Sarah Palin talks about Paul Revere’s ride

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

NeuroHeart

Re: Sarah Palin talks about Paul Revere’s ride

Postby NeuroHeart » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 am

Unassumption wrote:EDIT: OH you're pissed at the "gun rights" before the constitution while being invaded bit? That's bad but i stand by saying she's said worse on US history :I

No. Well, I'm not necessarily pissed off about that part. There actually was a point where the Redcoats were, more or less, told they wouldn't be taking away the arms of the colonists or the militia. What became the first skirmishes of the revolution started because there were soldiers sent to take possession of an armory in Concord, and if possible arrest Sam Adams and John Hancock, in the hope that depriving the colonists of weapons and leadership would quell the potential brewing rebellion. They were driven back and the minutemen retained their arms. However, this had nothing to do with Paul Revere's midnight ride, which took place a good time later, after revolution had actually been declared, which it hadn't been at the time of Lexington and Concord. Revere warned a population center that an attack was imminent. He did so in a rather quiet manner; there were not bells or 'warning shots,' likely wasn't even the iconic cry of "The British are coming!" It was very likely more along the lines of knocking on doors and telling people to prepare for battle. Nothing there sent a 'warning' to the British that they "weren't gonna be takin our arms."
Yammering about the right to bear arms gets a little old, but it's fine if that's what you really want to talk about. Taking an iconic moment from American history and making it about something it had nothing to do with, though? Yeah, that's offensive. It would be as though someone talked about the beheading of King Charles like it was all about, I dunno, birth control or something. If you have an agenda to feed, at least feed it with something relating to it.
On that note, I've clearly read enough of my history book for today. Sorry for the exhausted-brain ramble.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
bazi42

Postby bazi42 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:51 pm

all i'm sayin is this- we should have known something was terribly wrong with this person when they said they could see russia from their backyard.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 pm

By the way, a bit of actual history for you: Not only was Paul Revere not the only rider that warned people that day, he also managed to get himself caught by the British.

In short, Paul Revere is overrated.

Also, Sarah Palin is just...-_-
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:50 pm

I wonder if all the people who want to vote for her know this is a blunder or not? it's at least 1% of Americans, unsure if that's scarier than a woman running for office knowing so little, or seeming to. Thanks for the history lesson I didn't even know this was post-concord, makes sense he'd want to keep hush.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Wii fit man wrote:By the way, a bit of actual history for you: Not only was Paul Revere not the only rider that warned people that day, he also managed to get himself caught by the British.

Very true. Revere pretty much had a really good publicist and happened to be riding in Boston, the hotseat of the revolution. He also did some other stuff, with the engravings and printing press, but that's not what he's most famous for. (His engravings were semi-accurate propaganda, but hey, these guys were trying to start a war, of course they went for sensationalism.)
None of that excuses an American citizen not knowing a thing about him or his ride, especially one who still seems to have aspirations to the Oval Office and doing this whole propagandist 'One Nation' tour. :stanpuke:
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Wii fit man wrote:By the way, a bit of actual history for you: Not only was Paul Revere not the only rider that warned people that day, he also managed to get himself caught by the British.

Also, Sarah Palin is just...-_-

One if by land, two if by sea. It's not that complicated Palin! Jesus, you'd think she'd at least have sense to f*cking check all her info before she says it! I just...no...I don't even want to THINK about the possibility of her getting elected.
Can't we all just get along?
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:19 pm

She's a good lesson to those of us who didn't know I guess - some good comes from anything, an equal but opposite reaction to her stupidity :)
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Perhaps she should have watched that Porky Pig cartoon, "Old Glory" (Made on July 1, 1939) to know about the American Revolution and Paul Revere. (NOTE: This cartoon did not yet have Hawaii (Obama's birthplace) or Alaska (Sarah Palin's birthplace) as part of the United States until 1959, and "under God" was not in the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkBu-mqi-c
Still the same as it ever was.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 am

Excellent Porky Pig cartoon, angeldeb82 :)

It really does tell the story of the founding of America in 9 minutes! Paul Revere comes in after 3 minutes or so if anyone wants to know where Paul Revere is in the cartoon :)

Thanks for this great link! I bookmarked it.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 am

Love all the folk saying hawaii wasn't a state when he was born or whatever so he isn't a real president, when her state wasn't either if she was a little older. Can you say irony?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 am

Unassumption wrote:Love all the folk saying hawaii wasn't a state when he was born or whatever so he isn't a real president, when her state wasn't either if she was a little older. Can you say irony?

That is a truism :wink:

Indeed :)
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:34 am

Unassumption wrote:Love all the folk saying hawaii wasn't a state when he was born or whatever so he isn't a real president, when her state wasn't either if she was a little older. Can you say irony?

And, Hawai'i was a state in 1962, so it's a moot point to begin with.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:Excellent Porky Pig cartoon, angeldeb82 :)

It really does tell the story of the founding of America in 9 minutes! Paul Revere comes in after 3 minutes or so if anyone wants to know where Paul Revere is in the cartoon :)

Thanks for this great link! I bookmarked it.

You're welcome. Also, I have this parody poem called "Forgetful Paul Revere" by Shel Silverstein.

Was it two if by land
And one if by sea?
Or one if by land
And none if by sea?
Or none if by land...
Or was it three?
My memory's not
What it used to be,
And it's getting so foggy
I can hardly see,
And this hard, cold saddle
Is killin' me--
Oh, what a ride
This is gonna be.

:cartmanlaugh:
Still the same as it ever was.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Palin should call her bus tour thingy "Sarah Jaywalking America" because this is exactly the kind of cliff notes, sorority girl, Bill & Ted version of history I'd expect out of her and her target demographic.
(Her target demographic, of course, being old white guys who want to fuck her. I'm sorry that it is sexist, but if she was not attractive, she'd still be City Councilwomen Palin of Wasilla, AK.)

You read it! You can't unread it!
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Aaaaaand, now experts are saying her account was historically accurate.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”