Lay off Seth McFarlane

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

adam_slayer

Re: Lay off Seth McFarlane

Postby adam_slayer » Fri May 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Longtimefan wrote :

> so you're saying that old school writing like naked gun and airplane is,
> bad? Hmmm.. I'll go ahead and VEHEMENTLY disagree with you on that one.

In no way was i saying Naked gun and Hotshots were lame.

I used to love those movies, and even watched airplane when it was on sky recently because the missus hadn't seen it yet. Those and the mel brookes movies like robin hood and space balls are classics!

All i'm saying is that Macfarlane's writing is similar, how it directly spoofs things by recreating a scene almost identically but with a joke added (especially the star wars specials) I do watch his shows, i just find too many of them tiring nowadays and it feels like they are trying too hard, especially after the criticism levelled their way in recent times.

I'd stick my neck out and say that the simpsons are also guilty of this just lately - trying to appeal to fans of the other 'adult' cartoons at the expense of sticking to what made them popular to start with.
dixler

Postby dixler » Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 am

Seth McFarlane is a douchebag. Family Guy sucks. The first season or two were decent, but it was straight down hill when it came back to the airwaves.

I'd like to see Seth McFarlane in South Park getting it on with Mr. Garrison like Richard Dawkins did. :lol:
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am

Pip Tweek wrote :

> Conway Twitty - that scene lasted three whole minutes IIRC. That had to be the lowest
> point ever for FG. I wonder if anyone anywhere found it funny.

It didn't need to be funny, it was Conway Twitty.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Thu May 13, 2010 9:19 am

triplemultiplex wrote :
> The biggest appeal to the original run of Family Guy was there was nothing
> else that zany on broadcast TV. The show exposed a broader audience to an
> Adult Swim type of comedy, if you will, with quick hitting jokes and
> delightfully obscure references. Also, it was buried in the same time slot
> as two of the most popular shows of the day for it's third season. And in
> the days before DVR and widespread internet downloads, Family Guy flew
> under the radar of most television viewers. So to be a fan of Family Guy
> "back in the day", meant you were part of an elite group that
> "got it" while the rest of the rubes were watching Joey and
> Chandler trade lame-one liners or Richard Hatch's fat naked ass.

Ahh, the good old days.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
AugustWearsRed

Postby AugustWearsRed » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 am

I like both, but I like South Park more. The only thing I don't like about Seth McFarlane is that he's a super liberal. I like South Park politically because as far as I know, Matt and Trey are members of conservative parties. But at the end of the day, they're both funny.
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Fri May 28, 2010 12:46 am

That was the reason why Seth redeemed himself, at least to me. I identify as a liberal/libertarian and found American Dad to be absolutely hilarious for its portrayal of both political parties. I don't care much for Family Guy at all, especially after it was resurrected when it was obvious that the writers were running out of ideas. That Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story movie was probably the last good thing that came from the FG writers, but even then I didn't much care for those movie-theatre segments. These days, FG is absolutely painful to watch.

I think the reason why Seth gets such a bad rep these days is because his ideas start out fresh for the first couple of seasons, but in the case of FG, he doesn't know when it's dead and needs a burial.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
IslandAdventure

Postby IslandAdventure » Fri May 28, 2010 10:49 am

I don't mind admitting that I loved Family Guy when it first came to the UK back in 99. It started around the time that The Simpsons was losing its touch, and it picked up their slack admirably. It felt fresh and exciting. It aired straight after Futurama, which received far more hype and frankly the first series of FG seemed much stronger than the first series of Futurama, so it felt like a bit of a sleeper. And my affection for Family Guy remained until the second time (or whatever time it was, the one before thier long hiatus) they were cancelled. But when they came back, the show had already been exhausted, and they resorted to far-too much fan pandering regurgitation and repition. The thing about The Simpsons, South Park and Futurama is they have developed almost a whole world over their lifetimes, so even a weak episode can have a certain amount of charm or appeal. Family Guy hasn't, it's essentially a bag of tricks, so when an episode fails, it just flat out fails. Stewie and especially Brian are the show's only truly decent characters, Peter is OK but a pretty generic archtype, other characters are either bland, gimmicky or unpleasant (Chris and Meg are generally very unappealing, which is a big problem given their screentime)

This is where I think American Dad has been an improvement, even though at its peak Family Guy probably had bigger laughs; the characters are (generally) more interesting, and the plots are a lot stronger. And the writing in general is much stronger. While I no longer really care about FG, I can't wait for the next DVD release of American Dad in the UK in a couple of weeks.

