It seems Sarah Palin is resigning...

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Pip Tweek

Re: It seems Sarah Palin is resigning...

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 am

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:
I thought it would be relevant....

I lolled, and lolled heartily. Thanks Kmac.

Palin for President - NO. freaking. way....

...evar.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:50 pm

See, this is why despite the fact that I don't like Sarah Palin as a candidate, I feel the need to defend her sometime. The blatent bias is obvious.

It was okay for Obama to leave his seat open, not doing the job he was hired to do because he was pursuing a job that he'd rather have. He could have stepped down and let someone else take that seat so the people could be having their needs meet while he ran. But he held onto it, while he was not functioning as a senator...so he could still have the job in case he lost the bid for presidency. If you're Barack Obama, the Jesus like political rock star, that's not selfish.

If you're Sarah Palin and decide to run for President (as that's why I believe she stepped down) and you vacate your seat so someone else can serve the constituents as an executive in a way you can't, you're selfish.

What is the point of having the title of governor (or senator) if you aren't actually doing the job? Is it really better it keep the job without actually doing it?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Obama "the jesus like political rock star" didn't step down two and a half years before the campaign trail started. People are only assuming her reason for running. The bias against her is due to people coming to the informed decision that she's a lunatic.

I agree, step down if your mind will be elsewhere, but this should count against her if she runs for president; do you want someone being president who'll step down the moment something more interesting comes into view?

Her not having power is enough for me.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:See, this is why despite the fact that I don't like Sarah Palin as a candidate, I feel the need to defend her sometime. The blatent bias is obvious.

If you're Sarah Palin and decide to run for President (as that's why I believe she stepped down) ....

That's just it - she never said she was stepping down to campaign for President. Your defense of her is based on an assumption, so don't talk about 'blatant bias' or you'll upset my tummy. :roll:

I wouldn't be critical of her for "stepping down" in order to start campaigning full-time for the Presidency even if that we're the case instead of just a speculation....

superiorsavior wrote: The bias against her is due to people coming to the informed decision that she's a lunatic.

That's what we're getting at here.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 pm

To be honest JJ, I don't care if she's leaving (or why) or staying. The media just draws attention to it for no real reason except that she was running for VP.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I will leave my executive experience up for debate, and make another point instead.

John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain’s commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush’s failed economic policies, that’s not the change we need, it’s just more of the same.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:21 pm

^^
lol

Must've been difficult to run Alaska where you don't have to worry about losing votes from adjusting tax policy to balance your budget or something. You've just got to make sure the oil royalty checks keep going out. Anybody used to play Sim City and use the "priscilla" cheat to give yourself a bunch more money? I imagine running Alaska is a lot like that.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:
Just_Jackie wrote:See, this is why despite the fact that I don't like Sarah Palin as a candidate, I feel the need to defend her sometime. The blatent bias is obvious.

If you're Sarah Palin and decide to run for President (as that's why I believe she stepped down) ....

That's just it - she never said she was stepping down to campaign for President. Your defense of her is based on an assumption, so don't talk about 'blatant bias' or you'll upset my tummy. :roll:

I'm really not worried about your tummy.

And I do think she's running for President. I may not be able to prove with hard facts that she is, but alot of the evidence points that way. People don't decide to run on Monday and announce their candidacy on Tuesday. Fundraising for a run for office takes years. Even Hilary, with all the time she had to prepare still had to lay down her own money...and she's still in debt now.

And you can't prove that she's not running for president.

And the whole idea that she's a "lunatic" because she doesn't conform to your beliefs is exactly what I'm talking about. People are bad in some kind of way just because they don't share your beliefs. That's extremely closed minded. I wish I could have that kind of bravado but I've been forced to accept that if you want to respect people then you have to respect that they all have different beliefs. And they do deserve kindness and respect, despite the fact that they don't think as you do.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:14 pm

I am going to agree with you that I think she is running for president. But I would like to point something out:

And you can't prove that she's not running for president.

