Moderator: Big-Will

JohnHorn

Re: f*cking economy!

Postby JohnHorn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:15 pm

:lol: Vive la revolotiona.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:34 pm

I feel sorry for anybody trying to enter the workforce after graduation (high school or college) this spring. Companies could hold cage death matches as part of the interview process and they'll still get tons of applicants.

This deep recession was decades in the making. Relative to the cost of living, wages for the majority of US workers have been totally stagnant. Everyone's paycheck doesn't go as far so to maintain their lifestyle, they need to buy on credit. As a result, it became increasingly profitable to be a lender. Lenders start lending more and more to people who have less and less because it makes them more money.

But it's all imaginary money. And reality caught up to the fantasy. Suddenly it's all worthless.

Throw the peak oil problem into the mix and we've dug ourselves in pretty damn deep; so deep that it will probably cost Obama a chance at a second term.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:27 pm

:lol: let’s never forget who is guilty the banks!
aparsons

Postby aparsons » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:52 pm

It's affected me even before we were declared under a recession. I've been out of work since august and i don't even count the job i had in november, which only lasted a month and that had nothing to do with the economy. I finally did manage to get my ass to college and hopefully it won't be so hard when i'm done. Sometimes with medical assistants when you go to a place for externship, they'll just hire you to start working there right off the bat when you get done.
Favorite Character: Kyle
Favorite Episodes: Tsst, Tonsil Trouble, Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy
Known as kylesbigfan69 on kylefanclub.com
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:45 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:I feel sorry for anybody trying to enter the workforce after graduation (high school or college) this spring. Companies could hold cage death matches as part of the interview process and they'll still get tons of applicants.

This deep recession was decades in the making. Relative to the cost of living, wages for the majority of US workers have been totally stagnant. Everyone's paycheck doesn't go as far so to maintain their lifestyle, they need to buy on credit. As a result, it became increasingly profitable to be a lender. Lenders start lending more and more to people who have less and less because it makes them more money.

But it's all imaginary money. And reality caught up to the fantasy. Suddenly it's all worthless.

Throw the peak oil problem into the mix and we've dug ourselves in pretty damn deep; so deep that it will probably cost Obama a chance at a second term.

*sigh* I know when I get out of here I will have a difficult time finding a job. I don't even know why I am in college, it's useless, because I have more of a chance to get a laboring job that nobody wants then a high paying job. I chose computer science because I somewhat know that there is a possiblity of some fields open for it.... but as my grades are currently it doesn't matter...
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Frosty_D wrote:*sigh* I know when I get out of here I will have a difficult time finding a job. I don't even know why I am in college, it's useless, because I have more of a chance to get a laboring job that nobody wants then a high paying job. I chose computer science because I somewhat know that there is a possiblity of some fields open for it.... but as my grades are currently it doesn't matter...

My advice to anyone in their last year or two of college is keep your eyes and ears open for internships. The biggest reason companies work with universities to run internships is so they can have a ready supply of pre-trained individuals who can easily step in to any openings they might have. This is how I got my job.

With the economy the way it is, you might think none of them would be hiring, but one of the things places might be doing right now is laying off more experienced, higher paid workers and bring in new people they can pay a starting salary and cut their total costs. This is what happened at my place of work this month, minus the bringing on new people part. In these lean times, if a company can pay a new person less to do the same job of someone who's been around for several years, they will be considering it as a way to survive the recession.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:51 am

This is my first year here, but yea, I'm kinda looking into them already. I do know that there will probally be a lot of people who are looking for the same jobs as I though... :?

I found a cracked article relating to this sooooo...: http://www.cracked.com/article_16676_6- ... under.html
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Alternatively self employment or government jobs, it’s still better to volunteer, then to be stuck without a job.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Explain to me why you think volenteering will help. You get no money for it, and it's not like it's on your record or anything. It's only better if you are hoping to go to college or something, gives you a better chance to join the one you want, but not much more.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Well…… It’s better then being stuck home…… when unemployed.
Also, ah… their are organizations that actuall still need to provide for you; a little bit because were they are active. Which is better then starving of a public allowance, that can go down bellow the price toast.
I guess that and government job?… well if your doing nothing their you don't get fired.

At the end on that side I don't know a real solution unless growing your own food and drinking rain water counts, as a real solution, pretty much I don't know obviously one can save up before the crisis, however how will one do that, without doing similar things to that.[sacrifice is possible]
also volunteer work helping you get into collage here nope, no no no; youd hope you were in collage by that age, and if your not you still have to study one more year if your not by then the thing is…… that………………… your then of job getting age before your in collage, which is even more counter productive.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”