Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex

Re: Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:06 pm

I was a little miffed that my old router didn't want to play nice with the cable company's modem after being in storage for 4-5 years. I know the thing was almost 10 years old, but c'mon! I mean I knew I would eventually get a new one since the old one does not put out a WiFi signal, but I was hoping to put that off for a little while. Apparently the built-in obsolescence on those things is shit. The guy at the store said getting two years out of a router is considered good. Christ, that's terrible.

On another topic, I really wish my laptop would stop bugging me to upgrade to Windows 10. Every couple days, "Over 100 billion people have switched to Windows 10! Upgrade now!!"
Screw that.
I should try and learn Linux.

You read it! You can't unread it!
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:I was a little miffed that my old router didn't want to play nice with the cable company's modem after being in storage for 4-5 years. I know the thing was almost 10 years old, but c'mon! I mean I knew I would eventually get a new one since the old one does not put out a WiFi signal, but I was hoping to put that off for a little while. Apparently the built-in obsolescence on those things is shit. The guy at the store said getting two years out of a router is considered good. Christ, that's terrible.

On another topic, I really wish my laptop would stop bugging me to upgrade to Windows 10. Every couple days, "Over 100 billion people have switched to Windows 10! Upgrade now!!"
Screw that.
I should try and learn Linux.
Well, I've got news that Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 in sales in Halloween 2016. That may not be good.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-d ... -one-year/
Still the same as it ever was.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 am

angeldeb82 wrote:Well, I've got news that Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 in sales in Halloween 2016. That may not be good.

So no new machines will be sold with Windows 7 or 8.1 on them. And starting in August, if you want to upgrade to Win 10 from your current Windows 7 or 8.1 machine, you will have to pay to do so. So upgrade for free now, or pay later.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:48 pm

I know it's yesterday, but Adobe Flash Player has been upgraded to 20.0.0.286. Once again check out this link here if you wish to upgrade, okay?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 am

M'kay! :mrgreen:

I wish I knew where my old 3.5 floppies were. I need to pull stuff off them. I wonder if the current version of Word Perfect supports 3.1 files? :lol:
AW! I should pull out the old TI 99/4a!
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:27 am

:evil: John Romero :twisted: has created a new Doom level that people can play after 21 years of hiatus. Here is a link to the people at Game Informer trying the level out. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... level.aspx
What seems to be the officer problem?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:09 am

Big-Will wrote:
angeldeb82 wrote:Well, I've got news that Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 in sales in Halloween 2016. That may not be good.

So no new machines will be sold with Windows 7 or 8.1 on them. And starting in August, if you want to upgrade to Win 10 from your current Windows 7 or 8.1 machine, you will have to pay to do so. So upgrade for free now, or pay later.
I have never upgraded an OS on a computer of mine. By the time a non-current OS might cause a real issue, it's time to upgrade hardware, too, so it makes more sense to get a new computer. Usually works out to be a new system every 5 years or so. At that rate, it'll be 2018 before I need to care at which point I'm sure Microsoft will have Windows 11, which is bound to be slightly suckier than 10.

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 am

Windows 10 is it. MS isn't going any higher with Windows, so no Windows 11 or 12 or 13 or..., just updates to Windows 10.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 am

Big-Will wrote:Windows 10 is it. MS isn't going any higher with Windows, so no Windows 11 or 12 or 13 or..., just updates to Windows 10.
I think there is no way Windows will never have another Windows product as that is not how to make money. It may not be called 11 or 12 yet there will have to be other Windows released at some point. People will want something new and so Windows will be unrecognizable in 10 years maybe. Everything has to be advanced and even if Windows says they will not create a new Windows it is wrong because people and technology will change and new things will be desired.
What seems to be the officer problem?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Oh, well then it will just be like Apple's operating system where everything is updates of Mac OSX. Been like that for a decade.

angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 pm

Firefox 44 arrives with push notifications that sites can send even after users close the page. Okay...

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/firef ... -the-page/
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Oracle will finally kill off the Java browser plugin in 2017. Great...
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/0 ... r-plug-in/
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:48 am

angeldeb82 wrote:Oracle will finally kill off the Java browser plugin in 2017. Great...
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/0 ... r-plug-in/
Right now all I can think about is the hubbub years ago when Apple refused to make their mobile devices work with Flash; a JavaScript platform.
And at the time, everyone was like OMG! WTF? Now look. Everyone has moved on.

angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:01 am

Adobe Flash Player has upgraded once again to version 20.0.0.306. Once again, check out this link here if you wish to upgrade, okay?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:35 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Big-Will wrote:

I have never upgraded an OS on a computer of mine. By the time a non-current OS might cause a real issue, it's time to upgrade hardware, too, so it makes more sense to get a new computer. Usually works out to be a new system every 5 years or so. At that rate, it'll be 2018 before I need to care at which point I'm sure Microsoft will have Windows 11, which is bound to be slightly suckier than 10.

I wish I wouldn't have gave into the annoying MS pop ups and stuck with 8.1. I kind of liked 8.1 overall. 10 is just a buggy mess, and I do more tinkering than I ever did before.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”