The Horror Genre

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

CartmansWhore

The Horror Genre

Postby CartmansWhore » Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Anybody like scary movies? :D
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Unassumption

Re: The Horror Genre

Postby Unassumption » Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Seems like several genres to me. Slasher films, pychological thrillers, supernatural stuff, zombies, gore; all as different from each other as most genres. There are good and bad examples of all kinds of horror. I used to watch cheesy movies but now I just see the cinemasnob riff on them, I haven't seen that kind of horror in a while.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 pm

M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 am

f*ck yeah..I have been a horror fan since I saw King Kong at age 6 or 7. I have horror movie posters on the walls in my apartment, a huge collection of movies on dvd and bluray, and I have been to a few horror conventions..I've even got to meet some of my favorite actors in the genre. I like all kinds of different horror movies..Even ones certain people who fancy themselves movie critics consider cheesy. f*ck their opinions. I also post a certain horror movie related message boards, and I have seen enough diverse opinions about certain films to know no ones opinions are right or wrong.

Anyway, if you are also a fan of Rob Zombie's horror films, you should join his official board. I post over there every day.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 am

BRMBug wrote:http://forums.southparkstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31986

Locked in favor of this new thread.

I like Comedy-Horror. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Not really...but I agree with Will. Comedy Horror is ok.

I like "Scary Movie" and the "Halloween" series.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:23 am

There is nothing wrong with comedy horror..I love Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ( the one from the 80's) it some people criticize it for being a comedy when the original was more serious. I also loved Cabin in the Woods, and there is a lot of humor in that movie too. Actually, a little humor sometimes makes the violence and gore in some movies a little more f*cked up and disturbing.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed May 09, 2012 8:07 pm

I said I like cheesy horror flicks (including TCM2 - my fave in the series) as long as there is a rifftrax or someone with me to laugh at the film with. If you think these films aren't cheesy and are some serious artwork, you don't know what the 'artist' was thinking, they're just a bit of fun usually and should be enjoyed as such.

I think Horror isn't ONE genre. It seems to be several bunged together because it intends to elicit the same response in the audience (or for some other silly reason). The stuff Hitchcock or Romero made is NOT the same as TCM2 or TCM1 even.

I like good work in almost any genre. Including all the "sub" genres of horror. The (Funny) bad stuff is good too UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS. If there's no one to laugh at it with, there isn't much point, make sure you have likeminded friends and booze or something if you want to watch "child's play" let alone "children at play."
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 am

My favorite horrors are:

Saw
Dead Silence
Child's Play
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining
Insidious
Halloween
Identity
etc.

Cabin in the Woods was really great too :D
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:08 am

Just saw Damien, The Omen I the other day; as a non-Christain who doesn't believe in the core beliefs of Christainity, I found the film hilarious and not scary at all.

But, the Amityville Horror - I found that scary and when I was in New York I happened to be near Amityvill and I actually tracked down the house featured in the film :shock:
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Anything with zombies works for me. Hell, if it has "dead" in the title, count me in. Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead (1, 2, 3), Braindead, Dawn of the Dead...

That and Troma.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Big fan of horror video games too - back before they became a sub-genre of action =/

Just saw Damien, The Omen I the other day; as a non-Christain who doesn't believe in the core beliefs of Christainity, I found the film hilarious and not scary at all.

The second film gave me "paradise lost" syndrome - Damien seemed a cool guy, who was being forced to be a dick by everyone arround him. If you're willing to accept a lot of coincidences, it's possible that everything was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Scared by a baby in film 1 was funny - I kept thinking "what if this was real life" (if a guy thought his son was the devil and stabbed it with a knife based on what the dad had seen - a few photos and a priest). Like the exorcist it was kinda scary in that some people do stab their kids over sh*t like that, and the exorcist was based on a true story (Sadly the girl didn't survive). Rosemary's baby was the best 'supernatural thriller' - though even more "probably no magic at all just a crazy old rapist dude who drugged a woman and f*cked her" but it works well even assuming that.

Steven king pisses me off with his insistance of throwing a supernatural 'explanation' (complication) into every perfectly good story. Can't all work and no play have just driven Johny mad, do native american spirits and psychic dudes have to come in? Even Stand by Me had wizards in the original book! Cuju, can't you just have rabies, do you have to be a paralell universe dog with evil cartman's pointy beard? Psychological horror beats the rest.

