Well thank you Michael Moore!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Well thank you Michael Moore!

Postby Big-Will » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 am

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/13/b ... ays-moore/

(CNN) – Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore is weighing in on the proposed Islamic Community Center in New York City, stirring the the pot by saying he doesn't want it to be built near Ground Zero but rather on Ground Zero.

"I want it built on Ground Zero. Why? Because I believe in an America that protects those who are the victims of hate and prejudice," Moore writes in an open letter on his website. "I believe in an America that says you have the right to worship whatever God you have, wherever you want to worship.

"And I believe in an America that says to the world that we are a loving and generous people and if a bunch of murderers steal your religion from you and use it as their excuse to kill 3,000 souls, then I want to help you get your religion back. And I want to put it at the spot where it was stolen from you," he added.

The filmmaker is also urging his supporters to contribute money to help fund the controversial project and is pledging to match up to $10,000 in donations.

I'm not seeing how building a mosque ON Ground Zero would help Muslims get their religion back. Hell, I'm not seeing how Islam was taken away from its followers in the first place. You?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Niels0827

Re: Well thank you Michael Moore!

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 am

I'm pretty damn liberal, and while I agree with his reasoning, it ends there. To build it NEAR Ground Zero is asinine, let alone ON Ground Zero.

Sure, Americans are allowed, and should be allowed, to practice any religion (or better yet, not practice any), but the problem isn't the semantics or legality in the issue. The problem is ignorance.

Most Americans obviously don't want a mosque anywhere near Ground Zero, and building one there will do nothing but incite rage and hostility amongst many people of all kinds in this country, regardless of the legality or morale behind the ability to do so.

Yes, they have the right to build it there, but you have to question their mindset to still go forward with their plans following the amount of publicity and controversy it's caused. It surely won't do much good for the Muslim world, which already has a pretty low and unfavored presence amongst many people in the country.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:01 am

He isn't explaining it well, but I think what he means about the Muslims having their religion "stolen" is that because of what the extremists do, people outside the religion associate Islam with violence, and that not all Muslims are violent and they don't deserve to be lumped into the same category as the terrorists. I do agree, all forms of belief, including atheism have their assh*le extremists, and that it is unfair to lump people who are not harming anyone and just trying to live their lives with the extremists. However, I kind of have the feeling that what his saying is more about getting himself media attention than anything else. He is kind of an attention whore.

From what I have seen in the media, it seemed like they were making it seem like the mosque was going to be built right on ground zero, which, understandably would piss a lot of people off. But since that is not the case, and it is only going to be built near ground zero, I don't see the problem. I have never been to New York, I am not familiar with the area where the Mosque is going to be built, I don't know what that community is like, so I don't see why I would have the right to say they can't do it. We are suppost to have freedom of religion in this country, and in my case, there probably are certain people who would be mad at me and my friend for doing pagan rituals in the woods behind their church if they knew about it.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 am

Niels0827 wrote:I'm pretty damn liberal, and while I agree with his reasoning, it ends there. To build it NEAR Ground Zero is asinine, let alone ON Ground Zero.

Sure, Americans are allowed, and should be allowed, to practice any religion (or better yet, not practice any), but the problem isn't the semantics or legality in the issue. The problem is ignorance.

Most Americans obviously don't want a mosque anywhere near Ground Zero, and building one there will do nothing but incite rage and hostility amongst many people of all kinds in this country, regardless of the legality or morale behind the ability to do so.

Yes, they have the right to build it there, but you have to question their mindset to still go forward with their plans following the amount of publicity and controversy it's caused. It surely won't do much good for the Muslim world, which already has a pretty low and unfavored presence amongst many people in the country.

I have to disagree entirely.

It is NOT ground zero, it was NOT an issue before some f*cking blogger made it an issue. Even FOX a year ago had interviewed the Imam's wife about it and the anchor said "It's a good idea".

All the people offended by this are offended for nothing, and are being lied to about the funding and being told the Imam is radical when UNDER BUSH (and Obama) he was used by the state department to talk to the Muslim world on behalf of America.

I think this is a test of the first amendment, and that it should be built ESPECIALLY because people are offended. Show them this ISN'T a "terror Mosque" and make them also realize that "OH GOD f*cking DAMN, THEY HAVE A CHRISTIAN AND JEWISH PRAYER CENTER INSIDE THIS BUILDING, TOO?" (yes they do. As has been said millions of times only to fall on deaf ears: IT IS AN ISLAMIC CULTURAL AND COMMUNITY CENTER, THAT HAPPENS TO HOUSE A PRAYER ROOM UP TOP. For f*ck's sake, it has a church and a synagogue in it.

I can understand why someone would feel offended, but until they say that NO CHURCH can be built near the Oklahoma City attack site, they need to shut up.

That said, Michael Moore is a dumbass.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Diabeteth

Postby Diabeteth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:17 pm

If it were actually ON ground zero, I would understand the problem. But it isn't, so who cares?

Oh wait, Michael Moore wants it to be on ground zero. Okay, Mr. Moore, shut up. You hurt your cause when you do things like this.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Swing and a miss, Mikey.

His statement should've ended with, "You're welcome, Sean Hannity."

This community center thing was a home run, touchdown, three pointer knockout for right wing media. They successfully took a complete non-issue and turned it into a pariah. The perfect thing to distract the electorate from the fact that if elected this year, their candidates will do everything in their power to reinstate the disastrous policies of deregulation that collapsed the economy.

