Hearlhcare.gov...

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Hearlhcare.gov...

Postby Big-Will » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Why are those ads playing on a Web site dedicated to a show like South Park whose creators are rather libertarian? Discuss.

(I don't see the ads since I have Ad Block Plus, but I've been told...)

Guess the issues surrounding Hearlhcare.gov got fixed.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
KennyStanWendyFan

Re: Hearlhcare.gov...

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 am

I guess whoever is in charge of posting ads on the site just received a queef to the face.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 am

Most internet ads are from ad servers. Sometimes they are targeted, sometimes they are completely random. Sometimes they are localized.

They don't pay specifics to run on this website. They run on multiple websites.

Since the average South Park fan is 18-34 (Actually 18-34 is the target demographic), they are likely targeted based on age and location.

I know a lot of radio stations targeting those who are between the ages of 18-34 (Your college student, your young adult, etc) have a lot of healthcare.gov ads.

They're not looking at political leanings of the people who created the show or even the show itself. They're looking at "Male, between the ages of 18-34" "Female, between the ages of 18-34"
Stan and Kyle :)
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm

They do want more 20-somethings to sign up.
We've got some of those.

I've got insurance through work, so yeah...

You read it! You can't unread it!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Up until last January, I had insurance through my workplace. However, I'm currently transitioning from my old job into a new career, and as a result I am working both jobs simultaneously for right now. I don't yet qualify for health insurance from my new job, and until I get tenure (I'm a college instructor), I won't qualify for benefits for quite some time. In fact, the Affordable Care Act limits the number of campus jobs I can work. Before last October, I had four campus jobs: two research assistant jobs, a job tutoring at our campus's Learning Center, and an English Composition class that I was teaching. Now I'm limited to only the latter two. In order to continue working at the Learning Center, we have to work through loopholes in the employment system: I'm not officially an employee of the Learning Center, and am instead working there in exchange for scholarships. This limits the number of hours I officially work on campus and therefore disqualifies me for the university's healthcare program. At the time, I resented "Obamacare" for reducing the number of hours I'm able to work as a part time employee.

Meanwhile, the grocery store I've been working at for the past five years was my former source of health insurance. I was paying $96 a month just for health benefits alone (plus another $12 a month for dental, which I still get). However, due to the number of jobs I've had since late summer of 2013, my hours at the grocery store have been sharply reduced--it is now my weekend job. Because I did not work enough hours in 2013, my health insurance was taken from me at the beginning of 2014. While I had not intended to use healthcare.gov for any purposes whatsoever, when I lost my insurance, I found myself faced with two options: pay over $370 to COBRA in order to keep my old insurance plan, or look into the options available through the healthcare.gov website. Not wanting to pay the penalty tax for not having health insurance, I of course looked into the cheaper of my two options.

I found a plan for $188, plus the $10 healthcare.gov fee, minus a $188 tax subsidy for which I was eligible, which means I am now paying $10 a month for health insurance. I can visit my same doctor and only pay a $20 co-pay (as opposed to the $30 co-pay that came with my old plan), prescriptions are $5, and ER visits are $10. While I haven't utilized my new health insurance plan yet, I have to say that I'm satisfied so far.

So, for right now, I suppose I'm on the pro-end of the healthcare debate. For most of last year, I was leaning strongly towards the anti-end, and before that, I was on neutral ground; my mindset was "Wait and see what happens before forming an opinion, and keep my current insurance for as long as I can." Now that I have a non-employer insurance plan, I have one less reason to stay with my grocery store job. I'm hoping to be able to teach two classes instead of just one in the fall so that I can make enough money to quit the grocery store.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:10 pm

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:Now that I have a non-employer insurance plan, I have one less reason to stay with my grocery store job. I'm hoping to be able to teach two classes instead of just one in the fall so that I can make enough money to quit the grocery store.

That is really nice that you don't have to keep a, well, I don't want to call it a "shitty job", but obviously it's not what you want to do forever; just to have health insurance. Talking heads tried to characterize situations like yours as "costing people jobs", but that's a sneaky lie. If people can leave a job they don't want to train for a job they do, that's a good thing. That's upward mobility.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:Now that I have a non-employer insurance plan, I have one less reason to stay with my grocery store job..

That is exactly what the report from the CBO was saying when it said it would "reduce working hours" that the Republicans flipped their sh*t over. All it was saying was that some people would no longer have to work certain jobs just to keep health insurance, so they would quit. That was not only a good thing for those that were now able to quit, it is a good thing for those seeking jobs. Now they are available when they otherwise would not have been.

Things are often much more nuanced than anyone is willing to admit or deal with.

Also, as kfgg said, ads are served, primarily, through third party services such as Google, and the sites have very basic controls over what they do not want advertised on their site. So unless SPS set up a blacklist with healthcare.gov included, there is nothing stopping that ad from popping up.

On the topic of them being against the ACA, personally, I think they can be against the idea of the ACA in principal and it would be just fine. But when they equated it to the Canadian health care system and THEN trashed it in that episode, that was going full retard. Not only is their system actual single payer, but they exaggerated any problems that it had. To suggest that what the ACA gave us was even close to what Canada has (which is actually a million time better) is dumb enough on its own, without then dragging it through the dirt, disingenuously.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 am

I agree with both of you. Occupying multiple jobs is not good for the economy or unemployment; I'd be doing someone somewhere a favor by leaving one of my jobs, as he or she would then be able to fill my position. I'm in a position leading to management at the grocery store, and so anyone who is interested in management would want my job there. Meanwhile, I want to dedicate the time I spend at the grocery store to instead pursuing my teaching career. Everybody wins, nobody loses.

