triplemultiplex wrote :
> No I am not claiming religion is the only source of extremist fucktardery
> in the history of humanity.
>
> I'm saying that in modern times, religion provides the single most
> widespread incentive to do something as extreme as suicide bombing. I'm
> sure there's a handful of exceptions but by and large, most of this sh*t is
> fueled by religion.

idk man I think greed and vanity are my nemesis. Vanity is what causes one religious person to think they are better than someone else, allowing them to take that view further and further until you can kill someone because you think you are soo much better than them.

And greed is just ridiculous. The pursuit of money and power have led more men/women astray then any religion. And this same pursuit has soiled some very nice philosophies on how to live our lives.
qharvard

Re: Ask a Muslim (no wisecracks please)

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:30 am

deathsquad22 wrote :
> ShaneHaughey wrote :
> > triplemultiplex wrote :
> > > No I am not claiming religion is the only source of extremist fucktardery
> > > in the history of humanity.
> > >
> > > I'm saying that in modern times, religion provides the single most
> > > widespread incentive to do something as extreme as suicide bombing. I'm
> > > sure there's a handful of exceptions but by and large, most of this sh*t is
> > > fueled by religion.
> >
> >
> > When do we start defining modern times? After the end of the Cold War? 2000?
> etc?
> >
> > Also, deathsquad, you are an intolerant assh*le. The OP didn't do anything but
> say
> > everyone can ask him/her questions as a Muslim. Not as a terrorist, not as an
> > extremist, not as someone who hates America. The OP didn't even say anything
> > negative.
> LoL
>
> f*ck you!! Why should I be tolerant of these camel jockeys. What have the 90% of
> "peaceful" muslims done to discourage the bad apples? NOTHING. So until
> they do I hate them just as much as the extremist. We don't need muslim sympathizers
> in this country either. Go to the Middle East and practice your tolerance and see
> what happens to your dumb ass.

Let me be the first.

Any violence performed by any muslim should be reacted to with the full extent of the law. Justice should be served. Justice.

I am a muslim and I condem violence in the name of any religion. I condem violence.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 am

zzyzx 1 wrote :
> qharvard wrote :
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I am an American Muslim and want to chit chat with anyone that has any
> > questions for a muslim.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Hi qharvard. I'm ZZ. I would like to chit chat with you too with some questions for
> you. But what shall we do? Post them here and then you'll answer them later, or is
> there a time of day that you are usually on SPS?
>
> Thank you. That is my question for now :)
>
> btw, searching your profile here on the board, I see that this is the one and only
> one post you ever made here. It was last night at 7:29 PM Pacific. I hope you come
> back so we can discuss.
>
> -ZZ

Yeah I started the thread after a guy told me that I should be level headed and not an asshat. Then I went to school and got owned, super owned. So I just got back to check it.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:40 am

Azer wrote :
> lol dude this guy isn't even answering any questions
>
> i would like to ask how sick must a prophet be to marry a very n00b girl
> who's just 9?

When I see stuff like this I tend not to believe it.

I have also heard that this was actually very normal at the time. I could quote some other people hear... Ok I'll do it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/clevonameri ... IPGxuNAKms

He does a good job. I am lazy.

I will say this. I have chosen to be a muslim. Just like there was a time when I chose to be an atheist. While growing up I read books on how to have discussions with other religions. I was trained to point out every single inaccuracy in each religion besides my own. I would quote versus from other books just to show the contradiction so that I could say "this couldn't be true", and my book is better.

But after awhile I began to realize that people could do the same thing to my religion. I could even do the same things to my religion. After 9-11 I started to think about things, how could this happen, why did they have to be muslim. Then I started to think about a lot of other things (mainly slavery). After much soul searching I am very thankful to be given faith again.

I believe we have a choice to make with faith. We can chose any different form that we want. We can chose. They are all right. sh*t, I'm starting to sound like a madman.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 am

triplemultiplex wrote :
> M00ndragon69 wrote :
> > Triple, you really showed your bias against people who believe differently
> > than yourself just now when you kind of lumped all religious people ( of
> > all religions, not just Islam or the others that are kind of famous for
> > being less than tolerant to certain people) into the same category as the
> > extremists.
>
> You misunderstood me. I am not attempting to characterize all religious people as
> potential extremists. I'm simply pointing out that extremist activities where persons
> cause violence in the name of their god is an inevitable side effect of the existence
> of religion. Because there will always be some cocktards who takes it too literally
> or too seriously, no matter what the religion. We just need a religion of sufficient
> size in order for extremism to rear it's ugly head.
>
> It is sooo much easier to incite people to violence if you can exploit their
> religious beliefs. That's why leaders throughout history invoke their god as they're
> rallying the troops for war. This has been true from the smallest territorial
> pissing match between hunter-gatherers to great empires of the ancient world to
> ongoing wars today.
>
> Don't misunderstand me, everyone, I'm not blaming all wars on religion. That's
> ignorant and factually incorrect. I'm saying religion makes starting and justifying
> wars easier.

