What Do You Think is Funny?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Pip Tweek

What Do You Think is Funny?

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 am

I think it's time we all laid it down on the table and really talked about humor. What does it mean for you? What do you like? What do you not like? Give examples of certain sktis, shows, jokes, pictures, whatever that you think is funny.

I've felt for years that the best prime-time animated sitcoms (SP, the Simpsons, Family Guy, KOTH, Futurama, and American Dad) were, regardless of their lowest points in terms of lacking good material, the greatest source of comedy on television.

The late night shows don't match it. Non-animated sitcoms are almost entirely horrible as anything driven with a laugh track is almost always not funny. Some sitcoms of decades past were good, but they're few and far between today.

On the subject of "viral video," I'm sure you've seen "The Annoying Orange" on Youtube. I actually watched one of the films and thought it was pretty funny - but the humor only lasted that one episode. It seems that's the way a lot of humor is now; no depth, just slapstick and catchphrases.

Please weigh in on whatever you feel like. This is a topic we could really expand on.
Your Moms Fav Person

Re: What Do You Think is Funny?

Postby Your Moms Fav Person » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 am

Cartoon Skits I like:
South Park
Family Guy
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Robot Chicken
Futurama
American Dad
I was evilcupcake72 or evilcuntcake72, depends on if you liked me or not

Can you tell me what's similar between a raven and a writing desk?
Niels wrote:Something

deviantART: http://evilcupcake72.deviantart.com/
formspring: http://www.formspring.me/AtomicPlatypus
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:37 am

I love satire. Good satire, of course.
I hate cutaway jokes. Stick to a plot, please.
I hate shock humor, because being shocked isn't the same as laughing. Of course, it never shocks me, either...
Basically, I'm a fuddy-duddy when it comes to humor. I can laugh at non-satire, but it has to be funny. Not just shocking and not just a bunch of cutaway jokes.
As for examples, I'm too lazy and you know what I like.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:04 am

Oh yes, I've seen two episodes of The Annoying Orange. It feels like an advertisement for itself.

The only TV shows I've ever really enjoyed were all comedic. My favorite television show was Mystery Science Theater 3000. When MST3K was canceled, it was like my parents getting divorced all over again. I felt betrayed and alone.

The only relatively recent shows that I enjoy are King of the Hill for its subtlety, South Park for not patronizing me, and Red Eye w/Greg Gutfield for providing a forum for Andy Levy and Jim Norton.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 am

Beside SP my fav funny shows are The Simpsons- classic that has been on the TV for as long as I can remember, Friends, and Futurama. :mrgreen:
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Stanluv25 wrote :
> Beside SP my fav funny shows are The Simpsons- classic that has been on the
> TV for as long as I can remember, Friends, and Futurama. :mrgreen:

I find this interesting as I've never found Friends to be even marginally funny. I've seen a few episodes and all the while the laugh tracks were running I could only ever detect an attempt at being funny.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:37 pm

The lack of a studio audience and/or laugh track makes a sitcom immeasurably better. I'll decide what's funny, thank you very much. This is probably why I was drawn to shows like Scrubs or The Office or How I Met Your Mother.

A big requirement for animated shows for me is for the show to take advantage of the format and do stuff that's either too expensive or physically impossible in live action. This was my biggest criticism of King of the Hill. 90% of the episodes could've been filmed live action without too much trouble. They never really directed that show in a way that exploited the freedom of animation.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. A Simpsons episode opens with an ordinary breakfast scene, but instead of the shot we're used to in the kitchen, we get a perspective from inside Homer's mouth as he's eating. You can only do that in animation.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:22 pm

triplemultiplex wrote :

> A big requirement for animated shows for me is for the show to take advantage of the format and do stuff that's either too expensive or physically impossible in live action. This was my biggest criticism of King of the Hill.

That's a very good point. The medium lends itself to more abstract humor, such as in Futurama's "Anthology of Interest," where they are fighting in video games as another example.

King of the Hill is probably the only animated sitcom that could have gotten away with not taking advantage of the possibilities of animation. The very fact that it was so stylistically restrained might have actually added to the drawl factor, IMO. If the show was about anything other than the contemporary lives of suburban rednecks, I don't think it could have gotten away with it. So I forgive KOTH for that.
Hayley B

Postby Hayley B » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 pm

For cartoons:

South Park
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Robot Chicken

As for sitcoms: The only ones I love still to this day are...

Married with Children
All in the Family
The Munsters

All these still make me laugh.

Speaking about All in the Family. *just randomly thinking* If they got Rob Reiner, Sally Struthers, & Cartman together, they could have a little bit of an old All in the Family spoof. Only problem is, that they would need Edith.
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
Pennington

Postby Pennington » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

I think that good comedy follows a similar principle to good horror. For example, the less you know about the killer in a horror film, the scarier the killer is, right? I think it's the same for jokes; the less laid-out a joke is for the audience, the funnier it is.

Now, that's not to say that the more RANDOM a joke is, the funnier. (Family Guy makes this assumption, and I think it's one of the lamest comedies around.) It's more like walking into a situation at the worst possible moment - something must've led up to that moment, and the possibilities/implications are what makes it funny.

This also isn't to say that straight-ahead "set-up and punchline" jokes can't be funny. At the end of the day, I think just about anything can be funny if timed and executed correctly.
Biscuits

Postby Biscuits » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 pm

There was a TV show called "The Kids in the Hall" that used to come on Comedy Central, I loved that. I think it was an 80's show but they stopped re-playing it. I also like Reno 911 and Kenny vs Spenny.

I don't watch TV enough to know what else I find funny, lol. I know what I don't find funny though, Family Guy and Jeff Dunham.

And no offense, but "The Annoying Orange" has to be the lamest thing I've ever seen.
Pennington

Postby Pennington » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:09 pm

I honestly think comedy is hurting badly in entertainment these days. South Park is the SOLE show on television that I find to be consistently funny, and I can't recall a comedy movie since Borat that made me honest-to-god laugh.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 am

Older episodes of The Simpsons, mostly, but some newer ones are pretty good.

King of the Hill can be funny too, but not nearly as often.

Family Guy turned stale after the first couple seasons. I usually don't watch it unless there's anything else on.

Reno 911 was good, but I haven't seen it in like 4 years.

Other than those, I don't really watch comedy. But then, I don't really watch television anymore.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 am

As for sitcoms, I like the Big Bang Theory, even if it has a laugh track. Sue me.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Sun May 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Biscuits wrote :
> There was a TV show called "The Kids in the Hall" that used to
> come on Comedy Central, I loved that. I think it was an 80's show but they
> stopped re-playing it. I also like Reno 911 and Kenny vs Spenny.
>
> I don't watch TV enough to know what else I find funny, lol. I know what I
> don't find funny though, Family Guy and Jeff Dunham.
>
> And no offense, but "The Annoying Orange" has to be the lamest
> thing I've ever seen.

Kids in the Hall was hilarious. It reminded me a lot of Monty Python's Flying Circus, only Canadian-er.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”