Lay off Seth McFarlane

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mrs._Eff

Re: Lay off Seth McFarlane

Postby Mrs._Eff » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I love both. However, I do find Family Guy over-rated, American Dad is better as far Seth McFarlane goes.
the1jbk

Postby the1jbk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Kensuke wrote:All I know is that both shows were funnier in their older episodes.

That can be said about most anything thats had a good run.

I like how The Simpsons deal with this. They take it as all in fun for comedy and Groening makes friends with both the "enemies".
I want South Park and Family Guy to be friends. And I'd like for Matt & Trey to realize that its a f*cking cartoon that does not need to follow these basic story structures/character development whatever.
M&T take what they do too seriously themselves at times. :gaykenny:
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

As much as I enjoyed the South Park episodes, it's kind of annoying how people like the guy who started this thread come in here and just assume everyone who doesn't like Family Guy doesn't like it because of Cartoon Wars. The crew of The Simpsons and King of the Hill didn't like it either, but the fact that they disliked it enough to participate in the show should show that they disliked it before Matt and Trey did their ep. "You're doing God's work." The things that they do that I consider to be bad have been plainly obvious long before Cartoon Wars and it didn't take Matt and Trey to point it out.
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am

I don't like Family Guy and I am a South Park fan. There is no relation.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
hedden93

Postby hedden93 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 am

I thought he came off as kinda a prick on discussing the muhammed situation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diW3OwMYdrk
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:08 pm

This is just my anecdote, but if there were lots of non-fans of FG around here they didn't have anything to say about it in any of the pre-Cartoon Wars threads about FG. No one really expressed their dislike of Family Guy or MacFarlane prior that. This was probably because they just didn't participate in any of those threads and when the subject came up in the series, they felt it finally necessary to express their opinion.

I think the episodes made it topical for them to weigh in on a subject that was previously only discussed by users who liked FG and talked amongst themselves about it. It's the same way I don't post in a thread about something that's not of interest to me. But if it comes up in the show, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 pm

the1jbk wrote :
> [quote="Kensuke"]All I know is that both shows were funnier in
> their older episodes.[/quote]
>
> That can be said about most anything thats had a good run.
>
>
> I like how The Simpsons deal with this. They take it as all in fun for
> comedy and Groening makes friends with both the "enemies".
> I want South Park and Family Guy to be friends. And I'd like for Matt &
> Trey to realize that its a f*cking cartoon that does not need to follow
> these basic story structures/character development whatever.
> M&T take what they do too seriously themselves at times. :gaykenny:
Actually, if it didn't, I would stop watching it. Stupid humor all over the place does not a good show make.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
King Of Canada

Postby King Of Canada » Mon May 03, 2010 1:34 am

Family guy has done n episode without cutscenes now. Take that Wii Fit you M.U.S.O.B
Generation 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Mon May 03, 2010 1:58 am

King Of Canada wrote :
> Family guy has done n episode without cutscenes now. Take that Wii Fit you
> M.U.S.O.B
An ENTIRE episode out of 7 seasons? WOW! That's so impressive.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 am

I watched Family Guy tonight, and instead of laughing like I did when Stewie killed Louis, This episode could be taken...differently

A dog eats sh*t. A kid drinks beer, then gets his ear pierced, and then the dog *who talks* talks about killing himself with a gun because he is out of beer.

That was a good episode :timmy: . I wonder where our teens get it these days. If the suicide rate goes up tonight because brian said it was cool...don't blame me!! :roll:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
LongNameThusLongCock

Postby LongNameThusLongCock » Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 am

Let me just first mention that I dislike Family Guy, Sure it has some funny parts here and there.

- Meg, You're a smart fella dad!
- Peter, And you're a fart smella Meg! *Farts in megs face*

I will admit that i LMFAO'd @ that.

But one thing has ruined my perception on Family Guy, And that is as follows.

The other week I convinced myself to sit on my bed and watch a lil' bit of FG. A few minutes in with it's usual plot skips (What I like to call when they go from one thing to another really quick, pretty much skipping parts of the story which would lead a viewer like me clueless in the cartoon), Yes anyways, A few minutes in, Peter says he needs a distraction. Then, For f*cks sake, This video of some guy singing back in the 70's or 80's comes on. I waited a minute for this thing to go away. I thought to myself surely if I go get a drink and return it shall be gone. But nope. Still there.

This went on for very long. And it just isn't in this episode, it's in others when they use sh*t like this to take up time they shouldn't be allowed to have if they're going to waste it on pure utter crap :shock:
Don't drink water, Fish have sex in it.

As god said to Moses: "Not my f*ckin' problem champ" :D
axisofevil

Postby axisofevil » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am

triplemultiplex wrote :
> This is just my anecdote, but if there were lots of non-fans of FG around
> here they didn't have anything to say about it in any of the pre-Cartoon
> Wars threads about FG. No one really expressed their dislike of Family Guy
> or MacFarlane prior that. This was probably because they just didn't
> participate in any of those threads and when the subject came up in the
> series, they felt it finally necessary to express their opinion.
>
> I think the episodes made it topical for them to weigh in on a subject that
> was previously only discussed by users who liked FG and talked amongst
> themselves about it. It's the same way I don't post in a thread about
> something that's not of interest to me. But if it comes up in the show,
> I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Triplemultiplex - "you and me are the same maaan" (recognize that quote from Falling Down? scare you?)

