Besides South Park what else do yall watch?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mamont

Re: Besides South Park what else do yall watch?

Postby Mamont » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 am

Mythbusters, The Gadget Show, Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Phineas and Ferb, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends...
But lately I rearly watch TV.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Half In The Bag

Internet shows count? Cinema Snob, SFDebris, Confused Matthew, Spoony experement, Nostalgia Critic, Freeman's Mind, random letsplayers, and a whole lot of vloggers (less than I did) both large and small.

The Young Turks on Current TV and their website mostly. Used to watch Olberman and Maddow a few years back but gave up on MSNBC. Occasionally flick through AP and Al Jazera on youtube but I prefer the entertainment of commentry.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Don't you dare bash 1980s My Little Pony - it had Satan in the first episode, followed by Tina-turner lookalike slaveowning cat lady and dragon attacks! I didn't like the 90s version so much though.
Liked Gummy Bears in 9th grade for some reason, as a kid I was into The Amazing Spider Man and X-men (Somehow missed out on Battman TAS which I bet I'd have loved a LOT more, I recognize the flaws in Spiderman only years later), various hannah babera and loony tunes cartoons (Which I still have 24 hour VHS boxsets of) alongside Tenchi and Pokemon (don't judge :(). Discovered Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents in 11th grade and actually liked them, but Rocko's Modern life, Invader Zim and the Angry Beavers were the best they made.

I can't see Star Trek other than TOS without a rifftrax anymore, despite viewing Voyager and Enterprise with my family as a kid. Dr Who Classic series could be good but I gave up on it after seeing the Baker episodes, too much to get into. Babyolon 5 is the only scifi I stand by today. Well unless you count Red Dwarf! I was a huge Sliders and first wave fan back in the day, my tastes matured a lot (or imatured?).

I absolutely hated Married with Children as a kid, I thought it was blasphemous filth as an obnoxious kid, but rediscovered it last year and love it.

The obnoxious laugh track wasn't on MASH in Europe so I could enjoy that show as a pre-schooler (probably not the best viewing with all it's sex and war but oh well one of the best comedies around). Cheers was slow to start but a great show when Frasier showed up - btw Frasier is worth all the praise it gets, just wish fans would stop pretending it's more than just a (really funny) comedy.

The Boondocks doesn't get enough love. Closest thing to an anime I like other than Welcome to the NHK which I watched while i read the manga of "death note" I liked them the same at the time but have since lost my love for the latter. Was given a disk of all the old Full Metal Alchemist and Monster episodes, great premise on that latter show but the former was better executed, not sure if I still like FMA but Monster was slow pretentious doodie in retrospect.

The net is full of jokes at it's expense but I can't think of a better made show than the Wire, it has "what do you mean it isn't symbolism" and cheesy as cheethos moments but overal deserved the hype.

Dexter I watch but more for train wreck value than anything now, first was great, 4th revitilized my waning interest, but it's become one of the worst made shows (with one of the worst messages) I can think of. Aside from Heroes which was a similar situation.

COPS, forensic detectives, FBI files, etc, were dinner viewing as a kid, it gets a bit samey after a while so I don't watch no more but it beats any fictional crime shows (sans the Wire).

I can't believe American Dad (which I love as much as the best SP) is made by the same guy as Family Guy and the Cleaveland show (both written by manetees IMO). Adult Swim's lineup varies in quality so much, used to love metapocylipse but "morel Orel" is the only show on there I stick by today, though Robot Chicken has it's moments. Never got into Simpsons or Futurama, not my kinda humor I guess. King of the Hill was an awesome show, much better than B and B IMO but almost entirely for Dale.

Seen the occasional Colber and Stewart, I much prefer Colber but haven't seen either enough to call myself a viewer. Mahr is drawing me in i thought he was the unfunny antijoke incarnate but have started to enjoy the antivaccer hippie's ramblings of late.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 pm

BRMBug wrote:
KennyStanWendyFan wrote:My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (don't judge me)

I've seen a few eps. It's okay. It is about 1,000,000,000 times better than the version that was around in the 80's.

I despise the 80's show. Friendship is Magic can be sappy at times (as if the title wasn't any implication), but it's funny, the characters are likable, and the cuteness isn't nauseating. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there's no questioning its vast superiority to all previous incarnations of the franchise. I will say this: the two-part pilot doesn't do the series justice. It's better in retrospect after watching the rest of the series, but the slice-of-life episodes that come later are much better. The two-part second season premiere is also a lot better.

So, are we including our favorite internet shows here too? In that case:

Homestar Runner (back when it still updated)
The Nostalgia Critic
The Angry Video Game Nerd
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series
Naruto: The Abridged Series (again, when it still updated)
Dragon Ball Z: The Abridged Series
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:01 am

AngusMcTavish wrote:Let's see...I think I'll go with a few from each of the categories nyar.

For the live action series:
Doctor Who
Big Bang Theory
Monty Python
Top Gear

Animated:
Batman: TAS
Penguins of Madagascar
Phineas and Ferb
Venture Bros.
Robot Chicken

Sports:
Football
Hockey
Baseball

Felt the need to update.

I got into the BBC version of Top Gear because of some of the places the three guys there go to and what they end up doing. Yes, the cars they show are cool to look at, but their projects can be fun to watch!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

I almost forgot, there's a brit-com I like called Miranda that I've kinda gotten into lately.
Solid Snake1019

Postby Solid Snake1019 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 pm

family guy, WWE (when i can. i have to watch alot of it from youtube), I used to love Monk the last season ended not to long ago, Pawn Stars, Larry the cable guy and Durarara. thats all i can think of at the moment. :?
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Unassumption wrote:The Boondocks doesn't get enough love. Closest thing to an anime I like other than Welcome to the NHK which I watched while i read the manga of "death note" I liked them the same at the time but have since lost my love for the latter. Was given a disk of all the old Full Metal Alchemist and Monster episodes, great premise on that latter show but the former was better executed, not sure if I still like FMA but Monster was slow pretentious doodie in retrospect.

THE BOONDOCKS is good. I own the first three seasons on DVD.

Although I don't watch Adult Swim regularry. Except AQUA TEEN and METALOCALYPSE. Muderface on that show is awesome.

I used to watch THE VENTURE BROS. I miss the characters of Dr. Venture, Brock, Hank, and Dean. Oh and that robot on that show. Reminds of that old cartoon. But only God remembers what it was.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm

BigGuy101 wrote:I used to watch THE VENTURE BROS. I miss the characters of Dr. Venture, Brock, Hank, and Dean. Oh and that robot on that show. Reminds of that old cartoon. But only God remembers what it was.

The robot is named Helper. And the show is a take on the old show "The Adventures of Johnny Quest." Dr. Venture is ostensibly Johnny Quest as an adult and his meager attempts to carry on his father's legacy as an eminent research scientist and explorer. Great show.

Another animated show that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is Archer. Now in it's 3rd season, they are churning out comedy gold. Comedian Jon Benjamin's delivery of his dialogue as the title character is hilarious. And Aisha Tyler is great in her 'straight man' character Lana. It's way more than just a spoof of the spy genre.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

I used to watch Avatar on Nickelodeon untill they started dubbing it in Croatian (really crappy).

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”