> > for mankind. A lot of it is just to make life more convenient which just
> > drives up laziness. And the quote about going to the moon. How much money
> > was spent on that? Money that could have been used to better the lives or
> > livelihoods of people.
> >
> > I grew up always staying on the cutting edge of technology. But when I was
> > 17/18 my mind completely changed, I am now anti-tech. And yes, I am a
> > hypocrite because I am typing this on a computer. If I had my way, there
> > would be a large cell phone burning.
>
> The quote is from a Pink Floyd song

Eh, Pink Floyd is alright, but it doesn't make the statement any more meaningful.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
triplemultiplex

Re: God is for morons!

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 pm

capt_falcone wrote :
> I don't know what world you guys live in but most science doesn't do sh*t
> for mankind. A lot of it is just to make life more convenient which just
> drives up laziness.

I would disagree entirely.
What kind of value do you place on knowledge? Aren't we all better off knowing more about how the Universe works? There's some cool sh*t out there; down here too.
Medicine; just in my own lifetime many cancer diagnosis have gone from a death sentence to extremely treatable. Next time you need surgery, you are reaping the benefits of science.

Science goes way beyond new fangled gadgets and abstract theories and I find it difficult not to see how every aspect of one's life has been totally and completely shaped by science. That's pretty ignorant.

You read it! You can't unread it!
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 pm

triplemultiplex wrote :
> capt_falcone wrote :
> > I don't know what world you guys live in but most science doesn't do sh*t
> > for mankind. A lot of it is just to make life more convenient which just
> > drives up laziness.
>
> I would disagree entirely.
> What kind of value do you place on knowledge? Aren't we all better off knowing more
> about how the Universe works? There's some cool sh*t out there; down here too.
> Medicine; just in my own lifetime many cancer diagnosis have gone from a death
> sentence to extremely treatable. Next time you need surgery, you are reaping the
> benefits of science.
>
> Science goes way beyond new fangled gadgets and abstract theories and I find it
> difficult not to see how every aspect of one's life has been totally and completely
> shaped by science. That's pretty ignorant.

Note, I said MOST technology is bad. Obviously advances in medicine are one aspect that helps improve quality of life. Please tell me how having a sell phone that can hold more aps makes me a healthier, safer, and more protected human being? How does it help society A cell phone on its own can help save lives, because it can be used in situations where land lines are impossible. But we are well beyond the necessary aspects of cell phones now.
Same can be said for space tech and research, I've read about some experiments that are done is space that can then be translated to help people, and that's good. But how does knowing about another galaxy impact my life? How does it make it better? There's so much wrong with the world we live in, yet countless dollars are dumped into things that make no difference. Not only is much of technology not helping anything, but its also hurting some aspects of life.

How about we make the world a better place to live, before we make it a convenient place to live.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
Mrs._Eff

Postby Mrs._Eff » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm

*points at Joseph Stalin*

Right, because without religion, people do no wrong what-so-ever.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:06 am

Mrs._Eff wrote :
> *points at Joseph Stalin*
>
> Right, because without religion, people do no wrong what-so-ever.

Stalin was evil because he was a dictator with some f*cked up philosophies. That's like calling Hitler evil because he was a Catholic.

And yes, Hitler was a Catholic.

I'm not saying that atheists can't be evil, but religion is used as a justification of hate more than anything else in the world.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 am

Niels0827 wrote :
> like calling Hitler evil because he was a Catholic.
>
> And yes, Hitler was a Catholic.

Hey now, they THINK Hitler was an Atheist. Amazing what lies a religious group can spread, eh?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:43 am

Hitler both praised and criticized Christianity, but at one point he purportedly said "I am now, as before, a Catholic, and will always remain so", according to evidence found in the diary of a Nazi general.

From what I can find, he was most definately a Christian. Atheists were not common in 1930s Western Europe.