I think it's worth mentioning that only just now, 9 long years after 9/11 there finally exists something on the World Trade Center Site above street level. No permanent memorial, no gleaming new skyscraper, no physical manifestation of closure. But for a few stories of steel & concrete, it's still The Freedom Pit.

You read it! You can't unread it!
2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 pm

I wouldn't be offended if they built a mosque inside whatever ends up on ground zero, as long as they rebuild some thing!

Tripple is totally right, FOX and friends had the moderate Imman who proposed this on and praised it a couple years back. Mike's just doing what he does best, get people to look at him, though he's playing into the idea that this is important. Anyone who says this isn't close to the site miss the point, its supposed to be, to show muslim american solidarity with the US. Those who take the flaws in Islam as reason not to build it, should attack all mosques with this vigor as they propogate the idea just as much, and any attack on the middle east would need to bridge the grand canyon gap between building this thing and being run by an iman.
I don't like sites that exist just to infect people with religion or maintain this unnesicarilly divisive cultural diversity, impeeding intigration, but it wouldn't matter where this building is located and its unlikely anyone would burn the constitution and take on Islam let alone all religion and minority culture in the US. So even if you accept Islam should go, attacking one building is a wasted effort.
It seems most of the arguments for this are abstract moral BS, no one's told me how it effects anyone's life yet for better or worse.

The technical legality is a pussy's way out; as is the tactic of saying something's contraversial (because of FOX propaganda) so shouldn't happen weather said propaganda is true or false. I don't like it when we give into the muslims and i sure as hell don't like it when we give into brusque "islamophobic" ignoramuses; that the mosque will piss people off means nothing. That most people oppose it means nothing, argumentum ad angry crowdium.
Look into the people building it and their reasons why and the anti-mosque attitude is bemusing.
SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Paul get your ass on MSN.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:32 am

Someone ought to fly a plane into Michael Moore, the loudmouthed dumbass. I understand what he means, but he has this way of intentionally being controversial with his ideas to get attention.

So..thanks Micheal Moore, you bloated attention whore. Please stop your blubbery maw from flapping once in a while, you lard-laden bag of wind.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Swing and a miss, Mikey.

His statement should've ended with, "You're welcome, Sean Hannity."

This community center thing was a home run, touchdown, three pointer knockout for right wing media. They successfully took a complete non-issue and turned it into a pariah. The perfect thing to distract the electorate from the fact that if elected this year, their candidates will do everything in their power to reinstate the disastrous policies of deregulation that collapsed the economy.

I think it's worth mentioning that only just now, 9 long years after 9/11 there finally exists something on the World Trade Center Site above street level. No permanent memorial, no gleaming new skyscraper, no physical manifestation of closure. But for a few stories of steel & concrete, it's still The Freedom Pit.

Wow, dude. I didn't think you'd get off Halo Reach long enough to make it in here. LOL

Anyway, Moore is stooping to the level of a Conservative blogger here. Despite the fact that many people are against the mosque, when push comes to shove it's a property rights issue. If the people who own the land want to built a mosque there, they can. If people don't like it, f*ck 'em, it's not their property to say what can be done with it.

Instead of just letting the story die so we can go onto the next stupid overblown issue, Moore is stirring the pot again by making another stupid, moronic statement, just in the direction of the left. If Moore really knew anything about politics (hehe, yea right) he'd understand that there are elections going on in some places, and maybe they belong in the news more than he does.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am

To hell with Michael Moore. He's just a fat guy with a fat mouth.

Mosque at ground zero? No

2 blocks away at an old Burlington Coat Factory that's vacant? Why is that an issue anyway?

Nevermind, Fox News Channel. The same people who don't even realize is partially owned by the guy funding it.
Stan and Kyle :)
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:Someone ought to fly a plane into Michael Moore...

That would never work. It'd just wind up being absorbed into his gelatinous self, and be used to fuel some new insane tirade.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:Wow, dude. I didn't think you'd get off Halo Reach long enough to make it in here. LOL

It is fun. :D

Two blocks doesn't sound like much, but this is Lower Manhattan. The proposed structure wouldn't even be visible from the World Trade Center. The reverse would be true as well. I don't even think one would be able to see this community center from the observation deck of the proposed tower. Unless it has a glass floor or something. And even then one would have a tough time picking it out among the rest of the edifices. But who cares; on a clear day with a pair of binoculars, you'll be able to see dozens of mosques and hundreds of churches and dozens more synagogues. Whoop-dee-shit.

You read it! You can't unread it!
2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 pm

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DTvYPyd4g]
Watch this 9/11 survivor and supporter of the Mosque walk the 2 blocks to see how long the distance is[/url]

he has this way of intentionally being controversial with his ideas to get attention.

That's his job isn't it, or if job is too strong a word, the way he makes his money? Some anvils need to be dropped however hard they are, but this isn't one; he should stick to pushing all his uncountable weight behind issues that actually matter.

Some make the mistake that, just because the opposition has responded disproportionately, they have to as well, this is the only way i can explain the libs who press us to consider Al Queda's stated reasons for the 9/11 attacks, such as not allowing them to perform genocides in Indonesia and having bases on "muslim" lands. There are legitimate reasons to be displeased with the West but blowing up towers won't solve anything and they sure as hell aren't Al Quedas.

It's a property rights issue

We know where the law stands on this, this debate could have become a discussion of how far property rights should extend but its stayed a thoughtless shouting match.

Instead of just letting the story die so we can go onto the next stupid overblown issue

Maybe its best to stop them doing their hit and run tactics for once =/
SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”