But seriously, I'm starting to waste a lot of my retraining supposedly working interweb time here in the SPS forums, and your posts make sense every time on the button!

FG & SP are apples and oranges! This was obvious before cartoon wars. Nuff said!
axisofevil

Postby axisofevil » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 am

And (I forgot to add) that was the whole point of Cartman's Cartoon Wars rant: "I am NOTHING LIKE FAMILY GUY"!!!!!

(which is OK in it's own way, but doesn't have the depth, subtlety or character development of SP or Simpsons).
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Tue May 04, 2010 1:48 pm

There was already a post about this, but it seems like King of Canada is able to discuss instead of whine and insult like the other poster, so I'll play along.

Family Guy used to be funny. Stewie was trying to kill Lois, Stewie was the only smart one in the family, Lois was the voice of reason, Chris was a simple but lovable twerp, Meg was the awkward teenager and the family pariah, Brian was sophisticated and the only person who understood Stewie, and Peter was Homer Simpson but not as lovable. I don't know when it got worse, but I have watched the recent episodes and been really dissapointed. There is absolutely NO character definition now, anyone can do anything. It's hard to respect or even like the writing or the final product when something Lois does could have been done by Peter, or Chris, or Brian, or Quagmire, or possibly even Stewie. Stewie also has no consistency as well, except for the weird ass closeted homo-sexual references that they throw in for god knows why.

Getting past the characters though, the show's writing as others have posted is not difficult, and most of the time not funny. Why is referencing a random celebrity or movie with no real joke supposed to be funny? Sometimes I will be interested in what the cut-away brings, but because of no set-up/all punchline it falls flat. Also it gets up it's own ass with it's preachy ass message, there's no subtle hint or clever word play, they tell you blankly WHAT IS RIGHT (meaning their point of view).

I will say that I never noticed how often they cut away from the story and used any interchangable joke so much until the Cartoon Wars episodes, but I still like FG at that point and it wasn't until a little later that I stopped liking it all together. The FCC song in particular is an example of funny FG; partly because of a full point being made and clever writing used. But jokes like on the last episode I watched where in a cut scene referencing animals killing other animals, a cat walking into his bathroom finding the message "welcome to the world of feline aids" on his bathroom from his recent sexual partner was pointless, and incredibly f*cked up. That cinched it for me that while that episode was already not funny, they had to try and throw something so controversial and disgusting to; I don't know, "be Family Guy"?

Bottomline is I think the majority of South Park watchers don't like Family Guy not because of the South Park episode, but because for all the reasons South Park is good, Family Guy is not. It's intelligent, topical, NEVER tells you HOW to feel, not scared to bring up a topic that's taboo but handles it expertly, and is able to use satire perfectly to surprise you with something you didn't expect. But with South Park there is almost always a build up to the joke, which creates interest and involvement. With Family Guy you have no involvement, you're just watching stupid sh*t happen to stupid people. I can think of much better things to do with 22 minutes then watch a show that will entertain me for probably 3 of them, sorry.

I do however still watch American Dad and The Cleveland Show.. notice how there's a lot less cut away scenes in those shows and they're more story driven. This allows jokes to be funny since they're set up storylines and made me commit to a characters motivations. A recent episode where francine was trying to get Stan's sperm out of the secret base and blasts open the whole tank spilling white goo all over the floor into a wave, then seeing they're in the milk factory and saying "Oh that's a lot less gross" was pretty funny, surprised me and turned the gross overdone joke into a clever switcharoo. Also American Dad has 3 creators and Cleveland show has 2.. is Seth Mcfarlane alone on FG? If so, he is the weakest link.
american_monkey

Postby american_monkey » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I used to watch all of the adult cartoons I ran across, Family Guy included. The first couplee of seasons were pretty good, or at least fresh. I loved Stewie and I loved Brian. I also loved my high school girlfriend, but after a while anything that shallow starts to fade. By the time I finally saw Cartoon Wars I had already pretty much stopped watching FG, though it was still good for a chuckle from time to time.

Then I watched Cartoon Wars. OMG! I say this as a former online columnist (I hate the word blogger since it implies no journalistic integrity), I don't even come close to having the words to describe how brilliant those 2 episodes are.

Then I watched it again.

and again.

By the time I was done dissecting it, much the way you would your favorite song, I finally got around to watching an episode of FG and do you know what? M & T ruined it for me.

I was already disenchanted with the newer stuff, but it really did start coming off as an over-sized game of madlibs to me. I just didn't find it that funny anymore.

Since then I still throw it on every once in a while, but I can never make it through an entire show unless I'm doing something else and the tv is just background noise.

Does that make me a fanboi? A M&T drone? Frankly I don't think so, but I also don't really care one way or another. I'm going to watch what I enjoy, and when I stop enjoying something I'm going to stop watching it. Case in point, I was so turned off by the King of the Hill series finale that I still haven't gone back to the earlier stuff that I did like (a lot, I might add).

If you enjoy FG, more power to you, but I'm not going to feel bad because SP turned me off to it. Then again, its just a couple of cartoons we're discussing. It would be a different story if I started becoming a Taliban sympathizer because I agreed with their point that the western world has become too corrupt. Some things in life require serious contemplation and due diligence. Entertainment choices don't qualify.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”