Same Sex Bill in New York

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Barack_Obama wrote:It's coming whether you like it or not, in the words of my state's Lt. Governor.

Image Oh, Jesus Christ.
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 am

They're still deadlocked. One argument from the con side is that they want to "protect the sancity of marriage". Right, and while they say that, the divorce rate is getting ever higher...
Can't we all just get along?
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 am

"Sanctity." Pfft, right.
Once marriage became a legal institution, it stepped outside the strict realm of religion. There must be some serious logical fallacies and partitioning going on for anyone to be able to say it's a religious matter. It isn't, it's a legal one. The church doesn't get a say in how fast I can drive or what bankruptcy requirements are, they shouldn't get any say in this, either.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Barack_Obama
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Barack_Obama » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 am

That is always the argument. It will pass in a proposition if it fails here. The polls all over are in favor of it now. California looks to be going this way in the courts, again. It was first made legal with courts, then prop 8 came along. Now, the courts said no, that is illegal, you can't take rights away with voting.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am

The issue with religous people and conservatives is that they THINK they represent the true America and that they're what define the country. However, the country is changing, and what we once valued is now seen differently. Some people see liberals v. conservatives to be class conflict. I see it more as a a generation gap, the older generation defending the old values, and the younger generation supporiting equality and tolerance. This conflict will never be resolved because it's what has defined us as a nation. We have always had these types of conflicts, and in the end, the old is usually tossed out for the new.
Can't we all just get along?
bazi42
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 am

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby bazi42 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:54 am

NeuroHeart wrote:The church doesn't get a say in how fast I can drive or what bankruptcy requirements are, they shouldn't get any say in this, either.



they might have a say in the speed limit thing. most churches i've driven by have that 5 MPH thing by their parking lot. :lol:

and don't tempt them. some of those extremists are crazy enough to try.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
mo303564
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby mo303564 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am

f*ck This country!! It's gonna pass!! Maybe not tonight but in the next 5-10 years for ALL Americans.

2 reasons:

It goes against the morals of "Seperation of Church and State" I.e. If the state and the elected officials and the 'people' of that state want something. The Churches have no right to interfeere with their rights.

Secondly, Some blantant gaywad will go to the U.S. Supreme Court saying that their right to not legalize marry is violation of the First Ammendment Rights. It might be hard to pass it there (specially with a conservative court) but whatever, I don't care anymore! Let the queers have their way.

:gaykenny: You can put a pic of Terrance and Phillip here too. :P :o
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 am

State senate is one vote shy.

I'll tell you the results tomorrow, night peeps.
Can't we all just get along?
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:25 am

bazi42 wrote:
NeuroHeart wrote:The church doesn't get a say in how fast I can drive or what bankruptcy requirements are, they shouldn't get any say in this, either.


they might have a say in the speed limit thing. most churches i've driven by have that 5 MPH thing by their parking lot. :lol:

Heh. Yeah, that's a private property issue; you can determine how fast you want people driving on your own land, just not outside it. I'm sure they'd love to dictate speed limits everywhere, but fortunately they don't get to. So it should be with this.
mo303564 wrote:It goes against the ... "Separation of Church and State" ... Churches have no right to interfere with their rights.

Right on.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Unassumption
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:19 am

Same arguments were made against race mixing, except 'they might have children' (bad in that case) is now 'they won't have children' (bad in this case)

We should stop acting like there's a logical argument here, some people find X disgusting so they want to ban it. Words are all we got but I doubt they're effective.

Once marriage became a legal institution, it stepped outside the strict realm of religion

No one arrests priests for conducting gay marriages where they're illegal, and if it was legal no one would be forced to conduct them at gunpoint. The debate has nothing to do with churches, as if the law could make it sacred to god (or stop it being sacred if god thought it was) no it's about a contract between the couple and the state do they get the same benefits from the state for being a couple as strait people?

If those benefits depended on having or raising kids then there might be something to it but they don't.

The only time i can see separation of church and state coming into it is if politicians push religious arguments against it.

Oh and nice pic Niels. *pees on UK con sign for their past opposition to gay marriage*
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 am

Unassumption wrote:The only time i can see separation of church and state coming into it is if politicians push religious arguments against it.

Um, yeah dude, that's pretty much all they do. It's the only "argument" they have to fall back on, not having any logic to use.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Wii fit man
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 am

mo303564 wrote:f*ck This country!! It's gonna pass!! Maybe not tonight but in the next 5-10 years for ALL Americans.

2 reasons:

It goes against the morals of "Seperation of Church and State" I.e. If the state and the elected officials and the 'people' of that state want something. The Churches have no right to interfeere with their rights.

Secondly, Some blantant gaywad will go to the U.S. Supreme Court saying that their right to not legalize marry is violation of the First Ammendment Rights. It might be hard to pass it there (specially with a conservative court) but whatever, I don't care anymore! Let the queers have their way.

:gaykenny: You can put a pic of Terrance and Phillip here too. :P :o


*facepalm*
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Unassumption
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 am


*facepalm*

If you read the post closely he's agreeing the seperation of church and state supports gay maraige...though I'm unsure if he believes 1st amendment supports seperation... no need to facepalm if he's not opposing it, apathy is the way we can win this thing, all it takes for queermos to win is for conservatives to do nothing :timmy:
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Tweeks_Coffee
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:14 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:19 am

NeuroHeart wrote:"Sanctity." Pfft, right.
Once marriage became a legal institution, it stepped outside the strict realm of religion. There must be some serious logical fallacies and partitioning going on for anyone to be able to say it's a religious matter. It isn't, it's a legal one. The church doesn't get a say in how fast I can drive or what bankruptcy requirements are, they shouldn't get any say in this, either.


This is true, they let that go as soon as the government got involved.

However, what's really amusing is that marriage was a government contract before it was a religious sacrament. So in fact, the religious folks battling to "protect" marriage are the ones trying to change it.
Image
Barack_Obama
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Barack_Obama » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 am

HOLY CRAP IT'S YOU!

Not like you would remember me, I didn't talk much when you were on regularly.

I'm gtaca2005, btw. Can't access my old account.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests