Don't you hate it when...

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Unassumption

Re: Don't you hate it when...

Postby Unassumption » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Don't you hate it when you have a gap between 2 things you have to do somewhere, that's too short to justify going home, but too long to just sit and wait?

Don't you hate it when people think you oppose a position you support, because you offer constructive criticism of it? When not totally agreeing with someone is seen as total disagreement? When people make an argument you know (or hope) they don't even believe, but as it's directed at you feel compelled to respond anyway? When something is so obvious that you can't explain why it's obvious.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 pm

I hate it when my apartment struggles to stay warm on particularly cold days/nights due to its laughable inefficiency. Hey 40-year old building, it's called "insulation"; look it up.

(edit)

I also hate it when I fuck up "it's" vs. "its". When does that ever stop?

You read it! You can't unread it!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 am

Don't you hate it when you have no control of the shower volume even though there's a temperature dial, it's either scalding or freezing and changes on it's own whims.

Don't you hate it when some of your body is freezing and other parts boiling and you can only change the temp of your body as a whole!

Don't you hate it when people actually care what spelling you use when they can understand what your saying, it's as absurd as caring what accent you use (the english way of saying aluminium or the American way, only one is "correct," gimme a break man!)
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:55 am

No, it's not as absurd as caring about what accent someone uses, because there can be correct spelling and incorrect spelling. There can't be one correct accent and one incorrect accent.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:18 am

there can be correct spelling and incorrect spelling. There can't be one correct accent and one incorrect accent.

My point was, that making one spelling 'correct' is as abitrary as making one accent abitrary. There is no better reason to make one spelling correct than to make an accent correct, as long as it's meaning is clear from context. Some spelling rules need to be there, but not the stuff people commonly bitch about, just as there should probably be rules for accents. In that vein...

Don't you hate it when you can't understand someone's accent? But feel it's too rude to ask 'what did you just say.'
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:15 am

Unassumption wrote:
there can be correct spelling and incorrect spelling. There can't be one correct accent and one incorrect accent.

My point was, that making one spelling 'correct' is as abitrary as making one accent abitrary.

I assume you mean "making one accent correct."

Yes, it's arbitrary...but the fact remains that millions of people have agreed upon a set of rules for correct spelling. Millions of people HAVEN'T agreed upon a set of rules for correct/official accents.

In either case, there is nothing wrong with spelling something wrong if you think you've spelled it right IMO. That's just harmless ignorance.

Although good spelling IS important, and if you don't think so, please write out a poorly spelled CV/cover letter and see how many jobs you land.

Unassumption wrote:There is no better reason to make one spelling correct than to make an accent correct, as long as it's meaning is clear from context. Some spelling rules need to be there, but not the stuff people commonly bitch about, just as there should probably be rules for accents. In that vein...

Yes, there is a reason to make one spelling correct, because it's a good litmus test for our sense of character/personality. It's almost like a social etiquette.

Someone who spells well has a respect for the rules of English. Someone who doesn't spell well could indicate a lack of respect or a laziness to obey the rules, and maybe even rules in other respects. Superficial as those generalizations may be, this is what most employers think when they read a horribly spelled job application.

If you don't care about what you're writing/presenting to your reader, then depending on how formal the medium is, the reader won't care.

This is why all novels are spelled correctly. If JK Rowling misspelled every word in the first Harry Potter manuscript she sent to her publisher, that series would have never seen the light of day.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:06 am

Although good spelling IS important, and if you don't think so, please write out a poorly spelled CV/cover letter and see how many jobs you land.

I hate it when people use my own logic against me :I
I hope you get that was the point I was making on the sport thread. I get you think we shouldn't pay that much attention to sport, as I think we shouldn't pay that much attention to spelling. I do hate it when the media plays the same story over and over again (ignoring other important stories) especially when it's an "only important because people think it's important (possibly because it's played so many times)" story.

English has no real rules, i hate it when they teach kids it has them then throw in about as many 'exceptions' as fit the rules.

If you can listen to a speech a scottish person gives in their accent, you can read a book they write in phonetic scottish accent.

People use it as a litmus test but shouldn't, as it's as pointless as judging someone to be worthy of a job by weather they know about or like sport, which I'm sure a lot of idiots do (they sure vote on sh*t like that). I hate it when people judge others on meaningless grounds, then act like the grounds are meaningful because they judge on those grounds. I hate how things can become truely important because people treat them that way, even though by themselves they're not.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 am

Yep, I've just realized we pretty much just reversed our argumentative roles from the sports thread. sh*t.

Let's just agree that caring about spelling is lame and sports are lame.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 am

Don't you hate how you look in the morning? Like all the fat from your stomack has somehow transfered to your face. When I woke up today I looked like Bud Spencer.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Don't you hate it when you oversleep, or go for a quick nap and end up sleeping a longer time than you thought you would?

Let's just agree that caring about spelling is lame and sports are lame.

Let's agree to...not disagree? Mkkay :P
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am

Don't you hate it when you try your very best on something and still fail at it?
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:28 am

Don't you hate it when you check the clock and more time's passed than you thought?

Don't you hate it when you go to bed when it's quiet, and people start making loud noises right then?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 pm

... you're in the cold and the moisture from your breath condeses on your nose?
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:30 pm

You have to carry something in each hand, so can't put them in your pocket, when it's so cold you can't feel your fingers? Hell don't you hate it when that last part happens? Don't you hate when the weather changes while your out? Don't you hate when you go somewhere a while aways like the store, but forgot something you need like your money, and have to do it all over again?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:26 pm

I absolutely hate it when a package of something says "tear here to open" and then when I tear to open, it totally fucks up by either:
a. tearing off without actually opening the package or
b. tearing off the resealing ziploc thingy.

Why tease us with this technology if it doesn't work half the fucking time?

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”