Sorry to paraphrase the Dawkinator, but it's true. Would you believe in an invisible pink unicorn living in space, simply because it can't be disproven?

I really think she is a little crazy, not a lunatic though.

I do find the feminists to be the true lunatics when it comes to Palin, and greatly more so with Hillary. (PUMA)

Feminists may think, hallelujah, woman in power... But equality is only reached when we judge a crazy woman as we'd judge a crazy man.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:33 pm

^^^

As I already said, the issue is not about whether or not she's going to campaign for the Presidency.

Just_Jackie wrote:
And the whole idea that she's a "lunatic" because she doesn't conform to your beliefs is exactly what I'm talking about. People are bad in some kind of way just because they don't share your beliefs. That's extremely closed minded.

Yeah, maybe Hitler wasn't off his rocker either and most of the civilized world just didn't get what he was on about. I'm not drawing a comparison in any way; I'm just applying your analogy to someone else to make a point. But let's forget about that for a minute - the semantics of the word "lunatic" does not entail demonizing someone because of their beliefs. I generally agreed with SS's word because of my own observations that have little to do with what she stands for (or will say she stands for); it's about her competence as a leader and a representative of the public.

Just_Jackie wrote: I wish I could have that kind of bravado but I've been forced to accept that if you want to respect people then you have to respect that they all have different beliefs.

Respect must be earned - this is a universal truth for all people - and the more power and responsibility one would assume, the more respect must be earned. I have a basic level of respect for all humans who are generally good people with good intentions. That's not the same as the kind of faith I need to have for a nation's leader.

Just_Jackie wrote:And they do deserve kindness and respect, despite the fact that they don't think as you do.

See above.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:35 pm

He was saying that I was being biased with my opinion because I couldn't prove it. So I decided to take a second to point out that the fact that he's claiming I'm biased can't be proven either.... because he doesn't know that she's not running for president. I figure to just you know, upset his poor tummy just a little bit more.

One of the biggest problems in American politics have is that people are just WAY to mean. There is no reason why politics should get so personal. Sarah Palin has never attacked anyone personally here, so to come out and attack her in that way, is nothing short of childish. I don't want her as president either. We disagree on two of the most important issues to me, gay marriage and abortion. But the minute one group starts lashing out at another, then the thought mentality comes that says, "Well if this person is going to attack me that way I will do it right back." and when communication stops, that's when politics really suffers. It's supposed to be about what's best for everyone, not just members of one group...despite the God given superiority that some people have that, unfortunately Sarah Palin and I missed out on.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Palin's experience explained:

Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:He was saying that I was being biased with my opinion because I couldn't prove it. So I decided to take a second to point out that the fact that he's claiming I'm biased can't be proven either.... because he doesn't know that she's not running for president. I figure to just you know, upset his poor tummy just a little bit more.

Do I need to point out the glaring logical fallacy here?
Uh oh here comes the acid reflux...

Just_Jackie wrote:One of the biggest problems in American politics have is that people are just WAY to mean. There is no reason why politics should get so personal.

Government affects all of our lives personally.

Just_Jackie wrote:It's supposed to be about what's best for everyone, not just members of one group...despite the God given superiority that some people have that, unfortunately Sarah Palin and I missed out on.

How humble.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 pm

I highly recommend watching the Couric/Palin interview that changed the election:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... ;wc4481383
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:20 am

I've seen it.

She wasn't prepped for that interview. This has long since been common knowledge. Politicians are prepped for interviews. They don't just go in and know the answers to everything off the top of their head. No one is that smart. A person who is running for office should probably know this kind of stuff 24/7, but they don't. Palin doesn't and neither does anyone else. That's why they are prepped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7zhnctF4c

Take a look at this. This is a press conference where Obama says he doesn't know the meaning of a word in Austrian. The problem is there is no such thing as an Austrian language. They speak German.

So, does this mean Obama is stupid and deserves to be ridiculed?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”