What is your favorite scary movie?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

steelspine

Re: What is your favorite scary movie?

Postby steelspine » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I agree seemed John Carpenter's Halloween or its sequel
never took time to explain why Michahel killed or why he primarily targeted his family until part 5 or 6 although when I
heard people whining that Michael was having hallucinations
in the part 2 remake it kind of makes sense given how the first
ended and that he wasn't intended to be invincable but most
defenitely my favorite part of the first was how they altered
Dr.Loomis's character to profit more off of michael's case it
made him seem more human.

last I heard Rob Zombie is either directing or writing maybe both a remake of The Blob (which struck me more as science fiction with minimal horror elements from my memory of the original although the 90's remake wasn't too bad.) The only thing that bummed me out about that is when I heard they were remaking A nightmare on Elm St. I thought it would be interest ing to see what he could do in terms of the psychological aspect of the horror (still I hope he doesn't limit himself to remakes) and brings another original creation to life.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am

Yeah I have heard that Zombie is doing a remake of The Blob...That should be pretty cool..I am actually going to take my mom, because she saw the original version of that film when it first came out, and she was scared by it...Hopefully before Zombie starts making the movie, he comes on tour to Washington state.

It seems, to some Halloween fans, the whole idea that Micheal killed without any reason in the first Halloween is a big deal. Maybe that idea was believable in the 70's,but now, most people know about psychology, and know enough about serial killers that they know what things might trigger someone who is a psychopath to kill people. Or if a movie was going for a more supernatural theme, it is expected anymore that the supernatural elements be explained..Look at The Ring for instance, after that movie came out, it seems that most movies that deal with ghosts have a big explanation of why they were haunting the main characters. So I don't know how believable people today would find a movie where a kid, who seems to come from a normal family, just decides to kill his sister for no reason at all. You know, I ought to go to the official Halloween board and say this..I haven't had a good internet arguement in a long time..LOL...
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:49 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Yeah I have heard that Zombie is doing a remake of The Blob...That should be pretty cool..I am actually going to take my mom, because she saw the original version of that film when it first came out, and she was scared by it...Hopefully before Zombie starts making the movie, he comes on tour to Washington state.

It seems, to some Halloween fans, the whole idea that Micheal killed without any reason in the first Halloween is a big deal. Maybe that idea was believable in the 70's,but now, most people know about psychology, and know enough about serial killers that they know what things might trigger someone who is a psychopath to kill people. Or if a movie was going for a more supernatural theme, it is expected anymore that the supernatural elements be explained..Look at The Ring for instance, after that movie came out, it seems that most movies that deal with ghosts have a big explanation of why they were haunting the main characters. So I don't know how believable people today would find a movie where a kid, who seems to come from a normal family, just decides to kill his sister for no reason at all. You know, I ought to go to the official Halloween board and say this..I haven't had a good internet arguement in a long time..LOL...

Well if you do give them Hell, but it is rather sad that nowadays
you can't intertwine the psychological with the supernatural just
because fans view them as polarising components in a story, I
mean that's what made the original Twilight Zone such a classic
tv series and to a certain extent Tales from the Dark Side (sorry to start rambling on about horror televison but I kind of considered these shows to be the South Park of their time) talking about what most shows wouldn't. But now if you want
social commentary in horror you really have to hunt for it rather
than sit through a 2 hour gore fest not that there's anything wrong with that in moderation but sometimes it's nice to feed
the imagination without looking at the flaws.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:08 am

I forgot to menttion intertwining horror with psychological
suspense and horror are what made The Shining and Alien so good by playing off of a strong claustrauphobic
sense or creating one within the audience I almost forgot to ask
earlier did they ever release The Tales From the Darkside movie on dvd? I know around every Halloween they've released the last two seasons.

But one of the things I am looking forward to seeing is Tim Burton's film adaptation of Dark Shadows that is one of
the few things from when I was younger that hasn't lost any
of it's quality even looking back at it on dvd plus Burton seems
like he would respect the series mythology granted even I've
lost count of how many episodes there were.
-- Anonymous
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:22 am

Yeah, the movie Tales From The DarkSide is on dvd, I rented it from Blockbuster a few months ago..

I am a huge Tim Burton fan..I will see any of his movies.

The Shining has been one of my favorite movies for a long time.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am

I just rented the remake of Children of the corn ( it seemed appropriate for thanks giving lol) and I am glad they actually
made it I remember seeing the original when I was 14 and how
horribly dissapointed I was with the ending but the remake (which I think originally aired on the sci-fi channel) was much
more faithful to the book and the theme of zealotisim It's just
ashame Stephen King didn't want anything to do with the film.
I think if there were ever a book that I would read of his is if he
considered doing a prequel to Pet Symetary as a historical
periodical piece, at the point "When the ground went sour."
plus not having the conveinience of modern weaponry to add
to the suspense of how to fight back?

Also Clive Barker's Book of Blood was a nice change it's been a
while since I've seen a good ghost story that didn't over layer itself with too much backstory but enough to think you understand who these characters are and what their goals are.

children of corn remake 8/10
Book of blood 9/10
-- Anonymous
alchemist anarchy

Postby alchemist anarchy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm

i don't really have a favorite scary movie. the original dawn of the dead was really good though.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:13 am

alchemist anarchy wrote:i don't really have a favorite scary movie. the original dawn of the dead was really good though.

Yeah Romero's dead films are classics I can't wait until they release surrvival of the dead in 2010.
-- Anonymous
B_Hammock

Postby B_Hammock » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:00 pm

A Nightmare On Elm Street, the 1st, 3rd, and 4th would have to be my favourites. No horror movie compares to that for me, it's the only movie I know that is scary, creepy and funny at the same time.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 am

B_Hammock wrote:A Nightmare On Elm Street, the 1st, 3rd, and 4th would have to be my favourites. No horror movie compares to that for me, it's the only movie I know that is scary, creepy and funny at the same time.

Have you heard about the remake? I kind of hope it goes more
in detail how he became a dream demon or whatever term you
may refer to him as but he was as close to the perfect monster
as you can get he was a monster when he was alive ( a pedophile) and after the towns people took their revenge he became a demon that terrorized anyone who so much as heard
his name ( dream demon) there probably is a specific term in mythology but none come to mind at the moment but the one thing I've heard about the remake is that while freddie's alive his
character is going to be more Ed Gein like as kind of a town weirdo / loner.

But I loved the first Nightmare on Elm Street
Last edited by steelspine on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Anonymous
SquidBurrito

Postby SquidBurrito » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:09 am

Suspiria, Cemetery Man, and Alien are probably my favorite horror movies. Last House on the Left (the original) is up there as well.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 am

SquidBurrito wrote:Suspiria, Cemetery Man, and Alien are probably my favorite horror movies. Last House on the Left (the original) is up there as well.

I keep hearing back and fourth but wasn't cemetary man based
on a comic book? I think it may have been a european one not
sure of the country. But Noggie (The short stubby guy)was funny as hell.
-- Anonymous
SquidBurrito

Postby SquidBurrito » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:48 am

Yeah, Cemetery Man was based on a comic. I don't know if there's an English version available, though. Noggie is amazing in that movie.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 am

For some reason I couldn't really get into Cemetary Man, don't know why..I could try watching it again.
steelspine

Postby steelspine » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:For some reason I couldn't really get into Cemetary Man, don't know why..I could try watching it again.

It wasn't a great film but it had its moments personally I liked
Peter Jackson's Dead Alive which most critics say contains
the goriest action sequence in film, plus it was probably the first
zombedy ever made. It's amazing the same director made the Lord of the rings trilogy.
-- Anonymous

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”