A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1

WikiLeaks Thread; Espionage in US; Rape in Sweeden

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 am

Found this in The Washington Post.

The Espionage Act is from 1917, about 93 years ago :o

I like this paragraph from the story:

"Former prosecutors cautioned that prosecutions involving leaked classified information are difficult because the Espionage Act is a 1917 statute that preceded Supreme Court cases that expanded First Amendment protections. The government also would have to persuade another country to turn over Assange, who is outside the United States."

"Assange" is the WikiLeaks founder.

Here's the story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 0112906806

=========================
=========================

Edit: And now, Assange, must appear before a magistrate in Stockholm to answer accusations of rape and sexual harassment brought by two Swedish women :shock:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rc=nl_most
Last edited by zzyzx 1 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mo303564

Re: WikiLeaks founder could be charged under Espionage Act

Postby mo303564 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 am

First off...Key word is "could". Doesn't mean he will. For obviously a few reasons.

A) Currently he is in another country (Somewhere in Europe I think) and so they would have to excadite him to the US.

B) He has a good case with the first ammendment rights. He did nothing wrong, comes with freedom of speech and of press. He acted on behalf on his own congnence. So the entire process if all to happen would be Supreme Court bound...again! :roll:

Yes, espionage is a crime, but at what cost? He was simply delivering the information from that marine (who btw I can almost guarantee will go before trial and might get a life sentence).

this story is unfolding. It's simply too early to see if the government even wants to get involved in this, especially if all happened off US territory, which is very likely.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:59 am

mo303564 wrote:B) He has a good case with the first ammendment rights. He did nothing wrong, comes with freedom of speech and of press.

Freedom of speech does not extent to the revealing of confidential and sensitive state secrets.

This guy is not only wanted by the US, but Interpol as well for other reasons.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 pm

I don't believe free speech will even exist on the internet within the next 5 years. You piss off the government, you're done.
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm

mo303564 wrote:excadite

extradite
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:09 pm

He strikes me to be doing this sort of thing because he likes feeling like he's some kind of Bond villain. "Look at me, I'm an enemy of the state!" Kind of business. This sort of thing is far more likely to cause wars than to somehow *ahem* 'crush the bastards' as he put it. It makes diplomacy difficult.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:52 pm

He isn't revealing conspiracies. He isn't revealing corruption, not in this current release.
You want to expose a corrupt politician or seven? He did that before, that was fine.
You want to show a sad case of soldiers firing on targets without confirming they were hostile when the ROE clearly calls for it, resulting in a Reuters man's death and his cameraman? Go ahead, though calling your video "Collateral Murder" is f*cking retarded.

You want to do some good, be a Robin Hood? Fine. But what good did it do to release after action reports intended for the military to review, patrol reports, things which have no value at all to the public but a hell of a lot of value to insurgents? It did no good.

This current release did no good either. It just revealed what many suspected, and not some sort of conspiracy or super secret black ops. The biggest revelation was that American forces are responsible for attacks against terrorists in Yemen, which was generally accepted as fact beforehand by most.

So what good has it actually done? None. I have no issue with leaking something useful, something that shows a grave injustice, but releasing sh*t just to do so and potentially throwing a monkey wrench in negotiations and putting lives at risk is one thing only, and it isn't heroic.

If I were in charge, this guy would be tracked down, arrested, and made to divulge the keys that have been given to his bots that scope sh*t out. Take those down, charge him with espionage, and put him away for fifteen years in a federal facility. Let him get f*cked up the ass and after he is out, extradite his bleeding ass to Sweden where he can deal with rape allegations.

And that PFC who leaked it? Treason. No hanging, but give him seven or ten in Leavenworth followed by a dishonorable discharge.

I'll show a little leniency towards the PFC over the D-Bag because the D-Bag has a serious agenda. Plus, he may be a rapist scumbag.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I think all Assange has done is pull back the curtain on the sausage factory of international diplomacy with this one. It's the stuff we all assume is going on behind the scenes laid bare for all to see.

Something about it doesn't really feel like espionage, though. This stuff was confidential but not super secret. And a lot of it cuts through the bullsh*t of international politics and spells out what everyone was pretty sure was the case. China's getting sick of North Korea's sh*t. The US bombing terrorists in Yemen. The Sauds are getting sick of Iran's sh*t. The State Department collecting biometric data on foreign diplomats.

I'd like to say it's probably good that all this came out; clear the air and stuff, but as with pretty much every WikiLeaks release, this additional information really only serves to complicate an already nebulous situation. These WikiLeaks always expose the minute details that most of us lay people don't have the experience or expertise to understand in context. So inevitably, us lay people latch on to juicy sounding bits like "Israel wants to bomb Iran" and "scientists are tweaking climate data" and "US military kills journalists". Without understanding the context of that information, it's easily hijacked by ideologues with an agenda to push.

We know that cows go into one end of the factory and steaks come out the other end. We know that something gross probably happens inside. But most of us really don't want to think about it too much. Here, the wall fell down on one side.

You read it! You can't unread it!
zzyzx 1

Re: WikiLeaks Thread; Espionage in US; Rape in Sweeden

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm

And now, Assange, must appear before a magistrate in Stockholm to answer accusations of rape and sexual harassment brought by two Swedish women :shock:

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I believe the rape thing is a bunch of bull.

If you want someone to go to jail, the first thing you do is get a woman to holler "rape"

It's too obvious. Espionage, sure. Rape? Come on.
Stan and Kyle :)
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Oh no, not Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeden!
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:And now, Assange, must appear before a magistrate in Stockholm to answer accusations of rape and sexual harassment brought by two Swedish women :shock:

This smells really fishy. There are two women from two incidents, but amount of time that passed between the alleged incidents and the filing of a complaint seems kind of suspect.

The suggestion that it's a conspiracy to defame Assange or provide authorities with an excuse to arrest him smells equally bad. It seems to me the WikiLeaks content is enough for that. Whether or not they could get a conviction is another matter. And this country, at least, does an excellent job of vilifying people without accusing them of rape. So a smear campaign seems unnecessarily complicated.

I think this might simply be another Kobe situation.

You read it! You can't unread it!
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:40 am

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm

"WikiLeaks released a dozen new diplomatic cables, its first publication in more than 24 hours, including the details of a NATO defense plan for Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania"

He deserves a bullet in his brain.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”