The Ricky Gervais show? Really?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

tankstar

The Ricky Gervais show? Really?

Postby tankstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:22 am

Ricky Gervais is the last guy on earth i would give his own "show." How he has gotten this far in life, with his awards and his shows and his movies, i have no idea. He is really just... well... not all that funny. AT ALL. He is just some euro jerk with the ability to act like a brainless prick to make people laugh. Laugh directly at him in his face, because he is such a tool. Sure, he makes a good side story, but that is about it. I mean look at this commercial he has been running for his new show. It show his making fun of his friend Karl Pilkington, who honestly seems cooler than either Ricky, or his lanky friend wearing the glasses. Their characatures look far more fat and ridiculous than Karl's. The guy with the glasses looks like a horse mouthed moron, while Ricky remains fat and well, fat. Karl P just seems like the average Joe while Ricky and his donkey faced buddy look like two chimps fighting over an ugly mask. It's so sad really, to think that a man like Ricky sits in that chair when all of you guys reading this would probably be better suited for the job. Honestly, you should all protest and boycott Ricky in an attempt to toss him out of his high chair made of his own feces (AKA his career) and take his place, minus the feces of course. Thanks for listening. Tata :zombiekenny:
MexicanStarringFrog

Re: The Ricky Gervais show? Really?

Postby MexicanStarringFrog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:21 pm

I have to strongly disagree with you. Not only is Ricky Gervais absolutely hilarious, but he is not the idiot you seem to think he is. His humor is mostly about intelligence. I watched the first episode on HBO.com last night, and his friend/producer is indeed an actual idiot. It's something that you can't tell from the commercials, so you might feel inclined to feel bad for him, but once you actually hear him talk and the things that they are making fun of him for, you would see differently. I also recommend that if you haven't yet, see "The Invention of Lying". It's hilarious.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Enh, he's kinda hit and miss with me. Although I've probably only seen about 30% of his stuff.
MexicanStarringFrog

Postby MexicanStarringFrog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Hit and miss seems quite different than what Tankstar is saying though. He is speaking of Gervais as if he is just total sh*t. I don't know, perhaps they themselves are a chubby misfit type and feel as if they are funnier than Ricky Gervais, perhaps they have a round head and make ridiculous comment like Karl Pilkington. Who knows. I just really can't see how someone could honestly say that nothing that Ricky Gervais has said or done hasn't made them laugh.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:06 am

He's not the worst, but I've seen better. I could say it depends on your style of humor, but I've seen any given comedian appeal to all audiences.
MexicanStarringFrog

Postby MexicanStarringFrog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am

Niels0827 wrote:He's not the worst, but I've seen better. I could say it depends on your style of humor, but I've seen any given comedian appeal to all audiences.

First off, not just any comedian can/does appeal to anyone. Second, I challenge you to find a comedian who is actually universally enjoyed by everyone. I'll give you a hint, Dane Cook is not one of them. (That might not make a bad episode actually, one making fun of that douche bag).
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 am

I haven't really seen his show, and I don't know who he is..But I know one thing, I really want HBO, so I can watch True Blood, and hopefully some good movies..I just may add it to my cable tomorrow, and if I do, maybe I will give Ricky Gervais a chance if I run across his show.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:23 pm

MexicanStarringFrog wrote:First off, not just any comedian can/does appeal to anyone. Second, I challenge you to find a comedian who is actually universally enjoyed by everyone. I'll give you a hint, Dane Cook is not one of them. (That might not make a bad episode actually, one making fun of that douche bag).

"All audiences" doesn't necessarily imply "every person". Merely all types of audience demographics. There's lots of comedians out there that have several comedic methods and styles that any particular person would find funny. Kinda like how I can't stand Bernie Mac, but he's made me laugh a few times.
stoner52

Postby stoner52 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:46 am

two things first: yes really!!!!!! second: why do hate Ricky Gervais so much did you get molested by a guy pretending to be Ricky Gervais!
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Even more annoying is that these slow-loading Ricky Gervais ads, along with the Funny or Die ads, ALWAYS repeat and ALWAYS say, "Premieres Midnight, Friday, Feb. 19," even though they only premiered over a week ago! Can't someone please get rid of these stupid overdue ads? :x
Still the same as it ever was.
MexicanStarringFrog

Postby MexicanStarringFrog » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:06 am

Niels0827 wrote:"All audiences" doesn't necessarily imply "every person". Merely all types of audience demographics.

Of course it doesn't mean every person, but I have yet to find a comedian who every demographic would in large majority agree is funny.
There's lots of comedians out there that have several comedic methods and styles that any particular person would find funny. Kinda like how I can't stand Bernie Mac, but he's made me laugh a few times.

[/quote]
There's a difference between someone saying one or two things (or even a few things) that make you laugh vs. you viewing them as a funny individual. Let's take the huge debate that is going on surrounding the Connan and Leno situation, there is a huge demographic divide between their audiences. Yeah there are the Leno fans who will admit that Connan has said something that made them laugh, but that's different than being a comedian who is considered universally funny throughout the demographics. They just don't exist. In order to be funny to one demographic, they have to piss off another in one way shape or form.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:49 pm

MexicanStarringFrog wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:"All audiences" doesn't necessarily imply "every person". Merely all types of audience demographics.

Of course it doesn't mean every person, but I have yet to find a comedian who every demographic would in large majority agree is funny.
There's lots of comedians out there that have several comedic methods and styles that any particular person would find funny. Kinda like how I can't stand Bernie Mac, but he's made me laugh a few times.

There's a difference between someone saying one or two things (or even a few things) that make you laugh vs. you viewing them as a funny individual. Let's take the huge debate that is going on surrounding the Connan and Leno situation, there is a huge demographic divide between their audiences. Yeah there are the Leno fans who will admit that Connan has said something that made them laugh, but that's different than being a comedian who is considered universally funny throughout the demographics. They just don't exist. In order to be funny to one demographic, they have to piss off another in one way shape or form.

I did not say anywhere that an entire demographic can be wowed by any one person or that any one person can wow an entire demographic. An "audience" could mean just one person. What else am I going to call it? All I was implying was that anyone can say anything that can make anyone else laugh. I wasn't the one who called Ricky Gervais "not funny".

Seriously, let it die.
MexicanStarringFrog

Postby MexicanStarringFrog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:51 am

My comment was not Ricky Gervais specific. It was rather an example that no comedian, no matter how many demographics it seems to have surpassed, does not mean that the majority if individuals from all demographics will find it funny. Even if a large majority of varying demographics find a certain joke funny, doesn't mean that they find all jokes funny. That's like saying that John Stewart has made a joke that I find funny, but it does not meant that I agree with what he has to say/vs. versus
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:55 pm

MexicanStarringFrog wrote:My comment was not Ricky Gervais specific. It was rather an example that no comedian, no matter how many demographics it seems to have surpassed, does not mean that the majority if individuals from all demographics will find it funny. Even if a large majority of varying demographics find a certain joke funny, doesn't mean that they find all jokes funny. That's like saying that John Stewart has made a joke that I find funny, but it does not meant that I agree with what he has to say/vs. versus

You are reading entirely too much into what Niels has said. He did not mean to imply that ZOMFG DAR BE COMEDIANS WHO BE APPEALING TO DAH MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN EVERY DEMOGRAPHIC. You are asserting this, and it is false. What he said is that there are comedians who will appeal to people of varying tastes. Stop fighting a battle that isn't being fought.

AS for Ricky himself, he created the British version of The Office. That is cool enough for me.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”