I know people that will do anything I want them to for a few bucks. I can pay someone $500 bucks (got to be at their lowest for them to do it), but still. I can just wait until someone has hit "rock" bottom (get me) and give em a couple bucks. I don't think their religion matters to them at that point.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am

Pip Tweek wrote :
> I think the only really important question is: why do some Muslims think
> murder and destruction is justified based on someone creating or displaying
> an image of Muhammed?

When I first heard about what was going to happen on South Park I was upset. And in my anger, unfortunately, i thought "people will get what they deserve". But that is wrong. Any violence against these cartoonists is a travesty, and I'm ashamed that I thought that. Unfortunately, I will probably make the mistake again. I only hope that I get wiser in life and learn more.

It is hard to explain this but I'll try. When I was a kid I got into a fight with some neighborhood kids. I got the sh*t kicked out of me. Really bad. This was a rough neighborhood, so everyone that I talked to told me that I needed to kill this boy (philly man, philly). I kept telling them that all he did was beat me up and I didn't have to kill him. I couldn't understand why these people were telling me to kill this guy, but that was the way they lived their life. They all thought I was a punk because I never tryed to shoot, or stab the guy. So, because I made the decision to be a man and take my ass whoppin everyone talked sh*t and called me a punk. But, I relished it, because I knew I was right (very rare). It was so obvious for me that these people were backwards, but they just couldnt see it. I'm no better I have been in their position when I couldn't see the truth as well.

It is the same thing with other things in life, like this.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:55 am

Just_Jackie wrote :
> Pip Tweek wrote :
> > I think the only really important question is: why do some Muslims think
> > murder and destruction is justified based on someone creating or displaying
> > an image of Muhammed?
>
>
> Isn't it in the Quran (SP?) that showing an image is an offense that is punishable
> by death?

lol, no.
thellama73

Postby thellama73 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 am

qharvard wrote :

> I don't know if (preventing) drawing a picture of Muhammad is actually a part of my
> religion. I think it is a tradition, but not dictated by the religion. I might be
> wrong. Growing up I understood it to mean that we just didnt want to mess things up
> by idolizing Muhammad. In my house we were taught to not idolize people because it
> could morph into some type of deity when really they were just men/women.

I have a serious question that I mean with all respect and no mean-spiretedness, but it's something that I've wondered about a lot of Christians as well.
How can you be serious about your faith (the answer to some of the most important questions the world has ever faced) if you haven't read your holy document and don't understand some of the tenants of the religion? If you really believe that the Q'ran is the word of God, couldn't you at least be bothered to see what he has to say?
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 am

Niels0827 wrote :
> Pip Tweek wrote:
>
> I think the only really important question is: why do some Muslims think
> murder and destruction is justified based on someone creating or displaying
> an image of Muhammed?
>
> ___________________________________________________________
>
> Because the Qu'ran justifies violence in dozens of passages. While not
> specifically mentioning those who depict the prophet, they can be just as
> easily interpreted for use against any non-Muslim or anyone a Muslim feels
> is disgraceful. Ironic, isn't it?
>
> Case in point:
>
> (2:191) - "And slay them [non-believers] wherever ye find them, and
> drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of
> Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until
> persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."
>
> (3:151) - "Soon shall we cast terror into the hearts of the
> Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had
> sent no authority".
>
> __________________________________________________________
>
>
>
> Just_Jackie wrote:
> Isn't it in the Quran (SP?) that showing an image is an offense that is
> punishable by death?
>
> Nope. It's all based on tradition. In fact, to my understanding, most Shi'a
> Muslims don't give a sh*t if you depict the prophet. It's the radical
> Sunnis who get pissy over it. It's become a tradition within their
> demonination.

2:191 is out of context and not exact. The [non-believers] part is not

Before discussing it I have a question. What is the difference between someone who quotes a book to further their NEGATIVE aspirations, and someone who quotes the same book to further their "POSITIVE" aspirations?

Anyway:

2:190 "And fight in the cause of god those who fight and persecute you, but commit no aggression. Surely, god does not love the aggressors."

2:191 "And slay them when and where you get the better of them..."

So it was a little out of context. We really have to be careful when we start adding parenthesis and square brackets to stuff.

Scriptures are there to be read, not really debated over. Especially by me. I am sorry but I can't do it. For every verse you bring out of any book (Quran, Bible, Turah, ect.) I can find any different way to twist it into my beliefs and to support my answer. This is how people convince ignorant (not dumb, just ignorant) people to believe in crazy sh*t. Like... killing people for drawing pictures, writing books, singing songs, homosexuality, the list goes on.

idk man, other people here seem to have better answers than me, but hey. At least I tried.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 am

thellama73 wrote :
> qharvard wrote :
>
> > I don't know if (preventing) drawing a picture of Muhammad is actually a part of
> my
> > religion. I think it is a tradition, but not dictated by the religion. I might
> be
> > wrong. Growing up I understood it to mean that we just didnt want to mess things
> up
> > by idolizing Muhammad. In my house we were taught to not idolize people because
> it
> > could morph into some type of deity when really they were just men/women.
>
> I have a serious question that I mean with all respect and no mean-spiretedness, but
> it's something that I've wondered about a lot of Christians as well.
> How can you be serious about your faith (the answer to some of the most important
> questions the world has ever faced) if you haven't read your holy document and don't
> understand some of the tenants of the religion? If you really believe that the Q'ran
> is the word of God, couldn't you at least be bothered to see what he has to say?

