Truth, Justice, and the World Way

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Truth, Justice, and the World Way

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Superman renounces his U.S. Citizenship to become... a citizen of the world. Which he is anyway, having his Fortress of Solitude elsewhere, but come on! The American Way! Awww!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Zazaban

Re: Truth, Justice, and the World Way

Postby Zazaban » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 pm

...Really? Come on.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:36 am

There ARE other countries besides the U.S you know...
Can't we all just get along?
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 am

well they killed him and then brought him back from the dead. maybe this was just something they had in the weird and wacky idea vault?
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:21 am

bazi42 wrote:well they killed him and then brought him back from the dead. maybe this was just something they had in the weird and wacky idea vault?

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you. Having said that, it still doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but when I think of Superman, I think of American virtue. DC's taking that away from us, and I hate it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go mope for a couple hours. :(
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:56 am

The American Way sure as sh*t doesn't mean what it used to. I'm actually glad to hear this because writers are putting some thought into the belief system of the greatest superhero ever.

Granted, the US is still a better nation than many among the world, but blind patriotism has got to stop. It isn't 1950 anymore or even 1980 anymore. We can't hang on to propaganda in the information age.

Truth and Justice should be ideals the whole world aspires to protecting. Having Superman become a citizen of the world means he is a defender of humanity and not an idealized version of the US that never existed.
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:03 am

Pip Tweek wrote:The American Way sure as sh*t doesn't mean what it used to. I'm actually glad to hear this because writers are putting some thought into the belief system of the greatest superhero ever.

Granted, the US is still a better nation than many among the world, but blind patriotism has got to stop. It isn't 1950 anymore or even 1980 anymore. We can't hang on to propaganda in the information age.

Truth and Justice should be ideals the whole world aspires to protecting. Having Superman become a citizen of the world means he is a defender of humanity and not an idealized version of the US that never existed.

sure it existed. but then they got rid of phone booths, so obviously he needed to go in another direction.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:12 am

bazi42 wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:The American Way sure as sh*t doesn't mean what it used to. I'm actually glad to hear this because writers are putting some thought into the belief system of the greatest superhero ever.

sure it existed. but then they got rid of phone booths, so obviously he needed to go in another direction.

I blame the movie "Phone Booth" for that. Oh, and the invention of smaller cell phones.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:24 pm

You guys are just being silly. Silly, I tell you.

In the modern era, Superman shouldn't need a dual persona anyway. He can still fly around and kick ass as Clark Kent; why does he need the stupid costume with the cape and the S?
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:You guys are just being silly. Silly, I tell you.

In the modern era, Superman shouldn't need a dual persona anyway. He can still fly around and kick ass as Clark Kent; why does he need the stupid costume with the cape and the S?

Because they screwed with it in the late '90s and the comic book fans didn't like it very much. I should know. I was one of them who HATED the change. In other words, the blue tights, red cape, and red S on the chest are iconic on Supes.
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm

speaking of silly silly- did you ever see how that game "hero clix" made superman look? total silly! the way he was posed it looked like his cape was fanned by a fart and his hand looked like he was holding a beer! :lol:
Ernest Hemingway
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon May 02, 2011 4:47 pm

What? How dare Superman acknowledge the existence of other countries! America is the bestest, freest, most awesome motherfucking country in the history of the world of all time no backsies! <assorted ignorant, xenophobic ramblings that would make Sean Hannity blush>

I can't believe Superman bought into the crazy leftist idea that the world doesn't revolve around America.

(ah sarcasm...)

You read it! You can't unread it!
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:What? How dare Superman acknowledge the existence of other countries! America is the bestest, freest, most awesome motherfucking country in the history of the world of all time no backsies! <assorted ignorant, xenophobic ramblings that would make Sean Hannity blush>

I can't believe Superman bought into the crazy leftist idea that the world doesn't revolve around America.

(ah sarcasm...)

You know, sometimes I want to hate you because of the things you say (especially the crack about Columbia debris being strewn about across my home state), but then I remind myself that being able to express differing opinions is part of what makes this country great. Besides, you make me laugh. :lol:
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 pm

GeminiShamrock wrote:You know, sometimes I want to hate you because of the things you say (especially the crack about Columbia debris being strewn about across my home state), but then I remind myself that being able to express differing opinions is part of what makes this country great. Besides, you make me laugh. :lol:

Cheers for fucked up humor. :mrgreen:

You read it! You can't unread it!
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
GeminiShamrock wrote:You know, sometimes I want to hate you because of the things you say (especially the crack about Columbia debris being strewn about across my home state), but then I remind myself that being able to express differing opinions is part of what makes this country great. Besides, you make me laugh. :lol:

Cheers for fucked up humor. :mrgreen:

Amen to that, brother. Amen! 8)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”