Lack of Laughs

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

nonconformist112

Lack of Laughs

Postby nonconformist112 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Whenever i text someone, they usually reply by saying "lol". It's obvious they are not laughing out loud. In fact, i just told my friend that my math teacher looks like a pirate and all i got was a lol. How ironic. Anyway, it should stand for lack of laughs because the other person doesn't give a rat's ass about what you just said.
I'm such a nonconformist, I'm not gonna conform with the rest of you
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Lack of Laughs

Postby Big-Will » Sat May 07, 2011 5:39 pm

lol

...means "I found it mildly amusing, but nothing to brag about"

LOL on the other hand...
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nonconformist112

Postby nonconformist112 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:48 pm

frequent lol users are deuces. frequent LOL users are giant deuces.
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:10 pm

so do you only believe the person is laughing when they reply ROFLMAO?
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat May 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Or just when they text back ROFLMFAO?

Disclaimer: I've never found anything so funny that I end up on the floor laughing. Or maybe I'm just not prone to doing that. Laughing out loud is something I have done from time to time, but not in a crowd. See: Token laughing at Tyler Perry's jokes.

VACOOLA

Re: ~lol~

Postby VACOOLA » Sat May 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Well, I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. It's no secret that "lol" actually stands for a tiny little dude drowning in piss. At least that's what they say. But in reality I think it all depends on your own perspective. The poor bastard might as well be drowning in sh*t, in blood, in hydrochloric acid, or - what the hell! - in some sort of expensive booze. Just look at him a bit more closely: ~lol~ and let him drown in peace…
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:57 pm

I only use lol in texts (along with haha) for something that I find funny and makes me smile. Or to let someone know I'm joking. I do actually laugh out loud, but it's rare.
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 pm

when something really amuses me, i use *laugh*

it's a total PITA to text, but until i can convince my phone that =) isn't a misspelling, it'll have to do.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Oh, you nonconformist, you.

Anyway, when I admit something is funny, I do use lol or LOL. But when I'm in a chatroom and I'm talking over the mic, I just laugh, and I have a very jolly laugh, or so I've been told.

One more thing: There's a smiley on here called "lol" and I usually use that on here. :lol:
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
nonconformist112

Postby nonconformist112 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm just not a big fan of texting. I think it's making teenagers illiterate idiots. I will admit that i text, but not that often. It gets old and annoying. I especially hate it when people use texting language when they're talking. A lot of kids i know can't write a 3 page short story, but they can generate over 1,000 texts a week.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat May 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Well, texting was made to send short, quick messages letting people know where you are, when you'll get home, etc., but I see texting has taken to imitating online chatting. A lot of the language of texting comes from chatrooms. LOL, lmao, etc,. all that I learned when I was on this site's former chatroom, #sps.

Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat May 07, 2011 11:30 pm

I tend to think of 'lol' as the person appreciates the humor of whatever the situation is. They're probably not "laughing out loud," but probably smiling and just acknowledging the humor.

I hope the appeal of texting dies out soon like the "in public waiting in line "I have a cellphone" thing almost has.
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:I hope the appeal of texting dies out soon like the "in public waiting in line "I have a cellphone" thing almost has.

Thanks to smartphones and iPads now, I don't think that phase will ever really die down. I see them more than ever.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 am

Lack of laughs? What are you talking about? Have you stepped outside ever? The world outside is a laugh riot! As for complaints on texting, remember that throughout history there have been idiots. There always will be. I don't know whether or not texting makes teens "illiterate", but I text pretty regularly, and I can spell phine. :)
Can't we all just get along?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun May 08, 2011 6:39 am

I use "lol" and "giggle" both interchangeably up and down the scale from "found that amusing" to actually laughing out loud, to laughing so hard my head hurts. I rarely "fall out" laughing, but it has happened before.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”