Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize.... :/

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex

Re: Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize.... :/

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Back to the subject of nukes.

Some historians consider the Cold War arms build up to be a complete farce. They have come to the conclusion that the Soviet Union would never have actually waged a war directly against the United States.

An entire generation of Russians had been so thoroughly devastated by WWII that most of the leadership in the USSR wanted no part in another world war. They lost some 25 million people in WWII so they had first hand knowledge of seeing one's homeland pushed to the brink; cities bombed out; family and friends killed; massive refugee crisis.

This contrasts with the United States which saw no major attacks against its homeland. Even Pearl Harbor pales in comparison to what happened to cities like St. Petersburg (Leningrad) and Volgograd (Stalingrad) and Pearl wasn't even on the mainland.

This theory says the Soviets would have never initiated a first strike and, like America, only stockpiled tons of nukes as a deterrent.

I'm not sure I can completely accept this viewpoint given the number of provocative actions they engaged in during the Cold War. I can see the Cuban Missile Crisis as a response to US nukes in Turkey. I can understand their desire to hold on to the Warsaw Pact countries given their history with Germany. I don't agree with their actions, but I understand them.

But then we get stuff like the documented instances of Soviet pilots flying combat missions during the Korean War or their invasion of Afghanistan; a country that posed no threat to them whatsoever. Stuff like this doesn't sound like the actions of a country that would avoid another world war at all costs. But I still find it interesting to subjectively evaluate the actions of the Soviet Union without a pro-western bias.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Interesting americans hypocrits in their own involving in that situation.
babyjane

Re: Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize....

Postby babyjane » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:33 pm

i don't think its such a big deal to state whether he deserves it or not. just let him be. i mean we're not gonna give him a prize just for doing nothing, right?
jakeryan72

Postby jakeryan72 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:09 am

Big-Will wrote:
jakeryan72 wrote:What is Americas obsession with being liked by other country's??

It has a biiig ego. :) Wouldn't you worry about being liked if you were hated by other people around you and you had to deal with them on a daily basis?

What i really want to say is that it just seems like Americans dwell on being liked and in doing so they compromise what they believe. Compromise in itself isn't wrong, but for the sake of making people like you... its GAY <---- (best descriptor i could come up with) :)
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am

JohnHorn wrote:It doesn't for me.– I’m probably one of 80% of the people who “Hates—Americans” As a matter of fact using that term consistantly… I don't just hate americans i super-super-super-super-hate-americans because… I seam to actually hate them.

You may hate me, but you are among my favorite posters here.... :(

Why does one of the people that I agree with politically for the most part hate us.... :lol:
"If the President has a BLT tomorrow, the Republicans will try to ban bacon."
-Alan Grayson

"Tolerance of intolerance is just as good as intolerance."
-TheAmazingAtheist

Formerly: gtaca2005 Member since: Thu Jan 06, 2005
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 am

Oh come on John..You shouldn't hate everyone in America based on the actions of a few individuals. That isn't right. I admit, there are things about this society I really, really, really f*cking hate, and I see stupid people every day..But I don't hate everyone who lives here in America..If you are going to hate someone, hate individuals who have personally wronged you, not whole groups of people you probably will never even meet.
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 am

Okay I’ll stop being so hatting of an ethnicity for that. Now you make me cry :cry: .

ssouthparkk4602 your really nice,
M00ndragon69, You have expressed hate for a whole group at-least implicitly. :cry: , your even worse,
I’ll try to reframe from being so I guess i can try to care.
Last edited by JohnHorn on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 am

I justify the, not hate, but pity upon a whole group, I must admit....

You all already know what group that is: Social Conservatives.

Everyone else is cool.
-Alan Grayson

-TheAmazingAtheist

JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:02 am

Okay… creating new catagory in head ah soothing.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:18 am

Ok John, can you refresh my memory. Which whole group did I say I hated? Did I say I hated everyone in that group, or just certain individuals who did things I do not like? And did I actually say the words " I Hate.." or did I just say they piss me off? And on which thread did I say it?
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:46 am

If I’m not mistaken, you said so about athiests bassed on a total minority.–– a minority that’s on the really small end in proportion :lol: . I didn't like that, I remember but my memory may have served me wrong.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 am

No, I said the atheists that shove their beliefs down everyone's throats piss me off. Much like the Christians who do the same thing piss me off. I said a few times I have a friend who is an atheist. I don't hate her. I am sure I never said the exact words " I hate atheists". I don't agree with them on a lot of points, I get annoyed when it looks like someone with that point of view is talking down to people who believe things I believe, and I think the ones who are really aggressive about attacking everyone else's beliefs are being counter productive if they intend to try to take away power from certain organized religions. Infact, the other day I was at Borders, and I saw a book written for Christians about how Atheism is some kind of evil Satanic plot to turn people away from their God. I can't remember the title or who wrote it, but, you know, people like that, who accuse everyone who doesn't agree with them of being deceived by or in league with the Devil, love to cry about how oppressed they are and play the victim. Attacking them as hard as certain atheists do is probably doing exactly what they want.

But I am pretty sure I never actually typed the words I hate atheists. If I did, can someone find the thread where I said that? I think that maybe John, you don't like that I am not afraid to say I disagree with you, and you are being overly sensitive. Maybe you should grow a thicker skin, because no matter what, people are not always going to agree with you.
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am

lol I said my memory may have served me wrong…, :lol:,
or more accuratly if you read above if I’m not mistaken which apparently according to you I was.
non the less I have a-lot thicker skin then that·· metaphorically lol. even the non metaphorical version of that metaphor i have thicker skin then that so stop making false statements!—[is amussed].
Ray4SouthPark

Postby Ray4SouthPark » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 am

What a bitchmuthaf.a.c.k.in sensless sh*t.
He has a vision of a nuklear free world ???
For that sh*t he got a noble price, man.
no no no, it´s only for us. They gave him this price and the next six month the Military could do everything without any problems.
I have a vision, too........ No child must be Hungry in the World !
Do i get now a noble price ? NO..........
because i´m no mothafucker how told all over the World " yes, we can!"
I´m really pissed of this f.a.k.e nobel price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ssouthparkk4602

Postby ssouthparkk4602 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:15 am

-Alan Grayson

-TheAmazingAtheist

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”