Ask a Muslim (no wisecracks please)

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

qharvard

Ask a Muslim (no wisecracks please)

Postby qharvard » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:29 am

Hey Everyone,

I am an American Muslim and want to chit chat with anyone that has any questions for a muslim.

Thanks,
EgonSpangler

Re: Ask a Muslim

Postby EgonSpangler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 am

What offends you more: a cartoon featuring Muhammad or a violation of the First Amendment? That's pretty much what it boils down to.
beersaround

Re: Ask a Muslim (no wisecracks please)

Postby beersaround » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:23 am

I am an American Catholic. South Park has taken more shots at my religion than the muslim faith, yet i am still a fan. I can take a joke. just because some priests can be a little molesty, doesnt mean my religion is any less valid. to see an image of your prophet should be no different. weather or not you see an image of his face, his teachings are no less important. dogmatic rhetoric is so 12th century. i pray that one day rv1 will find a mutual understanding.

Free Speech...
and Hat
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:28 am

Ok, I am sure you heard about the controversy with last week's episode. What is your opinion of what was shown on the episode, and comedy central's decision to censor it?

And are you a guy or a girl? If you are a girl, do you cover your hair when you leave the house? And, well whether you are a guy or girl, what is your honest opinion of this rule and why?
Craig15

Postby Craig15 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 am

Can you really justify killing someone for drawing a cartoon? Really? I mean seriously, really?
Easts

Postby Easts » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 am

Why has your religion declared war on all other religions,atheism & agnostics?

And why is it the only one doing so?

Why does your religion & it's leaders insist on being treated differently from everyone else?

Why does your religion (in certain countries) indoctrinate it's youth into outright hatred of western countries & cultures,thus breeding terrorism?
If i filled my pool with dry ice,does that mean i could swim without getting wet?
Susurring

Postby Susurring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 am

Hey there

I think this was a nice idea talking to others, exchanging oppinions, but as you can see it does not work in real life.
If a group of extremists deciedes to threaten someone for something with terror, this does not mean that the relligion declared war. How can you even come to this conclussion?
Islam is - as most pther religions - a religion of peace (I myself am agnostic). The people however believing in a faith are free to do whatever they want and sadly this results in a lot of violence. Every religion has this problems. The Group of terrorists threatening Matt and Trey are uneducated violent people like many others. The thing I do not get is that CC gave in to them. This is the real horror.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 am

Susurring wrote :
> Hey there
> The thing I do not get is that CC gave in to them. This is the real horror.

Terrorists' terms should never be given in to. Ever!

qharvard wrote :
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I am an American Muslim and want to chit chat with anyone that has any
> questions for a muslim.
>
> Thanks,

As an American Muslim, how do you feel being an American where free speech is in the American Constitution that we all live by as Americans, yet your religion doesn't allow even a picture of Muhammad to be shown or even drawn? How do you reconcile this? Or did you just create this thread just for people to talk with no intention of coming back here to discuss the topic of the very thread you created?
Susurring

Postby Susurring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

I would like to say something about that. The Christian religion commends something similar.
"4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

I think in the past there has been a lot of violence regarding religious topics. This rule is no exception. Today most christians are upset but they do not react with violence to n immage of god (I loved the dinosaur in SP ^^). Most moslems aren't violent either. But the few extremists get all the attention. The Media create an enemy for us to hate and it is not these unfaithful extremists, but teh whole religion.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:49 am

Susurring wrote :
> I would like to say something about that. The Christian religion commends
> something similar.
> "4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of
> anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that
> is in the water under the earth."
>
> I think in the past there has been a lot of violence regarding religious
> topics. This rule is no exception. Today most christians are upset but they
> do not react with violence to n immage of god (I loved the dinosaur in SP
> ^^). Most moslems aren't violent either. But the few extremists get all the
> attention. The Media create an enemy for us to hate and it is not these
> unfaithful extremists, but teh whole religion.

All three monotheistic faiths that started in the middle east have similar rules/laws: Muslims, Christians, and Jews. But in all cases, no matter what the religion or not even having a religion, it is the extremists that are the danger - not the religion. In this I agree with you, Susurring.
Susurring

Postby Susurring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 am

We can totally agree on that!

Furthermore I would say, that some of the people reacting to extremists are dangerous as well, for they generalize and sometimes tend to fight fire with fire.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am

Susurring wrote :
> We can totally agree on that!
>
> Furthermore I would say, that some of the people reacting to extremists are
> dangerous as well, for they generalize and sometimes tend to fight fire
> with fire.

Yes, they too (the people reacting to the extremists) are also dangerous. They don't think-they act first but then it's too late. The problem is the extremists. The ones who react should think about what they plan to do first, and examine the consequences of their response. The extremists already did their act. But there is no big hurry for the reactors to react. (I hope this sentence makes sense).
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Susurring wrote :
> I would like to say something about that. The Christian religion commends
> something similar.
> "4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of
> anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that
> is in the water under the earth."

Actually, Exodus 20:4 is a second part of the First Commandment; the first part is "I, the Lord, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. You shall not have other gods besides me" (Ex. 20:2-3, NAB).
Still the same as it ever was.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

qharvard wrote :
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I am an American Muslim and want to chit chat with anyone that has any
> questions for a muslim.
>
> Thanks,
OK, why did you ask for no wisecracks? I want to make a wisecrack. You suck.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm sorry, but without religion there is no extremism. Religion is the only thing that can drive people to do the kind of insane sh*t we see on the news. Name me one atheist suicide bomber. You can't. If you can't claim your enemies are also enemies of your god, then it's really hard to motivate people to kill innocent civilians or blow themselves up on a bus.

We can't just make excuses for the religious extremists and keep saying, "oh they're not true (insert religion)-ers." As long as there is the false hope of religion, there will absolutely be a bunch of assh*les who take it too far. And that's why humans must move past these silly stone age superstitions if we hope to take our species to the next level of civilization.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”