Do I have stomach flu?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

skurtz

Do I have stomach flu?

Postby skurtz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm

With all the rain and the wind, mother nature made the weather cooler and it made me sick. I don't know which is the best pill to take. My body temperature dropped, making me feel lethargic and groggy, and I got knots in my stomach. What do you think I should take? Which is the best pill? What advice can you give me? I took two Advil and I rested. Is Advil going to work or is Oxycontin better? Should I use Oxycontin if Advil doesn't work? Maybe Tylenol works better. I felt better when I went to the bathroom. I hope I don't have diarrhea. This is also giving me heartburn. Should I take Gaviscon, Zantac, or keep using Advil? There's only so many pills I can take. Can you tell me which pill makes me feel better? I need more help on this one.
Farzad is a professor at Seneca at York.
Unassumption

Re: Do I have stomach flu?

Postby Unassumption » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Are people actually more likely to get sick in winter? If so, why? If not, why has winter become associated with sickness?

I'd see a doctor before taking medicine I haven't touched before for something.
I don't think anyone here knows better than you do what works for you, so keep experementing if you can't see a doctor. Of course make sure you don't OD.

There are other sites that might be able to answer the question better so google for better advice maybe?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Technically, no you don't have stomach flu because influenza is a respiratory virus.
Most stomach bugs are some kind of bacterial infection. If it's giving you heartburn, I would suggest getting tested for H. pylori, which is an infection that isn't likely to go away without being treated with the proper antibiotics. Until you can get tested, take some kind of stomach soother like Pepto; don't take too many painkillers because most of them have an adverse impact on the stomach lining, which will ultimately make the pain worse.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
skurtz

Postby skurtz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 pm

NeuroHeart wrote:Technically, no you don't have stomach flu because influenza is a respiratory virus.
Most stomach bugs are some kind of bacterial infection. If it's giving you heartburn, I would suggest getting tested for H. pylori, which is an infection that isn't likely to go away without being treated with the proper antibiotics. Until you can get tested, take some kind of stomach soother like Pepto; don't take too many painkillers because most of them have an adverse impact on the stomach lining, which will ultimately make the pain worse.

I took Pepto. Made me feel a little better. This debacle over more Pepto Bismol or more Advil is second-guessing me.
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm

In your shoes, I would definitely not take more than one Advil a day, and would try to take none at all. Advil can be very hard on the stomach lining and cause painful digestion or bloody stool. The only good thing it might do is bring a fever down, but a fever combined with digestive upset can be a sign of a very serious infection (like E. coli, which I had a bout with last year) so if you do have a fever, please exercise caution.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 pm

It's been 4 days since your OP; did the symptoms go away? Are you feeling better now? I hope you do :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 pm

He might reply soon. I know he's online right now.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
skurtz

Postby skurtz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Big-Will wrote:He might reply soon. I know he's online right now.

My stomach flu is history. Fuhgeddaboudit! I have heartburn. What do I take?
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Dimethylmercury
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 am

Maalox. Wait, do they even still make it? Seems like I can never find it anywhere. Well, if you can't find that, try the next closest store-brand equivalent.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 am

Niels0827 wrote:Dimethylmercury

:lol:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”