Climate change skeptics are as bad as racists...says Gore

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Metathiax

Climate change skeptics are as bad as racists...says Gore

Postby Metathiax » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:33 am

Well, Matt and Trey. if you don't believe in global warming, you're both as bad as racists, you racist planet-killing motherf*ckers. Drive your fancy SUVs. Mother Gaia will have the last laugh!

“I remember, again going back to my early years in the South, when the Civil Rights revolution was unfolding, there were two things that really made an impression on me,” Gore said. “My generation watched Bull Connor turning the hose on civil rights demonstrators and we went, ‘Whoa! How gross and evil is that?’ My generation asked old people, ‘Explain to me again why it is okay to discriminate against people because their skin color is different?’ And when they couldn’t really answer that question with integrity, the change really started.”

The former vice president recalled how society succeeded in marginalizing racists and said climate change skeptics must be defeated in the same manner.

“Secondly, back to this phrase ‘win the conversation,’” he continued. “There came a time when friends or people you work with or people you were in clubs with — you’re much younger than me so you didn’t have to go through this personally — but there came a time when racist comments would come up in the course of the conversation and in years past they were just natural. Then there came a time when people would say, ‘Hey, man why do you talk that way, I mean that is wrong. I don’t go for that so don’t talk that way around me. I just don’t believe that.’ That happened in millions of conversations and slowly the conversation was won.”

“We have to win the conversation on climate,” Gore added.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/28/gore- ... s-racists/

*In the case it wasn't obvious, this entire post was done in jest. I've been a fan of South Park since its premiere (I was 9 at the time) and look forward to the new season.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Climate change skeptics are as bad as racists...says Gor

Postby Big-Will » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 am

Looks like Super-Gore will have to come back... to South Park.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 am

And Al Gore's an attention-seeking pile of fecal matter using this whole "climate change" debate to become a billionaire. Anything he says about this and other subjects is pretty much noise to me at this point.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 am

Does anyone in this thread actually believe the experts, or are you all retarded like M&T on this issue?

Saying nothing of Al Gore, just climate change. Do you or do you not believe the scientists?
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 am

I'm neutral on the matter (since there are experts on both sides of the issue), and this is an Al Gore thread, not a climate-change thread.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 am

Barack_Obama wrote:Does anyone in this thread actually believe the experts, or are you all retarded like M&T on this issue?

Saying nothing of Al Gore, just climate change. Do you or do you not believe the scientists?

You know I'm a pretty hardcore liberal.

Having said that, fuck Al Gore.

Straight to the point. I believe in climate change. What I don't believe is that humans are the primary or leading cause of it. There's the possibility that usage of gas-powered vehicles may contribute to it, but let's not forget that the Earth's climate goes in cycles. It went from volcanic rock, ash, and lava to land and water with vegetation and diverse life forms long before humans or their "pollutants" ever existed. I hear about localized "heat records" getting smashed all over the world, but there's still tons of places that still hold onto their own records since the 1920s, for example. Most heat records today were set either in the 1910s-1920s or the 2000s to today, with a few in the '70s.

I'm not against people lowering their "carbon footprint". Just don't shove that crap on me. Both my cars are around 40 years old, never have to be smogged, and release plenty of that toxic yet enticing and alluring scent of exhaust, and I plan on driving them until I die. I like the luminescence of an incandescent light over fluorescent or LED ones, plus the heat they give off, and plan on using them until there's none left. You get my drift.
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 am

Well, plain and simple, you are wrong. Sorry dude. Really, you are regurgitating the sh*t the GOP says. Don't become this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-drEG7wms

And just for an idea of how big our impact can be on the "giant planet", watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74mhQyuyELQ

The scientists disagree with all of you in this thread.

And for anyone that thinks there are experts on both sides, just watch this dude's YT channel.:

http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54

Before you think LOL SOME GUY ON YT LOLOLOL, he worked in media as a correspondent to many outlets on matters on science. You may think even that isn't enough to really mean anything, but then realize your "experts" are likely meteorologists and not climatologists.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 am

Racism can't destroy the planet, ergo climate change deniers are worse than racists; a matter of ignorance rather than malice in most cases, but doesn't diminish the harm done.

Focus on Al Gore, ignore every climatologist in the world. Talk about how a few professors are pushing this for some imaginary money, while ignoring the very real money interest of those who fight against it.

Does anyone in this thread actually believe the experts, or are you all retarded like M&T on this issue?

Some people here seem to think that it's blasphemy to differ in opinion from the show or it's creators, just like the guys who say a 'true fan' would never admit the show has ever had a bad episode. Glad I'm just a guy who enjoys the show now, not a religious follower of it.

there are experts on both side

There were experts who claimed Tobacco doesn't cause cancer. Hell the HIV deniers and creationists have a few biologists on their side. False equivalence is a bitch. If you don't know much about an issue, it's best to go with the consensus of those that do, not to be 'neutral,'the golden mean is a fallacy for a reason. Who defines the extremes neutrality lies between anyway? It's no better than teach the controversy.

there's still tons of places that still hold onto their own records since the 1920s

That's the same as saying it snowed in one place so global warming is false, the planet as a whole can warm up while some regions don't warm as fast.

