Apparently, Germans REALLY Aren't Funny...

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Apparently, Germans REALLY Aren't Funny...

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:59 pm

TwistedMetal2012

Re: Apparently, Germans REALLY Aren't Funny...

Postby TwistedMetal2012 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm

i agree
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 pm

A classic German joke I read on here years ago:

How many Germans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 pm

If China were allowed to vote in this poll they'd be the funniest nation on Earth. Antijokes FTW btw.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Wonder where Canada ranked on this?
Can't we all just get along?
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

I wonder where the United States rank on this :roll: :|

Germans: They aren't really funny, but they take our jokes in stride. I met a lot of them. Very nice people actually.

As for who could be the most funniest people....be shocked, but my vote is for the French :shock:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 am

Do I think we're the funniest country on Earth? Uh, yeah! Hell, we gave birth to South Park. (I wish we had a better representation of us than Jon Stewart. I don't think he's that funny.)

Also, inb4Funnybotisreal! RUN! :lol:
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 am

I just find it funny that this study comes just a few weeks after the episode 'Funnybot' aired.

But I couldn't care less what this "study" says. America was probably ranked the funniest country in the world because the vast majority of its population is utterly stupid and make huge asses of themselves.

Sorry, but the funniest people in the world who actually TRY to be funny are the British. American humor doesn't even come close. I wouldn't be surprised if more than 90% of the "30,000" people who participated in this poll were Americans.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 am

It's not a study it's a survey - most of the correspondents being American and fed on the stereotype that Germans don't have a good sense of humour. Countries can't be humorous individuals are, some funny people in the UK and US. In recent years the US has had funnier shows than the UK I say, but maybe it's because comedy is subjective, maybe it's the bigger population like the votes in the survey were.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:25 am

Uh, dude, we gave the world South Park, Ugly Americans, RENO 911!, Cheers, Seinfeld (depending on your tastes. Plus, the series finale sucked ass.), etc., etc.

Still, the British should be at least in the Top 2. I mean we got Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, and Blackadder from them. Also, I rather enjoy That Mitchell and Webb Look and Peep Show, both by David Mitchell and Robert Webb.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:42 am

Didn't know they heard of Blackadder in the US. Should try Red Dwarf too. We haven't been that productive the last 10 years though.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am

Unassumption wrote:Didn't know they heard of Blackadder in the US. Should try Red Dwarf too. We haven't been that productive the last 10 years though.

Oh, yeah. Some of us have heard of British TV via PBS. Hell, that's how I first heard of Doctor Who. (The "original" series.) Thank you, local PBS station!

And don't get me started on Red Dwarf. (Of course, I only saw a few episodes from the first and second seasons.) Here's an idea for Comedy Central: Bring back Monty Python and get Red Dwarf!
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:19 am

When it comes to "funny", it's hard to top this guy...

Rowan Atkinson is fucking hilarious. It doesn't matter what he does. I laugh when I do so much as just look at him.
dvda92

Postby dvda92 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 am

I, living in Germany don't fully agree. With that I mean to say I do agree about it with enough people, but it also depends on where in Germany and generalizations are questionable.

Since this is a just a survey, it's not really having to mean anything. It's just the opinion on countries, and I guess it was taken in the US. Do US people really know Germany? If, then people allover the world should be asked, and really those who actually deal with those things and not just random people.

But yeah, as I said I agree with some parts. For example, after Funnybot aired, the Germans started complaining "We aren't unfunny" "I like German comedians, and I don't know American ones even" on the German forum section. A few people maybe liked that episode, but most comments were just ... complaints. They didn't shut up about it until I posted what I think about them complaining: That just proves that they are not funny and can't take a joke and got to chill down.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Do US people really know Germany?

Yes. Many of us are actually German immigrants or children of German immigrants. At least in my part of the country.

And according to the article "30,000 people across 15 countries voted in the poll, creating a primer, of sorts, for where travelers should go to find people to make them laugh."

So yes, people all over the world were asked this, not just in the US.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”