The Horror Genre

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

M00ndragon69

Re: The Horror Genre

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:35 am

UnAssumption..If you actually knew much about Stephen King, you would know that he doesn't just write supernatural horror, sci fi and fantasy ( such as The Eyes of the Dragon and the Dark Tower series) you would know he writes horror that is non supernatural too..For instance Misery..That is a pretty f*cking famous novel and movie. King's work kicks ass, and the things about it that are scary do not come from the fact that he writes about supernatural or non supernatural things. It comes from the fact that he is great at creating characters and you actually care about what happens to them in the story.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, and he's good when he writes that stuff. The majority of his work is forcably shoe-horned into the "world" of his fiction though. Even with human enemies (especially bullies) he finds it hard to give them motivations beyond for the lulz. His strength as you say is is making us care about the characters, but he doesn't play to that strength.

Deamon toys is better than puppet master. FACT!
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri May 11, 2012 5:15 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:UnAssumption..If you actually knew much about Stephen King, you would know that he doesn't just write supernatural horror, sci fi and fantasy ( such as The Eyes of the Dragon and the Dark Tower series) you would know he writes horror that is non supernatural too..For instance Misery..That is a pretty f*cking famous novel and movie. King's work kicks ass, and the things about it that are scary do not come from the fact that he writes about supernatural or non supernatural things. It comes from the fact that he is great at creating characters and you actually care about what happens to them in the story.

Had to read "The Eyes of the Dragon" in high school and hated every second of it. Not a fan, that's an entirely different thread.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 pm

I like how there's not just a film for almost anything you can immagine, but a whole sub-genre. I can't believe they made so many deamonic toys movies - the first one was so bad (in a good way) but they just kept churning them out!

I've never really been scared by a film or felt the need to be, which might explain why I like my horror funny-bad or good in some other way.
Extra Credit's "where did survival horror games go" makes some interesting points that I think go beyond games.

Guinea pig! Cinema snob reviewed the south korean guinea pig :P
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:08 am

Truthfully, how much Stephen King have you read, or are you just copying and pasting what other people say online? Anyway, I like the supernatural stuff, and the way many of his stories connect. I admit I have not read all the Dark Tower books, but I did really like the first four, and I am meaning to get off my ass and read the others. I also saw a rumour on Horror Bid that either HBO or one of the other premium channels might start running a Dark Tower series in a few years..I hope that wasn't just the people at Horror Bid spreading rumours for sh*ts and giggles like they sometimes do, because I would love to see that so much..

I haven't really seen Demonic Toys..And I have only really recently seen Puppet Master after not watching it since I was in 7th grade..I liked it better this, time, because back then, I felt like it was a cheap rip off of Child's Play and back then, Chucky was my favorite horror icon..I still like him, and his wife, but my favorite horror icons are Pinhead and the characters from House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

Anyway, I liked Puppet Master better than I thought I would, and I have also seen a movie called Dolls recently..I saw it on Netflix, and I thought it was pretty cool..I liked how it seemed like a dark fairy tale.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat May 12, 2012 5:12 am

Dolls is awesome! I also love Mommy Dearest. :D I have such a doll obsession.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Milo Vonnegut 3

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:51 pm

I have a small stash of horror movies:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Platinum Dunes)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street (Platinum Dunes)
The Exorcist
Cabin Fever
Session 9
Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween III
Halloween H20
Halloween (Rob Zombie)
Halloween II (Rob Zombie)
The OMEN
Damien: OMEN II
Signs
The Village
Kubrick's The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
Carrie (1976)
Jeepers Creepers
Cannibal Holocaust
I Spit on Your Grave
The Amityville Horror
The Devil's Rejects
The Lords of Salem

Chucky was my favorite horror icon..I still like him, and his wife

I understand he's popular, but truth be told, never cared for Chucky or any Child's Play movie.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”