New Bible edition replaces the words "booty" and "holocaust"

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

New Bible edition replaces the words "booty" and "holocaust"

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 am

Even "cereal" is replaced with "grain". And in Isaiah 7:14, the passage will now say, "The young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall name him Emmanuel," with the words "young woman" replacing the word "virgin". Weird.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41873135/ ... ?gt1=43001
Still the same as it ever was.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: New Bible edition replaces the words "booty" and "holoca

Postby Big-Will » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:00 am

King James must be spinning like a top in his grave (even though this is the Catholic Bible we're talking about here). All that untapped energy...
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:14 am

Big-Will wrote:King James must be spinning like a top in his grave (even though this is the Catholic Bible we're talking about here). All that untapped energy...

Great Oden's Raven! Did someone just make a physics joke? Lolz. In a different time and place, we might be friends. Angel, why not different religions? You see the NY Times article about some voodoo practitioners burning down an apartment?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/nyreg ... doo&st=cse

Perhaps they displeased Satan. What a shame for those who alienate themselves from both God and Satan...
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am

Actually, I don't know how much angel really cares about religion.. I don't see her debate about it, or really do much except post news articles.

That article about Voodoo didn't really say much. Like what kind of evil spirits were they trying to get rid of, and were their beliefs more a mix of Catholcism and African religions or more like Hoodoo, from my understanding more having do to with spells than being a religion in its self. And by the way, it seems from what I have researched, a lot of people who practice Hoodoo are Christian..Dumbass.There are lots of cultures out there that practice some form of magick, so unless you are an ignorant barely literate f*ck tard, only call people Satanists if they identify themselves as Satanists. I for one do not worship the Devil, and I also don't leave the candles and other things I burn for spells and rituals where they are likely to start a fire like the dumbasses in the article. I also don't charge people money for that kind of help, however, the only people I have really helped are people who are my friends, I don't really tell people who don't practice magick much about my beliefs, except on this board, so feel special.

Oh and getting back to the subject of this thread, changing the Bible, just to get new dumbasses to like it more or whatever is fucktarded. I am sure people know the word "booty" didn't always mean "ass".
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 am

Just like "gay" didn't always mean "homosexual," but who'd be caught dead using "gay" the way it used to be - happy. cheerful, joyful? And when was the last time anyone used "gaiety" which is related to "gay"?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 am

It doesn't matter to me if they replace some words. The Bible itself is still just as false as it was before, which in turn is just as false as the 3,000,000 editions that came before it.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Wait a minute, the word "booty" was in the Bible? That's f*cking hilarious! To me that means there are now pirates in the Bible. :lol:

But I see they didn't change the world my friends and I would search for in the Bible during Sunday School: Ass. And that's weird based on the justification for this thesaurus-ification. Nobody in this culture refers to that animal as an ass anymore. The only time I hear that name is in the context of the Nativity or Noah or whatever; I forget due to the decreased importance of that information in my life.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 am

angeldeb82 wrote:Even "cereal" is replaced with "grain". And in Isaiah 7:14, the passage will now say, "The young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall name him Emmanuel," with the words "young woman" replacing the word "virgin". Weird.

So they don't change Emmanuel to Jesus, which would kind of make more sense, but they obscure the whole point of virgin birth by changing it to "young woman."

Why not just translate the whole thing to Ebonics and be done with it?
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 am

Pip Tweek wrote:
angeldeb82 wrote:Even "cereal" is replaced with "grain". And in Isaiah 7:14, the passage will now say, "The young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall name him Emmanuel," with the words "young woman" replacing the word "virgin". Weird.

So they don't change Emmanuel to Jesus, which would kind of make more sense, but they obscure the whole point of virgin birth by changing it to "young woman."

Why not just translate the whole thing to Ebonics and be done with it?

Well, I have to say that "Emmanuel" means "God is with us".
Still the same as it ever was.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 am

Actually, I refer to donkeys as asses. This one time I took a picture of a donkey with my phone..Then sent my best friend a text telling her I was going to send her a picture of a "cute ass", that was hilarious.

I wonder how much time and money is going into re-editting the Bible, and how many poor, starving people could be fed with that money? Whether or not you believe Jesus exists, I think most people have some idea of how he would rather see that money spent.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:23 am

*hee-hee-hee* "booty".
KennyKicksAss

Postby KennyKicksAss » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Big-Will wrote:Just like "gay" didn't always mean "homosexual," but who'd be caught dead using "gay" the way it used to be - happy. cheerful, joyful? And when was the last time anyone used "gaiety" which is related to "gay"?

:lol: In Dublin there's a theatre called the Gaiety, when I was younger I thought it was a place where gay men could be flamboyant without rednecks attacking them...

So Mary's not a virgin anymore? That's kinda cool, I'm sure Joseph appreciates it, and it probably made giving birth easier. But I really don't understand changing "cereal" to "grain"... really, who finds cereal offensive or difficult to understand?
Psycho Mysterion tattoo

Poor Kenny, trapped forever on my back...

Ah, the memories...

Favourite character: Kenny
Favourite episode: Mysterion Rises
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm

KennyKicksAss wrote:But I really don't understand changing "cereal" to "grain"... really, who finds cereal offensive or difficult to understand?

Maybe they're worried people will think the ancients are talking about Cheerios and Corn Flakes. :lol:

(kind of apropos as the term "Froot Loops" best describes some of the content of that book)

You read it! You can't unread it!
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 am

If the Catholic Church is the one creating the rules, then it's hearby blasmany. Because "Virgin" is not supposed to mean "young woman", and the holocaust is of major importance. :evil:

Although, I never understood why 'Booty' was in the bible....if so then carry on :roll:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 am

You know what else is old,and contains a lot of language we use differently now? The works of Shakespear. But, are his plays re edited? No. When you read them in high school and college, and something is written in a way inwhich people do not talk now, the professor explains what it means. So, that makes me think, do the people who are in charge of rewriting the Bible think the people reading it are f*cking stupid? Like too stupid to even understand something as simple as the idea that words change their meanings over time?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”