The Cleveland Show seems like a big misstep, and that Cavalcade thing is insulting, but ultimately there are entertainers I've got far less out of than McFarlane. Though that does also make the laziness of some of his work even more frustrating.
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Fri May 28, 2010 9:33 pm

I don't really have strong feelings about Family Guy one way or the other. McFarlane's humor isn't my cup of tea, but there are much worse shows on TV. Keep in mind that television is the medium that brought the world My Mother the Car and Full House, and Family Guy looks relatively good.

On a more maudlin note, it does say something about Western civilization when Peter Griffin can be considered a sacred cow.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Blue Twilight wrote:Blue Harvest was probably the last good thing that came from the FG writers

Fixed.

I caught it running on BBC3 last year and actually liked it. Some bad jokes ["Darth Doodie", Herbert's song] but it was generally fun to watch.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 pm

You know who was missing from the FG staff when they came back from the second cancellation?

These two guys Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan. The were writers and show runners during the original three seasons. By the time FG came back, they were executive producers of their own very successful show; Scrubs. (Their new show Community is pretty good, too.) That's why Scrubs used cutaway gags like FG. Their FG alumni status is probably the source of several good natured jabs from FG towards Scrubs the first few season back from cancellation.

Anyway, I pin whatever failings the show has compared to its original run on the absence of these two dudes.

You read it! You can't unread it!
dixler

Seth McFarlane Is A DOUCHEBAG

Postby dixler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 am

Seth McFarlane sucks ass. American Dad is pure crap. The Cleveland Show is even worse. Somebody wrote an article about how Family Guy and those two shows are all pretty similar. One has a talking dog, the other a talking fish, and the other a talking bear. Real original stuff...

Seth McFarlane is a liberal douchebag. And in typical liberal fashion, he's a massive hypocrite and fraud. How he got a $100 million deal out of Fox for his crappy shows is one of the biggest mysteries of life. His shows don't exactly do too well in the ratings. But he's got himself a huge $13.5 million energy hog mansion out in Beverly Hills, California. How's that for a carbon footprint?

I do not know if this link has been posted already. If it has, you can watch it again. It's a video showing instances where Family Guy copied the Simpsons. This video used to be on Youtube a few years ago, but I can no longer find it there. There was a second video with more examples. That douchebag Seth McFartlane probably had it removed.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/349698/

These aren't examples of similar plots or borrowing general ideas. This is outright stealing.

McFartlane doesn't have an original thought in his tiny little brain.
SeoulMan

Postby SeoulMan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 pm

To me, it just feels like FOX has everything riding on McFarlane's creativity to maintain any reputation for long-running animated sitcoms.

It's like he's getting a monopoly of airtime on FOX as the network's solution for the precarious situation The Simpsons has for running as long as it has, and close to empty, and what with King of the Hill having finished, it's like viewers won't have much for options of Non-McFarlane animated programs.
Wii fit man

Re: Seth McFarlane Is A DOUCHEBAG

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:10 pm

dixler wrote:Seth McFarlane is a liberal douchebag. And in typical liberal fashion, he's a massive hypocrite and fraud. How he got a $100 million deal out of Fox for his crappy shows is one of the biggest mysteries of life. His shows don't exactly do too well in the ratings. But he's got himself a huge $13.5 million energy hog mansion out in Beverly Hills, California. How's that for a carbon footprint?

In typical idiot fashion, you attack liberals for no reason whatsoever, in a way that hardly relates to the topic, if at all. Real damn mature. I'm not even a Seth fan, but wow.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Wii fit man wrote:
dixler wrote:Seth McFarlane is a liberal douchebag. And in typical liberal fashion, he's a massive hypocrite and fraud. How he got a $100 million deal out of Fox for his crappy shows is one of the biggest mysteries of life. His shows don't exactly do too well in the ratings. But he's got himself a huge $13.5 million energy hog mansion out in Beverly Hills, California. How's that for a carbon footprint?

In typical idiot fashion, you attack liberals for no reason whatsoever, in a way that hardly relates to the topic, if at all. Real damn mature. I'm not even a Seth fan, but wow.

No offense, but didn't your quote used to be a rather bleak curse upon Tea Partiers? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Churlesque wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:

No offense, but didn't your quote used to be a rather bleak curse upon Tea Partiers? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Not sure what you mean....but if you're asking why I was so rude, it's because I'm stressed, plus my normal bitchiness.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”