Hygiene and attraction?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AtheistOtter

Hygiene and attraction?

Postby AtheistOtter » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 am

So yeah, this might be a weird thing to post about, but I wanted to get opinions from a variety of people: a couple days ago, I had some stuff done to my hair, and I was advised not to shower for like a day or two. So, I felt a little sweaty and mildly gross, and my new-ish boyfriend said something about how especially good I smelled and how attractive it was... Is this what I've been missing throughout my dating life? Will skipping more showers make me more attractive? I mean, how does that work? Personal hygiene is attractive, right? Or am I the only one who thinks that? Can anyone shed light on this??
NeuroHeart

Re: Hygiene and attraction?

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 am

AtheistOtter wrote:Personal hygiene is attractive, right? Or am I the only one who thinks that?

Most girls I've met think it's attractive (myself included) but a lot of men don't seem to be as concerned with it. My man has straight up told me that he thinks it's sexy when I go a few days without shaving. There's an equilibrium in there though; out-of-control body hair is unattractive, but a little bit of body hair is super sexy. Same thing with bathing, I think. A week without bathing might be totally unattractive, but a day or two is just enough to build up pheromones or whatever, without smelling all nasty. On the other hand, this is not necessarily true for all men, because it would be too simple if it was.
Sorry, that probably wasn't helpful in terms of whithertos and whyfores, but it's what I've got.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:54 am

I usually shower daily or every other day depending on my schedule, but it's true guys don't care as much about hygiene in general as women do. I think what most people regard as minimum standards of hygiene are greatly exaggerated. I wash my hair once every 2-3 days. Some people may think it's gross, but hairs are fibers, and washing them every day prevents the hair from producing the nutrients it needs to be healthy. My hair is incredibly thick and difficult to tame and keep looking tidy the same day it's washed, so it's usually somewhat messy and disshevelled when it's at its cleanest, regardless of how much I comb it.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 am

I think it depends on who you ask, or who you are talking about..I have noticed, with some people, for whatever reason, it is less obvious when they go without showering..You don't notice some people smelling gross and sweaty after a few days of not showering, but with some people, you definately notice it. I have also noticed that some people really don't care if the person they are dating doesn't shower every single day, but some really do.

Personally, when it come to hygiene, one of the main things I really care about is if the person I am dating brushes their teeth..And doesn't smoke..Making out with someone with nasty breath is disgusting. I am not really attracted to preppies, people who are too concerned with personal hygiene and appearance. But, at the same time, if someone never showers, and wears dirty clothes, and does not put one bit of effort into trying to look good at all, that is not attractive to me either.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 am

He meant your hair. :lol:
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
AtheistOtter

Postby AtheistOtter » Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 am

NeuroHeart wrote:A week without bathing might be totally unattractive, but a day or two is just enough to build up pheromones or whatever, without smelling all nasty.

Hmmm, hadn't thought much about pheromones. I've certainly heard of them, but it's just one of those words that gets thrown around. And usually it's referring to insects or something, not humans.

Well, so I guess it just depends. If showering every other day makes me more attractive, I'll go with it. Struck me as odd, though, and I wondered if it was just this guy.

(ugly)Bob wrote:He meant your hair. :lol:

Haha!

(...Honestly, that would be grosser than thinking my sweat smelled good.)
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am

your guy likes smelly hair, dont judge him.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm with Moondragon on this one. People who pay too much attention to their looks seem self-centered to me. But dental hygiene is vital. Making out with a smoker is like licking an ashtrey. :parishilton: Smokers need to brush more often than non-smokers or at least chew gum.

Personally, I usually shower and shave every other day. I think that's enough. And I hate my smell. Seriously, my sweat has a distinct odor which I can't stand.
In certain circumstances I may shower every day or even two times a day. But, usually, every other day is enough.

And, yes. Feromones play a major role in physical atraction. Even in humans.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu May 31, 2012 8:20 pm

While pheromones are an important part of the mating process in most other mammals, the extent of their influence in humans is not fully understood. However there is good evidence that humans can pick up on something from each other. I've heard of a study where women at a receptive point of their cycle find the smell of man-sweat attractive. And another where men rate the attractiveness of women higher when exposed to certain female biological odors.

Hygiene is a biologically new phenomenon in our species. Bathing once consisted of whatever got washed off when we jumped in the local river/lake/sea. So it's a reasonable hypothesis that we can smell stuff in each other's sweat, oils & urine that may increase our attractiveness to one another.

At the same time, though, there's a lot of bullshit about human pheromones. A simple Google search will give you tons of crap products that will claim all sorts of things about making you more attractive, but they're all a waste of your money. None of our understanding of human pheromones is sophisticated enough for any of these products to be anything but total bullshit.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Rule 34 should show you how attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, it really depends on the person.
There are *other* reasons to be hygienic apart from attractiveness.

As far as I know there's no human pharamones, but if people can be attracted to the stuff the net shows people find attractive, I'm sure sweaty men with 5 oclock shadows are what some people want.

I'm sure very few people would be into really dirty people, because we know they'll probably get us sick. Cleanliness may be too new for (many) instincts about it, but instinct isn't everything.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:17 am

I wish I could control body hair better...I'm a beast!! :( Back hair is the WORST. I don't mind the front (minus a bare spot in the middle due to a severe infection about a year ago....it's not growing back properly, so I have to care/attend to it) but yea I could definately lose the back hair.

Showering: I'll admit I skip a day once in a while...either because I'm extremely busy or just too f*ckin lazy. But if you go more than 2-3 days without showering, than you smell. It's not sexy. It's gross.

Shaving (Face): I'm conflicted. At times I've almost wanted to grow a beard, but then it becomes itchy and I don't like the feel of it on my face..so now I have to shave about every 3 days, and it sucks. I want to go back to doing it once a week!! :cry: If I really become too busy daily to care for it, I'll have a full beard no way around it (most of my uncles do...some are neatly trimmed, while others look like people from the 1880's and or armish land :o )

You have to please yourself before you can please your spouce. If she really loves you, she won't care as much. But guys have to keep their gals in mind too, so it's a catch 22 if you ask me :wink:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Humans are a weird species indeed. We are disgusted by ourselves and by others. Every secretion that comes out of our bodies is disgusting and stinky to us.
I mean, dogs sniff each others butts, and use their piss to leave their scent everywhere. We even find our saliva gross. And we spend so much time and effort trying to smell like something else. For example, plants that use their smell to attract insects.
We're so weird that we even find babies of other species to be more appealing than our own. Baby's cry is one of the most annoying sounds know to man. That's the only reason we can't ignore it.
Evolutionary, there's something really wrong with us.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”