I mean, come on...I can understand a Christian hating Jews, but an atheist hating Jews? Does not compute. Sure, an atheist can hate any group of people for whatever reason they want, but to wipe out millions of them with such devotion......I'm sorry, but that takes religion.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Wed May 26, 2010 6:49 am

+1
Martin Luther, the leader of the Protestant Reformation in Germany, was even a greater anti-Semite than Hitler, though more in theory than in practice. But, had he been given Hitler’s power, he would have definitely exterminated the Jews to the last one without any hesitation.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 pm

capt_falcone wrote :
> I don't know what world you guys live in but most science doesn't do sh*t
> for mankind. A lot of it is just to make life more convenient which just
> drives up laziness. And the quote about going to the moon. How much money
> was spent on that? Money that could have been used to better the lives or
> livelihoods of people.
>
> I grew up always staying on the cutting edge of technology. But when I was
> 17/18 my mind completely changed, I am now anti-tech. And yes, I am a
> hypocrite because I am typing this on a computer. If I had my way, there
> would be a large cell phone burning.
I REALLY disagree.
People (especially babies and the elderly) would die in winter and summer if heating/air conditioning wasn't invented.
Cell phones save lives. If there's a fire and your house phone is burning and you have a cell phone, that's a life saver.
Cars/airplanes/etc. may boost laziness, but do you REALLY want to walk 60 miles? How about 200?
Computers increase knowledge, which is extremely important.
Those are a few examples.
Technology does great for humans. Humans who abuse it for laziness are bad. The technology itself is great.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
AugustWearsRed

Postby AugustWearsRed » Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 am

I respect that people have their views, but I don't like it when people go overboard. I'm Christian and proud of it, but I don't rub it in other peoples' faces. Be what you want. For some people, religion is just a matter of why we are here. But it is possible that most of the Bible didn't really happen. More liberal Christians believe that a lot of it is almost like a figure of speech. I think that no matter where religion goes, it can lead to violence, which is terrible. Some people need to realise that there's a difference between following and being an extremist.
TOTAL_BRUTAL

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Thu May 27, 2010 2:32 am

Niels0827 wrote:I mean, come on...I can understand a Christian hating Jews, but an atheist hating Jews? Does not compute. Sure, an atheist can hate any group of people for whatever reason they want, but to wipe out millions of them with such devotion......I'm sorry, but that takes religion.

I could NEVER understand Christians hating jews because their "lord and saviour" was, like his killers, Jewish.
Last edited by TOTAL_BRUTAL on Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 am

TOTAL_BRUTAL wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:I mean, come on...I can understand a Christian hating Jews, but an atheist hating Jews? Does not compute. Sure, an atheist can hate any group of people for whatever reason they want, but to wipe out millions of them with such devotion......I'm sorry, but that takes religion.

I could NEVER understand Christians hating jews because their "lord and saviour" was, like his killers, Jewish.

And God's chosen people...

Also, BBCode is back. f*ck yeah.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 am

TOTAL_BRUTAL wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:I could NEVER understand Christians hating jews because their "lord and saviour" was, like his killers, Jewish.

Anti-semitism was not new when Hitler was elected into office. Religion is the number one reason for xenophobia. There is no question about it. You can also say it's personal bias, but the primary reason behind the bias is......religion. If you're not religious, then it's something else. If you're religious and your bias isn't connected to religion, you're just in the minority.

You know why many Christians hate gays and atheists and Jews and Muslims and even other branches of Christianity? Because those people are not like them. If there's one thing religion does to many people - and I say "many", not "all" - it teaches them to fear or shun those who are different. It does this by putting it in the words of a deity (e.g. God, Allah).
TOTAL_BRUTAL

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 am

AugustWearsRed wrote:I respect that people have their views, but I don't like it when people go overboard. I'm Christian and proud of it, but I don't rub it in other peoples' faces. Be what you want. For some people, religion is just a matter of why we are here. But it is possible that most of the Bible didn't really happen. More liberal Christians believe that a lot of it is almost like a figure of speech. I think that no matter where religion goes, it can lead to violence, which is terrible. Some people need to realise that there's a difference between following and being an extremist.

You have the right idea. The last people I had an intellegent discussion about this topic were a christian metalcore band, Gwen Stacy. They're serious about their faith but their not snobbish or biased about it in any way. Seriously some of the coolest guys I've ever met, let alone done a show with. If every "Christian" I knew was as cool as they were the world would be at least a slightly better place.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”