Protesting Chick-Fil-A

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

mo303564

Re: Protesting Chick-Fil-A

Postby mo303564 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:38 am

Well, we were close on the sun traveling around Earth...but apparently we discovered it was just the other way around :lol:

Look, I just don't think they should be punished or ridiculed because of a private matter. So what if they have religious beliefs and shared it to the world. So what if they want their company to use religious by-laws like not opening on Sundays. It doesn't detur me. I'm sure they are not the only ones (especially in the south).
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah, it's only an issue for anyone who's for gay marriage or even cares about it. Me? I'd still eat there, as gay marriage isn't an issue for me - I don't have a dog in that fight.

But I think I've only eatne there twice in all the years I've been aware of it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am

mo303564 wrote:Look, I just don't think they should be punished or ridiculed because of a private matter.

Punished - no. They broke no law. Ridiculed - why not? They brought it on themselves. If you openly discriminate against one group of people, you should expect to be publicly nailed to the cross.

mo303564 wrote:So what if they have religious beliefs and shared it to the world.

The problem starts when religious beliefs get in the way of one group's rights and civil liberties. Religion doesn't owns marriage. So religion should have no saying about who can or cannot get married.

mo303564 wrote:I'm sure they are not the only ones (especially in the south).

They're not. But they're quickly becoming a minority. Even in the South.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Mamont wrote:
mo303564 wrote:Look, I just don't think they should be punished or ridiculed because of a private matter.

Punished - no. They broke no law. Ridiculed - why not? They brought it on themselves. If you openly discriminate against one group of people, you should expect to be publicly nailed to the cross.

Exactly, essence of democracy. People have the right to say whatever they like, other people have the right to be openly pissed off at it.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:05 pm

I'd eat there. The purpose of a company is to make a product, not to make policy. Their CEO can have whatever views he wants. If the shoe was on the other foot and a company supported something liberal and was attacked by conservatives - such as google's support of gay marraige - I'd support the company so why can't we support chick fillet? If they're discriminating against gay customers or employees, or not hiring gays, that should be illegal. If the politics of the CEO are this important, that should be the issue we look into. We can chooose not to shop there though that's our fredom I just don't care as long as the company isn't discriminating against gay employees or customers.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Where I live, this particular restaurant chain does not exist, so there is no problem as to whether or not to go there. It is not an option. And having never been to one, I don't even know if I'd be missing out on anything.

Like most boycotts, it's purely symbolic. But if it makes an individual feel a little better about something they are powerless to change, by all means go for it.

For example, because of their criminal actions in the Gulf of Mexico, I will not refuel my vehicle at a filling station with a BP sign. Same thing with Exxon or Mobil (since it's the same company now). Their un-prosecuted criminality before and after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound means they will not be getting my business.
Of course with oil companies, I'm still probably using gasoline from them since it all gets mixed up in the various pipelines that shuttle fuel around this continent. So in reality, I'm really only hurting the locally owned gas station that happens to be a BP or Exxon. But still, it gives me some sense of satisfaction. And those local businesses can always switch their affiliation (or be independent) to get my money.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am

Other companies refusing to do buisiness deals with them will probably hurt a lot more than any boycott.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 pm

M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 am

I am bi..I have friends who are also gay, lesbian, bi and transgendered. It is an issue for us. Yes, the Ceo of that company does have the same freedom of speech and freedom of religion we all do..He does have the right to say what he did..But, those who disagree with him have the right to say what they think..And, if he has the right to give his money to anti gay marriage groups, I have the right to use my money the way I want too..I am not going to give my hard earned money to a company that openly discriminates against people like me. f*ck them. I can make my own chicken, and I can go spend my at Starbucks, since they support same sex marriage. Face, it, everytime you spend your money, it is like voting.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 am

Yep, voting with your pocketbook. It can make or break a company.

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Big-Will wrote:The Onion delivers! :lol:

I wish I had a BBQ place. I'd go the opposite direction, and support the ladies and gentlemen of the community who enjoy their own same-similar kind by serving pork-butt and smoked sausage sandwiches, smoked salmon tacos, and I'd offer banana pudding filled super soakers, just for fun. :mrgreen:
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:46 pm

BRMBug wrote:
Big-Will wrote:The Onion delivers! :lol:

I wish I had a BBQ place. I'd go the opposite direction, and support the ladies and gentlemen of the community who enjoy their own same-similar kind by serving pork-butt and smoked sausage sandwiches, smoked salmon tacos, and I'd offer banana pudding filled super soakers, just for fun. :mrgreen:

.... Okay, you need to do that, I want to eat there. :shock:
skurtz wrote:

Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm

I am bi..I have friends who are also gay, lesbian, bi and transgendered. It is an issue for us.

I'm also gay and know many LGBT people. It's an issue for me but it doesn't over-ride my love of chicken ;)
It's more that I don't think 'voting' with your wallet will work against huge companies. This is a good video on the topic of companies not dealing with homophobic companies and that has strong effects. Politicians talking about it is BS.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm

....And, another zombie account has just shown up. :lol:
skurtz wrote:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”