I am serious about my belief in GOD. I believe god has created a lot of things. Trees, flowers, skies, ect., and yes books (not just the quran). I have read the quran, mainly in arabic. Islam is easy, five pillars, they are the main tenant of my religion.

Cut me some slack man. I am trying.
Last edited by qharvard on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
thellama73

Postby thellama73 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 am

qharvard wrote :
> I am serious about GOD. God has created a lot of things. Trees, flowers, skies,
> ect., and yes books (not just the quran). I have read the Quran, mainly in arabic.
> Islam is easy, five pillars, they are the main tenant of my religion.
>
> Cut me some slack man. I am trying.

Fair enough. Your previous comments led me to believe you hadn't read it, so I apologize for my assumption. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but I've met many die hard Christians who have never read the Bible and it baffles me. How can they take a book as the guide for how to live if they don't know what it says?

I'm an agnostic, but I've read the Bible twice (haven't gotten around to the Quran yet, but someday.)
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:31 am

thellama73 wrote :
I've met many die hard Christians who have never read the Bible and it baffles me. How can they take a book as the guide for how to live if they don't know what it says?

Because if they read the Bible, they face the probability of becoming atheist. Many people are atheists BECAUSE they've read the Bible. Same thing with the Qu'ran.

It'll open up people's eyes in a much different way than it was intended.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

qharvard wrote:
2:191 is out of context and not exact. The [non-believers] part is not

It's not out of context. The non-believers are who the book was referring to. Throughout the Qu'ran, the sole and primary "antagonists" are 'non-believers' (i.e. non-Muslims, not just atheists).
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 am

Niels0827 wrote :
> thellama73 wrote :
> I've met many die hard Christians who have never read the Bible and it
> baffles me. How can they take a book as the guide for how to live if they
> don't know what it says?
>
> Because if they read the Bible, they face the probability of becoming
> atheist. Many people are atheists BECAUSE they've read the Bible. Same
> thing with the Qu'ran.
>
> It'll open up people's eyes in a much different way than it was intended.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> qharvard wrote:
> 2:191 is out of context and not exact. The [non-believers] part is not
>
> It's not out of context. The non-believers are who the book was referring
> to. Throughout the Qu'ran, the sole and primary "antagonists" are
> 'non-believers' (i.e. non-Muslims, not just atheists).

Extremists don't read their chosen texts because extremists, by and large, attach certain meanings to certain passages and don't wish to move beyond that. Moving beyond that threatens their world-view.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 am

Niels0827 wrote :
> thellama73 wrote :
> I've met many die hard Christians who have never read the Bible and it
> baffles me. How can they take a book as the guide for how to live if they
> don't know what it says?
>
> Because if they read the Bible, they face the probability of becoming
> atheist. Many people are atheists BECAUSE they've read the Bible. Same
> thing with the Qu'ran.
>
> It'll open up people's eyes in a much different way than it was intended.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> qharvard wrote:
> 2:191 is out of context and not exact. The [non-believers] part is not
>
> It's not out of context. The non-believers are who the book was referring
> to. Throughout the Qu'ran, the sole and primary "antagonists" are
> 'non-believers' (i.e. non-Muslims, not just atheists).

I can't agree 100% with that because also in the quran many non-believers are not antagonists. Like say.. mothers, fathers, children, christians, jews, women, men, just all around good people.

And, reading the Quran or Bible doesn't turn you away from religion any more than a starving baby will turn someone away from the existence of god.

It is not hard to find an argument to not believe in god, I can give you 10 really easily. We cannot allow others choices to affect our personal perspective on life. It is a personal relationship.
qharvard

Postby qharvard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:46 am

ShaneHaughey wrote :
> Niels0827 wrote :
> > thellama73 wrote :
> > I've met many die hard Christians who have never read the Bible and it
> > baffles me. How can they take a book as the guide for how to live if they
> > don't know what it says?
> > ___________________________________________________________
> >
> > Because if they read the Bible, they face the probability of becoming
> > atheist. Many people are atheists BECAUSE they've read the Bible. Same
> > thing with the Qu'ran.
> >
> > It'll open up people's eyes in a much different way than it was intended.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > qharvard wrote:
> > 2:191 is out of context and not exact. The [non-believers] part is not
> > ___________________________________________________________
> >
> > It's not out of context. The non-believers are who the book was referring
> > to. Throughout the Qu'ran, the sole and primary "antagonists" are
> > 'non-believers' (i.e. non-Muslims, not just atheists).
>
>
> Extremists don't read their chosen texts because extremists, by and large, attach
> certain meanings to certain passages and don't wish to move beyond that. Moving
> beyond that threatens their world-view.

I have met some borderline extremists, and they do read their text. I'm talking about most religions here not just my own. That is why I don't like arguing over scripture, because people can twist it anyway they see fit. So why would I do the same thing, just to fit what I am saying?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”