Elections

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Re: Elections

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:47 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
clydefrog4963 wrote:So I have decided to say f*ck em, I'm not voting..not that if I did it would have mattered much because I would just be guessing who I am voting for...And I would vote against judges who have sent me to jail. ;p

That's just about the worse thing you can do is not vote. And just because you're sick of the stupid ads? C'mon, man. If a person doesn't vote they've got nothing to complain about for the next 2 years.

Exactly. I know more than a few people who bitch and complain about government and have never voted in their life. I do not respect them, nor do I give credence to their views.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 am

"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
clydefrog4963

Postby clydefrog4963 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:30 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
clydefrog4963 wrote:So I have decided to say f*ck em, I'm not voting..not that if I did it would have mattered much because I would just be guessing who I am voting for...And I would vote against judges who have sent me to jail. ;p

That's just about the worse thing you can do is not vote. And just because you're sick of the stupid ads? C'mon, man. If a person doesn't vote they've got nothing to complain about for the next 2 years.

I often think this is the intent of these bitter political campaigns. To completely turn off most moderate voters so that only the real committed loonies show up at the polls. All it takes is a few minutes to find out who's running for what and what their positions are.

You can thank the Roberts Supreme Court for the volume of ads this season. That Citizens United decision has opened the floodgates of campaign contributions. I heard some $3 billion has been spent just this year. That's obscene. It's my civic duty to vote against that big money. This is a government by the people for the people, not a government by the rich people for the rich people. So suck it up and fuckin' vote, America.

Oh, don't get your panties in a bundle. I voted. But I did exactly what I said I would do and just guessed for pretty much everyone...I basically just voted against everyone who was currently in office and for green party members wherever possible, lol..

So did my vote count? kinda...not really though... None of the green party candidates were elected....But at least the bill to raise taxes in my county was denied partially by my vote.
Pro-Choice vs. Cartman
Pro-Gun Control vs. Cartman
People Against The Clubbing Of Baby Seals vs. Cartman

My SP Collection: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n104 ... 010192.jpg
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:54 am

Green party is a wasted vote, mathematically, and just voting against people because they are in office is stupid.

This is what canned Russ Feingold. He was a true gentleman, and "voter anger" against the incumbents took him out.

Might I add it is REALLY stupid to vote against your party's man, IF you are of the same positions, more so than his opponent on the ballot. I mean how stupid do people have to be to bring themselves to do that?

I hate these people:
HURR DURR he been there for 30 years and I ain't seen sh*t happen good for me, so I will vote for the guy that is against every thing I stand for! Because an enemy that is against all I am for is better than a friend that let me down!
clydefrog4963

Postby clydefrog4963 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 am

Well the U.S. gave me the right to vote and this is how I use that right. If you don't like that, and want to tell me how to vote, then go to a communist country.
Pro-Choice vs. Cartman
Pro-Gun Control vs. Cartman
People Against The Clubbing Of Baby Seals vs. Cartman

My SP Collection: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n104 ... 010192.jpg
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:49 am

Ok, don't vote based on logic.

And you are right, you do have the right to be a complete dumbass.
2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:32 am

Deontology claims we should avoid bad actions and do good actions, no matter what the ultimate consequences are. Proponents have constructed a complex system differentiating between causing evil and allowing it to occur, accelerating it, removing defences against it, enabling it, or redirecting it. One major objection is that legalistically minded criminals could re-word their causing of evil into any number of the other catagories; as almost any course of action leading to an undesirable outcome could be described as either an allowance or a cause with sufficient wordplay, the distinction can be rendered meaningless. Just one among many problems.

If your as opposed to abortion or execution as some people, you might never be able to forgive yourself for contributing to the election of a candidate committed to supporting those policies. Meg Whitman and Jerry Moonbeam Brown both support baseball basded sentencing measures which almost convinced me to send them both to hell. While I'd prefer no young lives were wasted in foreign wars, or jails for smoking pot, or without a chance of education due to their parents credit rating, we must act in the situation we find ourselves in, and if one tick box on a ballot is likely to lead to one less person suffering than ticking the other it's worth putting your cross there. Brown was the lesser of two evils, and that counts for something.

Don't feel guilty for the evil situation has led you to, but proud you did the best given the limited choices. Always consider probabilities though - what is your act likely to result in, the benefits may be more if you win the lottery but it's so unlikely to happen they can almost be ignored. Even if the party is perfect for you, it's not worth as much as one with a chance of winning.

I mention the Californian govenors race because it's one of the closest in terms of the positions of the 2 candidates the country, as far as I've seen, and the positions on worker's compensation for example are enough to make a vote for Brown worth it IMO.

Past experience is the best indicator of a candidate's future votes; deeds speak louder than words. If you don't know what a candidate will do at all, the other person can still be less in accordance with your desires if you suspect they have a higher than 50% chance of doing something you oppose - complete ignroance of a candidate's probable votes makes either position equally likely from them, but we're unliekly to be in that position we usually know a little about where they'll probably stand if elected so can make some judgement. Politicians don't always follow through on their promises, but if one is promising to do something you oppose and the other isn't it's worth voting the other one, you get me? I've heard only slight indications from both parties, which disapoints me, but it's enough to show one better than the other; we have to work with the scant evidence we've got.

at least the bill to raise taxes in my county was denied partially by my vote.

Direct democracy in action!

GTA has the free speech to tell you how to vote, since it's the US and all. Using the C-word since the fall of the cold war has always seemed hollow, especially since the other person's actions almost never approach what went on in those countries. If you oppose their action, show how the consequences of it clash with your desires or principles, don't try to equate it with some word, and then show how that what that word stands for is bad and nasty. Deontology is often accused of wordplay, for reasons given earlier, the thinking does often lead to this style of argument.

You can legally do a lot of dangerous or stupid things in a liberal democracy like the US, resorting to that as a defence (as when it was used on the "ground zero mosque") has always appeared kind of a last ditch move - you must have better defences for your position than this, I can think of some! Unless you just have better things to do than explain yourself to an annonymous online person I understand that.

I know more than a few people who bitch and complain about government and have never voted in their life.

Let's not insult Whitman anymore i mean she lost 150 million dollars P=
SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:35 am

^ What he said.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”