From the far right's perspective, though, the fact that I'm using a tax subsidy to get cheap insurance is a handout or an entitlement. The way I see it, though, is that I work plenty hard enough to have earned the right to have such a basic right as health insurance; I pay my taxes, and I have a right to reap whatever benefits I can from them.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 am

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:From the far right's perspective, though, the fact that I'm using a tax subsidy to get cheap insurance is a handout or an entitlement. The way I see it, though, is that I work plenty hard enough to have earned the right to have such a basic right as health insurance; I pay my taxes, and I have a right to reap whatever benefits I can from them.

Fuck the far right. You just pointed out what they don't understand. You pay into that shit, and you get something out of it. No society in the world is exempt from people who take more than they put in. Nobody likes a lazy bum abusing the system, but these cunts have a habit of calling anyone receiving any type of welfare a "mooch." They think a broken system equates to an overall bad idea. Just wait until one of those assholes gets hurt on the job they've been working at for 50+ years and suddenly can't work anymore. I wonder what they'll think of it, then. All criticism and no action on behalf of these imbeciles. They don't even understand Keynesian economics.

I'm earning my next college degree while working two jobs and simultaneously taking calculus, microeconomics, and computing. I live in my own place and take care of my own rent, bills, and expenses with what little I make. I also get $1400 per semester from the school because I'm on the Dean's List every semester for my academic performance and I qualify for financial aid given my circumstances. Half these pricks were probably "mooching" off their parents when they were in college and not working a job yet. But I've taken criticism for it because apparently they can find something wrong with what I'm doing.

When I get my degree, I'm going into the accounting field which pays into the six figures for high-tier jobs, and I have an agreement with a friend of my mother who wants me to work for her starting at no less than $60K straight out of college. I'm paying back every single dollar I received from that school - during my entire duration there - through my higher tax bracket, and then some, after less than a year. Less than a fucking year. That's not a "handout." That's investment, and it fucking paid off. I'm also going to be paying, in the form of taxes, more than what I'd be paying if I had an insurance plan through the ACA. These people would have a different opinion if they suddenly and unexpectedly contracted a disease that would cost them thousands of dollars a year in medicine and supplies just to stay alive. If it weren't for the ACA, I'd be either thousands of dollars in debt, or dead.

Don't give those retards any credibility. You're smarter than that. At this point, Republicans are so fucking clueless, even Hello Kitty says good-bye to them.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:14 am

Niels0827 wrote:
KennyStanWendyFan wrote:From the far right's perspective, though, the fact that I'm using a tax subsidy to get cheap insurance is a handout or an entitlement. The way I see it, though, is that I work plenty hard enough to have earned the right to have such a basic right as health insurance; I pay my taxes, and I have a right to reap whatever benefits I can from them.

Fuck the far right. You just pointed out what they don't understand. You pay into that shit, and you get something out of it. No society in the world is exempt from people who take more than they put in. Nobody likes a lazy bum abusing the system, but these cunts have a habit of calling anyone receiving any type of welfare a "mooch." They think a broken system equates to an overall bad idea. Just wait until one of those assholes gets hurt on the job they've been working at for 50+ years and suddenly can't work anymore. I wonder what they'll think of it, then. All criticism and no action on behalf of these imbeciles. They don't even understand Keynesian economics.

I'm earning my next college degree while working two jobs and simultaneously taking calculus, microeconomics, and computing. I live in my own place and take care of my own rent, bills, and expenses with what little I make. I also get $1400 per semester from the school because I'm on the Dean's List every semester for my academic performance and I qualify for financial aid given my circumstances. Half these pricks were probably "mooching" off their parents when they were in college and not working a job yet. But I've taken criticism for it because apparently they can find something wrong with what I'm doing.

When I get my degree, I'm going into the accounting field which pays into the six figures for high-tier jobs, and I have an agreement with a friend of my mother who wants me to work for her starting at no less than $60K straight out of college. I'm paying back every single dollar I received from that school - during my entire duration there - through my higher tax bracket, and then some, after less than a year. Less than a fucking year. That's not a "handout." That's investment, and it fucking paid off. I'm also going to be paying, in the form of taxes, more than what I'd be paying if I had an insurance plan through the ACA. These people would have a different opinion if they suddenly and unexpectedly contracted a disease that would cost them thousands of dollars a year in medicine and supplies just to stay alive. If it weren't for the ACA, I'd be either thousands of dollars in debt, or dead.

Don't give those retards any credibility. You're smarter than that. At this point, Republicans are so fucking clueless, even Hello Kitty says good-bye to them.

Likewise, I intend to pay back everything I owe once I finish school. Of course, it'll take me a lot longer because I'm not going into as lucrative a field as you, but like you said, it's an investment, and while it doesn't always pay off for everyone, in my case I feel it was worth it, and if I had to do it all over again, I would. That's awesome that you've already got a high-paying job lined up after you graduate.

Yes, there are lazy mooches out there, but the honest and hard-working majority should not be punished just because of a few people who buy crab legs on EBT. It's funny how they don't apply these same principles to rich people and corporations who exploit every tax loophole available to them, costing the United States government far more money than welfare and food stamps combined. Furthermore, poor people did not cause the collapse of the economy in 2008. It was the asshats on Wall Street who did that, and they got away it.

It especially infuriates me when they call Social Security and Medicare "handouts." That money belongs to the people who paid into it all their lives.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”