime was sh*t too. 92 never had both feet in the endzone. You could clearly see that in the replay and the front page of the sports section showed it too.

What replay were you watching? As soon as the ball crosses the plane of the goal, the play is over. Harrison didn't need to get any feet down in play in order for the score to count. That's why guys can "dive for the pylon" and score.
Plus, Larry Fitzgerald kept Harrison's knee from touching the ground as he tackled him. The correct call was made.

Easily the most entertaining play of the game.

ShaneHaughey wrote:The halftime show was good. You got a great musician like BruceSpringsteen and th E Street Band, and unlike th past few halftime shows, he is still spry enough to be exciting.

I could NOT stop laughing after The Boss did that nut-first slide into a cameraman! Priceless!

Favorite commercial was either the moose head one for Monster or the Doritos snow-globe-in-the-nuts spot that's been mentioned.

Somebody want to tell me why NBC got Matt Millian to be one of the analysts for this game? Who gives a sh*t what the man behind the worst franchise in league history thinks? He should face criminal charges for that sorry excuse for a team in Detroit. He needs to be banned from all football-related activities for life. And this is from a Packers fan!

You read it! You can't unread it!
aparsons

Postby aparsons » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Another thing, holmes' last td was called wrong too. He didn't have both feet down when he got into the endzone and i don't give a f*ck what the ref said. One foot was out when he had total control of the ball.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 pm

aparsons wrote:That game was a bunch of sh*t. There were too many bullsh*t calls, everybody was against us, 92 should been thrown out of the game because of all the agression. That td right before halftime was sh*t too. 92 never had both feet in the endzone. You could clearly see that in the replay and the front page of the sports section showed it too. The refs were against us with a lot of bullsh*t penalties, that last int shouldn't have been called because warner had his arm forward and the guy was trying to force the ball out so shouldn't that be roughing the passer? Instead of the one they did call? Roethlisberger already had the ball away and the defender never touched him. If it wasn't for all that, it would've been the other way around.

You've got some facts messed up.

James Harrison(92) had the TD. He was in bounds the whole way- and if you are in bounds with possession of the ball as he had, all that has to happen is the ball to cross the end zone. You have it confused with a reception IN the end zone for a TD.
He should have been thrown out for that personal foul.

The last play for the Cards was close. They DID review it very quickly, and if you watched the game you would hav heard the announcers say that. They ruled it, sadly, a fumble. But even if it wasn't a fumble, there would have been little time left and the chances of the Cards winning are in the 1% area.

The only bullsh*t penalty on the Cards was the personal foul on...Darns something. Defense, during the drive when they had three penalties.

BTW, I know it sucks. You heard me bitching about the officiating o XL. I used to have like twenty calls that angered me, now it is around four, and all four are solid. Cards fan have no calls that directly lead to points or likely would have givn them points.
There were some bad calls, but make sure your complaints are solid.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

aparsons wrote:Another thing, holmes' last td was called wrong too. He didn't have both feet down when he got into the endzone and i don't give a f*ck what the ref said. One foot was out when he had total control of the ball.

I was rooting for the Cards at that point, but they got it right. He dragged his toe and made the catch. I have yet to se anyoe say he didn't catch it except for Cardinal fans. At least in XL the poor calls had people blasting it from all around.

Listen, the Cards played a great game. They were 9-7, no one expected them to do anything except lose. It was a shock to make the playoffs, then win a game, then get on a roll and make the Super Bowl. Then they got down 20-7 into the 4th, and managed to take the lead 23-20 with little time left.
aparsons

Postby aparsons » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm not saying he didn't catch it, it looked like when he got control of the ball and landed, one foot was out of bounds. There were even some steeler fans who were customers where my mom works, that said some of those calls shouldn't have happened. But them losing doesn't, in any way, make a lot of people lose faith in the cards. It was a historic season, and they shut a lot of people up who said the cards didn't have what it take to be in the playoffs. There was a huge welcome home thing at the airport yesterday and it just shows that everybody here has something to be proud of with this football team. I'll be looking forward to seeing them give other teams hell, and even some retribution against shittsburgh.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”