Anyone like Day of the dead as the best dead film? I hated the 'hero' in night, though he's one of the few horror characters to kill off more allies than the monster! Dawn was a classic but I kept screaming 'GET TO DA CHOPPA!" (i know it's symbolic and sh*t, but when symbolism makes people drop common sense it gets a bit silly, that never really happened in Day).

The remake plague pisses me off but some (like dawn's) have a charm in their own right. I first came to haloween via Rob zombies. It seems the 6th entry in all slasher flicks is the cheesiest! I actually prefer the films when they fall face first into comedy ville - freddy from elm street was never that scary, but he was damn funny in 5 and 6. The "strange" entries in franchise like Haloween 3 and Elm 2 seem like they'd make good stand-alone flicks. I don't like Friday at ALL though, I tried watching a few but it was so copy-paste cash-in.

I like horror to be totally lulzy (weather intentional or not) or totally serious, mixes don't seem to work that well.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 am

Unassumption wrote:Big fan of horror video games too - back before they became a sub-genre of action =/

The second film gave me "paradise lost" syndrome - Damien seemed a cool guy, who was being forced to be a dick by everyone arround him. If you're willing to accept a lot of coincidences, it's possible that everything was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Scared by a baby in film 1 was funny - I kept thinking "what if this was real life" (if a guy thought his son was the devil and stabbed it with a knife based on what the dad had seen - a few photos and a priest). Like the exorcist it was kinda scary in that some people do stab their kids over sh*t like that, and the exorcist was based on a true story (Sadly the girl didn't survive). Rosemary's baby was the best 'supernatural thriller' - though even more "probably no magic at all just a crazy old rapist dude who drugged a woman and f*cked her" but it works well even assuming that.

Steven king pisses me off with his insistance of throwing a supernatural 'explanation' (complication) into every perfectly good story. Can't all work and no play have just driven Johny mad, do native american spirits and psychic dudes have to come in? Even Stand by Me had wizards in the original book! Cuju, can't you just have rabies, do you have to be a paralell universe dog with evil cartman's pointy beard? Psychological horror beats the rest.

Anyone like Day of the dead as the best dead film? I hated the 'hero' in night, though he's one of the few horror characters to kill off more allies than the monster! Dawn was a classic but I kept screaming 'GET TO DA CHOPPA!" (i know it's symbolic and sh*t, but when symbolism makes people drop common sense it gets a bit silly, that never really happened in Day).

The remake plague pisses me off but some (like dawn's) have a charm in their own right. I first came to haloween via Rob zombies. It seems the 6th entry in all slasher flicks is the cheesiest! I actually prefer the films when they fall face first into comedy ville - freddy from elm street was never that scary, but he was damn funny in 5 and 6. The "strange" entries in franchise like Haloween 3 and Elm 2 seem like they'd make good stand-alone flicks. I don't like Friday at ALL though, I tried watching a few but it was so copy-paste cash-in.

I like horror to be totally lulzy (weather intentional or not) or totally serious, mixes don't seem to work that well.

Well, I disliked Rosemary's Baby and found it quite boring.
Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty cool.
Hated Friday the 13th movies, gay as sh*t.
Halloween and Freddy of course are awesome.

The Fourth Kind scared the sh*t out of me & I rank it as one of the top 5 films that frightened me. :)
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 am

I think the Descent is under-rated. Forget the fast zombies, just a bunch of people trapped underground in a cave is scary! I'll be sure to look into 4th kind.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 am

Big-Will wrote:
BRMBug wrote:http://forums.southparkstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31986

Locked in favor of this new thread.

I like Comedy-Horror. :)

lol You, too? Shawn of the Dead is one of my favorites.

unassumption: Psychological and suspense thrillers can sometimes be classified as horror movies, depending on the intentions of the movie. The "I Know What You Did Last Summer" movie series can be classified as such because it has horror movie elements. (It was also marketed as a horror movie.) Stuff like that one Jennifer Lopez movie where she entered the mind of an unconscious serial killer (I believe the dude was in a coma), on the other hand, is just a psychological thriller. You can say the same thing about "Memento".

What I'm saying is this: The classification of a psychological or suspense thriller as a horror movie should be done on a case by case basis. (But that's just my opinion.)
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”