Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BlueEyes4u2nv

Re: Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

Postby BlueEyes4u2nv » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:50 am

"Kicks self in the bum"

I have dial up, Torture. My high tech computer deserves better.
pussycat
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:14 am

This damn bug my computer has is really starting to piss me off. (the one where it refuses to realize that it's connected to ac when the "plugged in" light is on) When I took that A+ course, one of my instructors showed us where malware likes to hide itself, and of course I can't remember how to get to it.
spfan1494

Postby spfan1494 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Eh, a lot of things have been pissing me off lately with my laptop, but now that I've got everything sorted out, it's gonna be alright.
"It's not over until someone gives up the ghost."- My own quote.
"You never know what'll happen when you're on... Snork Patrol!" -Corky
"Change, or die." -Chef Gordon Ramsay
Cartkicker24

Postby Cartkicker24 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:36 pm

BRMBug wrote:This damn bug my computer has is really starting to piss me off. (the one where it refuses to realize that it's connected to ac when the "plugged in" light is on) When I took that A+ course, one of my instructors showed us where malware likes to hide itself, and of course I can't remember how to get to it.

Windows Shitsta laptop?

Cartman5678 wrote:
Michaeloptv wrote:I am DREADING the internet speed :|

My new school has LIMITED wireless power, as in Castleton had FULL wireless power *albeight most of it was done during my sophmore year! :P *

So yea, my internet will be VERY slow again, and it's gonna sux. I just hope it will be do able. It should, but you never know.... :cry:

wired connection ftw :P

Yes myself, wired connection ftw :P

ETHERNET :P
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 am

Nope. XP sp3. But my LT is 5 years old, and the board is 2 yrs. old, so it is possible that the problem is physical.
Cartkicker24

Postby Cartkicker24 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:58 am

Battery charges?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:52 am

Yeah. And it only does this while it's on. When it's turned off, it sees the AC block and charges just fine.
I think I need to just break down and back up everything, just do a restore. To sort of reset the thing and get it to charge the battery while it's on I keep having to plug in and unplug the power cord, and that's going to wear out the jack in no time at all. Not to mention the fact that this thing only lasts about 45 minutes to an hour on a charge now.
Cartkicker24

Postby Cartkicker24 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:54 am

Bad battery
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:00 am

Nope. I tells ya, it's a f*cking virus. The battery is old though. And it's only lasted this long (3 yrs) because when I was on AC I'd take it out.
Cartkicker24

Postby Cartkicker24 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:12 am

the battery is certainly dead. you need a new one

you may also have a short on the motherboard
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:08 pm

I know very much what it's like to have a totally dead motherboard...happened to me last summer. Actually, I think the power supply went, and took the mobo with it. At least now I have a mobo with a damn PCI-e slot so I can actually have a not-old-as-shit video card on here, lol.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:29 pm

BRMBug wrote:This damn bug my computer has is really starting to piss me off. (the one where it refuses to realize that it's connected to ac when the "plugged in" light is on) When I took that A+ course, one of my instructors showed us where malware likes to hide itself, and of course I can't remember how to get to it.

How do you charge your laptop's battery? Usually you can use your laptop while the battery's still in it charging up. Mine will tell me when the battery is fully charged, then I just unplug it and the laptop will switch to battery mode, telling me how much time I have left till the next charge (its screen dims a little, but that's fine.) The laptop is three years old though, so maybe its battery management is better.

Viruses usually f*ck with your files, not with your battery or power supply. You might want to check your BIOS and CMOS settings
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Cartkicker24

Postby Cartkicker24 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:02 pm

Big-Will wrote:

How do you charge your laptop's battery? Usually you can use your laptop while the battery's still in it charging up. Mine will tell me when the battery is fully charged, then I just unplug it and the laptop will switch to battery mode, telling me how much time I have left till the next charge (its screen dims a little, but that's fine.) The laptop is three years old though, so maybe its battery management is better.

Viruses usually f*ck with your files, not with your battery or power supply. You might want to check your BIOS and CMOS settings

I thinks he's got a bad motherboard. Typical symptoms of hardware problems.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 am

*bonk* Oh kay...
What is... was happening... well ok; Normally, when it's plugged in on AC power, and running with the battery in, all three lights are on (ac connected, power on, battery status light). When it's running on just the battery, the only light on is the power light.
What it's been doing lately (and only when it's running) is somehow disconnecting internally from the AC in such a way that it's running on battery power, the battery status light is off, yet the ac connected light is still on. ( :? I know, right?) What I'd do to sort of "reset" it, is to unplug and re-plug the cord from the back of the machine, and that'd usually work for a while, but it's gotten so, so much worse. The battery does charge when the computer is turned off or hibernating, so that's why I thought it was a virus or something.
I just tried running a sys restore, and it's completely shutting down now, so I do believe my motherboard is fried. Or at least seriously hurting.
It's possible that there may be an overheating issue as well. I'd like to take it apart and clean out the air passages, but I don't know how to do that, and am afraid I'd break it.
I think I'm just going to have to break down and get a new one, which is a shame because I'm not too keen on any of the mid-grade laptops around right now. They're piddly, little anal things, like how I prefer a touch pad that's recessed or has a bezel around it, over something that's completely smooth across the keyboard, and power and headphone jack orientation. Also, a number pad on a laptop just seems weird to me too, it puts the orientation of the keyboard off from the screen.
I've managed to cobble the emachines back together, so I've got that for the time being.
spfan1494

Postby spfan1494 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Eh, sometimes I have an issue with the power supply on my laptop. Sometimes when I plug it in too slowly, it never charges the battery. Eh, but I usually have the computer plugged into the wall to keep the battery charged here at home. I don't see the point in letting it run off the batteries and when the charge dies out, plug it back in here.
"It's not over until someone gives up the ghost."- My own quote.
"You never know what'll happen when you're on... Snork Patrol!" -Corky
"Change, or die." -Chef Gordon Ramsay

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”