Has "feminism" & womans civil rights movement got off track?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Just_Jackie

Has "feminism" & womans civil rights movement got off track?

Postby Just_Jackie » Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 pm

I saw something today that just really irk'd me and I have been forced to just...reexamine my whole way of thinking. I wanted to ask what you guys thought. I think of alot of you as rational people so lets see what you all think.

I think that the idea of feminism is still something that is very much needed. When women in the world are getting lashes for being raped then there is still work to be done.

But then, I saw this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30501798/?gt1=43001

This is an article that tells the story of a eight year old girl who was forced to marry a 50 year old man when she was essentially sold to him for the equivalent of $13k (by her father of all people).

Now, I don't think anyone here would disagree that that is simply awful. But, I feel like, when you look at that, the idea that a lot of women have about what feminism is....is really petty.

Everyone here knows I am a Libertarian so I didn't vote for McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden and knew I wouldn't from the start. But that article really made me think about this last election, Sarah Palin, and how "feminist" priorities, IMO, are just off.

First of all, I am very pro choice. I think a woman should be able to get an abortion, even if she was just careless or irresponsible. But, I also very much believe in freedom of speech and feel that Sarah Palin was treated very badly. She was stripped of her womanhood by people like Roseanne (Barr) and Gloria Steinem because she expressed her opinion on abortion, which is something women in the 20's, in some cases, died for. For women to have a voice. She could have been treated just any other politician...like GWB and John McCain are treated, but people attacked her as a woman. Saying things like the biggest farce about her is that she's a woman....Roseanne even attacked her for allowing her husband to raise her kids while she worked. Isn't that something women have been trying to get for ages? Respect and help for working moms?

Either way, when we look at Sarah Palin as an American who was simply speaking her mind, even if you disagree with what she was saying...then looking at this article about 8 year old girls being sold to men whos only interest is making them into sex slaves (does anyone really think this 50 year old wanted anything other than this girls virginity?)...am I the only one who thinks maybe our priorities are just a tab bit off? Maybe not even only as feminists, but just people who care about human and civil rights?
gtaca2005

Re: Has "feminism" & womans civil rights movement got off track?

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Gonna seem strange, but I do think the media killed Palin's image even more with unnecessary, petty things having to do with much about nothing. But, her political positions are still crazy to me. :lol:

But this doesn't change my mind on feminine issues. I think women are treated horribly around the world, and something needs to be done, like sanctions against oppressive nations from the UN.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri May 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:But, I feel like, when you look at that, the idea that a lot of women have about what feminism is....is really petty.

That's what feminism in the Western Wolrd is., compared to issues like 8-year old girls being forced to marry to some 50-year old predators. You can't compare American issues to what's going on in Saudi Arabia. It's so far beyond being feminist that to even call them feminist is to, by definition, downplay the direness of the situation; An eight year old child being "legally" sold as a commodity and raped is NOT a feminist issue. A woman being legally stoned as "punishment" for being raped is also not a feminist issue- these are human rights issues that are everyone's concerns.

Just_Jackie wrote: Sarah Palin, and how "feminist" priorities, IMO, are just off.

Sarah Palin just plain sucks and shouldn't enter into any legitimate discussion about anything. :P
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 pm

I hate Sarah palin with a passion(not because of abortion; other issues)but you may be right. Now... I think the media did a lot to kill Sarah Palin's image, but you have to admit she did some of that herself with the way she acted. I agree that women should be able to speak their mind, just like everyone else, but sadly, this a society where that will happen. There will always be a media figure to attack you based on what you say and your opinions, Republican or Democrat. But, remember, this happens to men and women alike. I believe in equality; I don't see how this is different from a man doing that to another man.

At the end of this post, I remind you all I still really dislike Sarah Palin, for many reasons.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
robosoldier

Postby robosoldier » Sat May 02, 2009 1:42 am

Feminism = rapists of this society. I sure hope I don't get censored as this is SOUTH PARK.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat May 02, 2009 4:08 am

robosoldier wrote:Feminism = rapists of this society.

I do hope you can back this up. If not, I will ban you for a while. You've already been reported, but I'mo wait for you to speak first.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:18 am

Big-Will wrote:
robosoldier wrote:Feminism = rapists of this society.

I do hope you can back this up. If not, I will ban you for a while. You've already been reported, but I'mo wait for you to speak first.

As much as I disagree with his statement, what about free speech? :?

Let him dig himself into a hole, and we'll just cover it up with sh*t and silence his voice that way. :lol:
(Metaphor)

If he gets too crazy, then ban. :wink:
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sat May 02, 2009 4:20 am

There's freedom of speech and then there's trolling.

He just came in and made an offensive statement without any so called "speech" to back up what he said.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat May 02, 2009 4:24 am

I doubt the guy will try to defend his 'statement.' He just wanted to be a troll. But it would be funny to watch him attempt an argument based on his 'assertion' and inevitably fail, look like an idiot, and then get banned. 8)
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:26 am

Pip Tweek wrote:I doubt the guy will try to defend his 'statement.' He just wanted to be a troll. But it would be funny to watch him attempt an argument based on his 'assertion' and inevitably fail, look like an idiot, and then get banned. 8)

THAT'S what I want! :lol:

We haven't had a fun PWNAGE secession here in AGES!

And the new users haven't seen one of these events yet.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat May 02, 2009 5:46 am

Oh, I wanna see one! :D
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sat May 02, 2009 6:04 am

The last one was that douche that tried to talk about Vibe Magazine doing a story on African genital mutilation.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 am

You mean Wearelegion guy? That was nothing compared to a little overboard.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:40 am

Anyway, back on topic:

I think a big step forward in women's rights can happen if Obama appoints another women to the Supreme Court, since Souter stepped down.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:34 am

Well, although from everything I have seen of Sarah Palin, I can't stand the woman, and I am pro choice, but I don't believe that all women who consider themselves feminists have to believe the same on all points. A woman can be against abortion, but at the same time agree with feminists on other points. Not all people think the same, why is that so hard for people to understand?. I am very much for equal rights for women, but I strongly disagree with things feminists say about how the horror genre degrades women, and I think that feminists who bitch too much about how women are portrayed in movies and other entertainment are doing more harm than good to their cause. They are alienating people, making all feminists look like a bunch of uptight bitches who want to force their views down everyone's throat, which is maybe why that little bastard would say what he did if he was serious. And there are more important issues than whether or not our entertainment isn't 100 percent PC, as the example of the girl being forced to marry a 50 year old pervert illustrates.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”