Abuse victims still angry despite pope's apology

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

Abuse victims still angry despite pope's apology

Postby angeldeb82 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 am

I mean, wasn't this apology letter to Ireland enough?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35960566/ns ... ws-europe/
Still the same as it ever was.
Niels0827

Re: Abuse victims still angry despite pope's apology

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 am

Well, the Pope appointed this guy, didn't he? If I'm mistaken, correct me. When you hold as much respect as the Pope (even though, in my opinion, he shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else), you should be a little bit more cautious. If I'm correct, he had prior knowledge of this priest's history.

Fact is, an apology doesn't always cut it. Anyone can say "I'm sorry" and sound like they mean it. This is just one of a billion examples of how organized religion contradicts itself. A priest and the Pope sinning? Good heavens, no!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:03 am

I would still be really angry too. Sexual abuse is something that f*cks up someone's whole life. It f*cks up their self esteem, and their ability to trust people, and form relationships with other people. Just saying " I am sorry" doesn't fix that. This is one of those times when an apology isn't enough.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:46 am

angeldeb82 wrote:I mean, wasn't this apology letter to Ireland enough?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35960566/ns ... ws-europe/

Nothing will ever be enough. The damage caused to the victims cannot be undone, no matter how noble the intention.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 pm

The Pope should just go ahead and issue a preemptive apology for the next molestation scandal that's bound to break in the Catholic church. Who's next? How 'bout Brazil? The Philippines? Cuba? Where else are there lots of Catholics?

The one constant through all this, how can I put this delicately, child fucking has been the church repeatedly covering its ass instead of dealing with a major problem. They keep getting caught in their cover-ups and exasperating an already terrible situation.

The root problem is the religion itself. The church was trying to preserve a facade of "truth" or "infallibility" or whatever you want to call it. If bad things like rampant child abuse can happen in the church, what does that say about the church or God for that matter? So to avoid this embarrassment, they covered up these individual abuses until, over the course of a generation or two, they accumulated thousands of cases. Then it all comes out and the damage to their institution is orders of magnitude worse.

I wouldn't suggest that someone dump their religion solely because of the near-institutionalized child abuse, but if you're on the bubble, that's gotta be the final straw.
But don't worry, Catholics, there may still be hope. Hell, the Mormons survived all the polygamous child marriage and explicit racism of it's founders. So buck up!

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:21 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:The root problem is the religion itself. The church was trying to preserve a facade of "truth" or "infallibility" or whatever you want to call it.

I think the word you're looking for is "holiness." "Truth" or "infallibility" deals with what the Church teaches its members. I don't think it teaches them how to be child molesters. One can argue that the celibacy requirement for priests is at fault, but that seems to be only the past century - before then celibacy didn't seem to be a concern.

triplemultiplex wrote:But don't worry, Catholics, there may still be hope. Hell, the Mormons survived all the polygamous child marriage and explicit racism of it's founders. So buck up!

Yes, this too shall pass.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 pm

He apologized? Gee, that makes up for everything! After all, abuse can always be rectified by an apology!
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
seamus yarr

Postby seamus yarr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 am

It is disgraceful that this would happen but what more can he do but apologise?

Something should be done to prevent creeps like this from becoming priests
AxayPaulene

Postby AxayPaulene » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38 am

Words cannot heal the harm that has been done to many.

That's just how humans work.
R.I.P Pip: 1989 - 2010
Πιστεύω σε σας

Pull your fucking pants up!
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 am

AxayPaulene wrote:Words cannot heal the harm that has been done to many.

That's just how humans work.

This.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 am

You know what should be done? All the Catholics who are seriously upset about priest molesting children need to start speaking up. Start demanding that if a priest is caught molesting kids, he needs to be fired as a priest and punished to the full extent of the law. Sent to prison for as long as possible and such. I am not Catholic, I don't really know much about church politics, but if maybe if enough people spoke up and the church was afraid they would loose authority if things didn't change, the perverts would start getting what they deserve.
AxayPaulene

Postby AxayPaulene » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:You know what should be done? All the who are seriously upset about priest molesting children need to start speaking up. Start demanding that if a priest is caught molesting kids, he needs to be fired as a priest and punished to the full extent of the law. Sent to prison for as long as possible and such. I am not Catholic, I don't really know much about church politics, but if maybe if enough people spoke up and the church was afraid they would loose authority if things didn't change, the perverts would start getting what they deserve.

I'm not sure if this applies to what you said, but if someone were to confess a murder during confession, the priest wouldn't be able to report them to the authorities. Maybe it works the other way around?
Πιστεύω σε σας

Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 am

AxayPaulene wrote:I'm not sure if this applies to what you said, but if someone were to confess a murder during confession, the priest wouldn't be able to report them to the authorities.

If you mean "wouldn't be able" as in he's not legally required, I sincerely hope that's not true. That is sickening.
AxayPaulene

Postby AxayPaulene » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 am

Niels0827 wrote:
AxayPaulene wrote:I'm not sure if this applies to what you said, but if someone were to confess a murder during confession, the priest wouldn't be able to report them to the authorities.

If you mean "wouldn't be able" as in he's not legally required, I sincerely hope that's not true. That is sickening.

Er... yeah, I think so. "Wouldn't be allowed to" would be a better choice of words, actually.
Πιστεύω σε σας

M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:26 am

I am not talking about things people say in confession, which I know the rules about, I know a priest isn't allowed to turn in someone who confesses to a crime. What I am talking about is if a priest is caught molesting kids and people in the church know about it, but, he is just sent to another church instead of getting punished, well why don't Catholics have some kind of big protest every time that happens to send the Vatican a message? If Catholics were protesting Kevin Smith's Dogma ten years ago, because they felt the movie was offensive to their beliefs, then why don't they go protest priests getting slapped on the wrist for molesting kids? Why not protest something that really is a serious issue, and something that could threaten their religion?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”