The Astronomy Thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Samathou

Re: In Between SP Seasons, Who's Interested in Astronomy?

Postby Samathou » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Cool! :D
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegal ... _1753.html

This image from the GOES-13 satellite, taken at 10:32 a.m. EDT on Sept. 3, shows a huge Hurricane Earl northeast of North Carolina with cloud cover stretching over the northeastern U.S. A disorganized Tropical Storm Fiona is located in the bottom right of this image.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:07:10 -0500

Mounted atop a specialized transporter, space shuttle Discovery is all set for a short drive Wednesday morning to the Vehicle Assembly Building where it will be joined to a waiting set of two solid rocket boosters and a fuel tank. The move, known as "rollover" to the NASA Kennedy Space Center community of space workers, is slated to begin at 6:30 a.m. when Discovery is carefully backed out of Orbiter Processing Facility-3. The 76-wheeled transport will then truck the spacecraft across a wide, concrete road and into the VAB, where a skilled team of technicians will bolt a huge sling to the orbiter so it can be safely lifted and joined to the boosters and tank.

While their spacecraft undergoes preparations in Florida, the astronauts who will fly Discovery to the International Space Station will be practicing for their arrival in space. Training at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, the crew will conduct a suited post-insertion simulation today.
Samathou

Postby Samathou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Perfect! We've someone to tell us Astronomic news! :o
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:57 pm

NASA Scientists Talk About Asteroids Passing Near Earth Wednesday

Two asteroids will pass within the moon's distance from Earth on Wednesday, Sept. 8. :o

The Catalina Sky Survey near Tucson, Ariz., discovered both objects on Sunday, Sept. 5. The Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Mass., reviewed the observations and determined the preliminary orbits. The center's personnel concluded both objects would pass within the distance of the moon to Earth, approximately 240,000 miles. The asteroids should be visible with moderate-sized amateur telescopes.

Neither asteroid will hit Earth.

Asteroid 2010 RX30 is estimated to be approximately 32 to 65 feet in size and will pass within approximately 154,000 miles of Earth at 5:51 a.m. EDT today on Wednesday. The second object, 2010 RF12, estimated to be 20 to 46 feet in size, will pass within approximately 49,000 miles at 5:12 p.m. EDT.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:56 pm

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegal ... _1755.html

Filled with trash and discarded items, the unpiloted ISS Progress 38 supply vehicle departed from the International Space Station at 7:22 a.m. (EDT) on Aug. 31, 2010.

Russian flight controllers conduct thruster tests with the Progress to gather engineering data until it deorbited and burned up in Earth's atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. Its departure cleared the way for the arrival of the next Russian resupply vehicle, ISS Progress 39, which launched Sept. 8 and will dock Sept. 10, delivering 2.5 tons of food, fuel and supplies for the Expedition 24 crew.
Samathou

Postby Samathou » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 pm

My fantasy: A BIIIIIG ECLIPSE OF SUN WHILE SCHOOL! :o and even for several days. Or a star explosion which would be visible from our country. Damage nothing like that hasn't been predicted yet.
But after all, sky is unpredictable, is it? :)
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Samathou wrote:But after all, sky is unpredictable, is it? :)

Yes. That's what killed the dinosaurs! A 6 mile wide (9.6 km) comet hit the earth, and where it hit the earth something new was created: The Gulf of Mexico :o
Samathou

Postby Samathou » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:31 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:
Samathou wrote:But after all, sky is unpredictable, is it? :)

Yes. That's what killed the dinosaurs! A 6 mile wide (9.6 km) comet hit the earth, and where it hit the earth something new was created: The Gulf of Mexico :o

Yeah xD Actually, it's only a theory but scientics think that, then... :roll:
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 am

Here's a short video (about 50 seconds) about counting the craters on the moon:

http://www.nasa.gov/mp4/482832main_lro_ ... redone.mp4
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 am

A last quarter crescent moon above Earth's horizon is featured in this image photographed by the Expedition 24 crew on the International Space Station.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegal ... _1762.html
Starchild91

Postby Starchild91 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:46 am

The older I've gotten, the more interested in astronomy have I gotten. (I actually want a telescope for my birthday.) But all the hard words bore me.
: P That's why I prefer watching simplified documentaries on Discovery channel over reading long-ass essays from NASA's site and such. :roll:

I am really fascinated by nebulae(/nebulas?), though. They have to be the most beautiful things ever existed. If I had to spend the rest of my life looking at one thing it would be that.

Another thing, that's always caught my eyes; is the Pleiades star cluster. Ever since I was a little girl I've said those stars were mine, and I always looked for them on the sky when I was little.

Dean Winchester: Cherub?
Castiel: Yeah, they're all over the world. There are dozens of them.
Dean Winchester: You mean the little, flying, fat kids in diapers?
Castiel: They're not incontinent.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:17 am

Starchild91 wrote:Another thing, that's always caught my eyes; is the Pleiades star cluster. Ever since I was a little girl I've said those stars were mine, and I always looked for them on the sky when I was little.

@Starchild91: Did you know that on the back of EVERY Subaru car/SUV is an emblem showing the Pleiades star cluster?????

Here, take a look:

Samathou

Postby Samathou » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Have you ever seen a comet?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”