I like the luminescence of an incandescent light over fluorescent or LED ones

Some people like beating strangers up or raping kids, doesn't mean they should be legal just because people like them. "I like it" is not a reason for it to be legal, if it causes others harm. I like incandescent lights too but that doesn't mean that my presences should determine the law.

I'm not against people lowering their "carbon footprint". Just don't shove that crap on me.

I'm not against that paying their taxes sh*t but don't force that on me! Some things wouldn't work unless they're forced on everyone.

Humans may be small but so is the Earth. We can't damage the rock beneath, but we can sure impact the thin layer of atmosphere - bacteria completely changed the oxygen content of the atmosphere turning the world form a reducing to an oxidising one, if they can do that so can we. We deforested the world, expanded the deserts, paved it in ways visible from space, cut a hole in the ozone layer with one of those pollutants you put in quote maks caused mass extinctions, in a few hundred years, I think we're a serious force on this tiny little ball of rock.

Potholer54 debunks anti global warming claims as easy as he does creationists, if we judge a theory by the strength of the arguments against it human caused Global Warming seems pretty solid, and the people arguing against it seem as likely to be far right politicians as reputable scientists in the field of climatology not taking money from industries that would benefit from climate change not being man made.

The following is a summary of the physical evidence for human caused climate change extracted from a 1008 page book by 620 experts

Remember creationists found a few 100 biologists to sign a petition against evolution too.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:35 am

>lol guys how can we possibly have an impact earth is so big XD

Last edited by Barack_Obama on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Unassumption
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 am

Notice that the natural effect has been taken into account.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Barack_Obama wrote:The scientists disagree with all of you in this thread.

And for anyone that thinks there are experts on both sides...

Newsflash:

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=462

Unassumption wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:I like the luminescence of an incandescent light over fluorescent or LED ones

Some people like beating strangers up or raping kids, doesn't mean they should be legal just because people like them. "I like it" is not a reason for it to be legal, if it causes others harm. I like incandescent lights too but that doesn't mean that my presences should determine the law.
[/quote]

I am NOT going to bother responding to anything else you addressed after having read a comment like that. That is seriously the single most stupid comparison I have ever seen anyone make in my life. For that reason, I'm not going to bother going into too much detail.

Incandescent lights also give off heat, and lowers the need for external appliances which require much more energy from power sources to generate their own heat. It also doesn't trigger light headaches in susceptible people like LEDs can. So tell me, does the good REALLY outweigh the bad? Fact is, you don't know for sure, so don't pretend like you do.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:13 pm

While It's an extreme example, if your "I like it so it should be legal weather it hurts other people or not" logic would apply just as well to rape as incandescent bulbs. I could compare it to companies dumping toxic waste in the water supply or doing risky financial stuff if you would prefer? I was just using an extreme example to point out how ludicrous that logic is - you may have good reasons to support it, but "i don't want that law because I like the thing it bans" isn't one.

Thanks for ignoring my points and focussing on ... not really addressing that one?

As for your pettition, may I direct you to the following?
Funny how different the figure produced by studies that actually check the guys are who they say they are.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Niels, I am sorry, but I lold at that.

The list of scientists includes 9,021 Ph.D.s, 6,961 at the master’s level, 2,240 medical doctors and 12,850 carrying a bachelor of science or equivalent academic degree.

You do realize that this is EXACTLY what the creationists do to evolution? Find people with degrees that allow them to be titled "Dr." and some other people with real science degrees in OTHER FIELDS UNRELATED. Don't fall in that trap, I am sure you didn't fall in it when they pulled this with evolution. It's the same tactic.

And as to Unassumption using hyperbole: it is just something some people do. I am guilty of this, also. Take the most extreme example to drive home the point. It is sometimes, MOST TIMES, uncalled for. But you can't act like it isn't something that is widely done.

- Unassumption
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

This is too good to pass up. The guy who wrote the cover letter to that petition (from the 1990s) you cited?
Denied tobacco caused cancer back in the day. Really trusting something endorsed by that? For real?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 pm

If Al Gore really wants to "change the conversation" about climate change, he should recruit somebody else to be the front man on this issue. Sad to say there are are too many people who deny anthropogenic climate change simply because they hate Al Gore and if Al Gore is for it, they're against it (just like President Obama). They've still got a chip on their shoulder about the 2000 Presidential Election even though they won.

One of my pet peeves came up in this thread; the idea of "Do you believe in climate change?" That's the wrong question to ask as scientific topics are not a matter of belief.
"Do you accept or reject the broad scientific consensus among experts in the field on the anthropogenic contribution to climate change?" is the proper way to phrase the question.

The reality of human-caused climate change is beyond question at this point. Except for the deniers, the real debate is what to do about it. And I think there is an argument out there that the most reasonable course of action is to do nothing. Because the solutions might just be too expensive and require too much sacrifice on the part of the industrialized world to practically implement. So we should just keep going on with life as is until the effects of climate change reduce the population of humans on this planet.

That wouldn't be my position, but I understand if somebody just says, "Fuck it! We're fucked anyway, might as well live it up while we can." At least that's an opinion on what to do and not a denial that a problem even exists.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”