BRMBug

Re: In "The War on Christmas", Christmas is winning

Postby BRMBug » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 am

There.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 am

And now, a word from a Joo:

Don't think I haven't figured it out. You're not celebrating "holiday". I know for a fact that you guys are all celebrating Christmas. You don't have to pretend you aren't. You made it pretty obvious anyway.

I'm not offended. Why should I be? It's your right, it's a free country, and it's not stopping me from being Jewish. The reaction is mostly envy. You guys all get to fit the mold, while I have to be the one who goes to tell the third graders, "well, in Israel, there were these Greeks, and they weren't letting us...." Annoying? Yes. Offensive? No. Worth suing anyone over? Hell no. But it could be a whole lot worse, and that's really what Hannukah is about: that we get left the hell alone.

Enjoy your Christmas, guys. Don't lump me into it, but don't let me stop you either. Hopefully there'll be less of you guys at the movies that night.

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:22 am

The Silver Banana wrote:And now, a word from a Joo:

Don't think I haven't figured it out. You're not celebrating "holiday". I know for a fact that you guys are all celebrating Christmas. You don't have to pretend you aren't. You made it pretty obvious anyway.

I'm not offended. Why should I be? It's your right, it's a free country, and it's not stopping me from being Jewish. The reaction is mostly envy. You guys all get to fit the mold, while I have to be the one who goes to tell the third graders, "well, in Israel, there were these Greeks, and they weren't letting us...." Annoying? Yes. Offensive? No. Worth suing anyone over? Hell no. But it could be a whole lot worse, and that's really what Hannukah is about: that we get left the hell alone.

Enjoy your Christmas, guys. Don't lump me into it, but don't let me stop you either. Hopefully there'll be less of you guys at the movies that night.

Welcome to the board. It was interesting to hear your point of view on this subject. I think you are right..There are alot of people who act all PC and insist on saying "happy Holidays" but they don't really know anything about the other holidays people celebrate besides Christmas, and while they might not be Christians, they are celebrating Christmas..They kinda are being PC for the sake of being PC, and I can see how that can be annoying. But, you know what, don't be sad that you don;t fit into the mold..I mean, technically what I am celebrating this time of year is Yule, or the winter solistice, and not many people know what that is. Maybe those third graders you are talking to would benefit by learning about other people's traditions.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:
The Silver Banana wrote:And now, a word from a Joo:

Welcome to the board. It was interesting to hear your point of view on this subject. I think you are right..There are alot of people who act all PC and insist on saying "happy Holidays" but they don't really know anything about the other holidays people celebrate besides Christmas, and while they might not be Christians, they are celebrating Christmas..They kinda are being PC for the sake of being PC, and I can see how that can be annoying. But, you know what, don't be sad that you don;t fit into the mold..I mean, technically what I am celebrating this time of year is Yule, or the winter solistice, and not many people know what that is. Maybe those third graders you are talking to would benefit by learning about other people's traditions.

Yeah, see? I didn't even know you could celebrate that! (What is it, the night of the 21st? I'm curious now.)

I guess I should be honored if anyone feels the need to ask me about what Hannukah is, or is not, or if they're supposed to be consistent in spelling it. It's better than having them say "Happy Holidays", followed by a 'that outta do it' smile. I know they're not interested and they don't have to be, but you could easily fake it by asking "So... celebrating something?"

Edit: So this is what it feels like to be the @$$hole who hasn't heard of the other person's holiday... interesting.

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:53 pm

The "War on Christmas" is a strawman promoted by religious ideologues who are just trying to win sympathy by pretending to be a victim.
In reality "The Holidays" is just a good business move. If I'm a nationwide retailer looking to maximize my business during the most splurge-tastic time of the year, why wouldn't I use language that would appeal to the largest possible amount of consumers? It's not about being sensitive to somebody's feelings. Who gives a sh*t about that? It's about including as many wallets as I can.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”