Russia Demystified

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

agent-FSS

Re: Russian hunger pangs

Postby agent-FSS » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 pm

zzyzx 2 wrote:Yes, she is. Thank you for asking. She also says that the name of the little town the family was from that was near Pinsk was called Goradaya (spelling?).

Glad to hear it. Health and long life your mom.
Maybe it was Gorodnaya? Certainly much time has passed since then, the names may change, you can to ask at mother was leaking whether in those places the river Pripyat? And if so, how far? There have been a swamps? Lakes maybe? In the city of Pinsk was Temple of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary? Or other attractions?

By the way, you're a Catholic, Jew or atheist? It not very important, but me just wondering.
Samathou

Postby Samathou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:38 am

Hahaha, alright, thank you!
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:50 am

Samathou wrote:Hahaha, alright, thank you!

Enjoy :) . As you can see here are more likely to ask about my homeland than talk about politics. So if you want to learn something I will always be glad to answer.
Do you mind if I use this opportunity to ask what you think about the situation around selling us the helicopter carriers Mistral?..
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:34 pm

agent-FSS wrote:By the way, you're a Catholic, Jew or atheist? It not very important, but me just wondering.

A Jew :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Russian Demystified

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 pm

agent-FSS wrote:Enjoy :) . As you can see here are more likely to ask about my homeland than talk about politics. So if you want to learn something I will always be glad to answer.

This calls for a change in thread title. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
agent-FSS

Re: Russian Demystified

Postby agent-FSS » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:41 am

zzyzx 2 wrote:
agent-FSS wrote:By the way, you're a Catholic, Jew or atheist? It not very important, but me just wondering.

A Jew :)

So it's good! With Kyle already have something in common :D . You remember the episode 110? I always wanted to ask really Hanukkah is celebrated for a week, and Christmas not? And dreidl, what you may said about it? And when you was a child got in gift the money?

Oh, and also the Jew is the coolest class in the Stick of Truth :wink: .

Big-Will wrote:
agent-FSS wrote:Enjoy :) . As you can see here are more likely to ask about my homeland than talk about politics. So if you want to learn something I will always be glad to answer.

This calls for a change in thread title. :)

Thanks Big-Will, this name I like a lot more :) .
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Russian Demystified

Postby Big-Will » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:34 am

agent-FSS wrote:I always wanted to ask really Hanukkah is celebrated for a week, and Christmas not?

Hanukkah is indeed celebrated for eight days, and Christmas itself for the one day, but in the Roman calendar (for the Catholic Church), there's a whole Christmas season starting on the first Sunday of Advent to the Feast of the Epiphany. The Advent part of the season is to prepare us for

1. the birth of Jesus. Or at least the events surrounding that birth, since we don't know when he was really born.

2. the return of Jesus, promised to us after the Gospel has been spread to the ends of the Earth and certain things begin to happen that let us know he is indeed on his way.

No feasting during that time.

Between Christmas and Epiphany, some of us observe the Twelve Days of Christmas, which is just a countdown to Epiphany, and there's plenty of feasting then. :)

agent-FSS

Re: Russia Demystified

Postby agent-FSS » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Here is how. Thank you, Big-Will.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:33 pm

There are 44 days to Hannukah. Hanukkah is celebrated for 8 days. It always starts (on the Hebrew calendar) on the 25th day of the month of Kislev.

Each night for the eight nights (as children) we got a present. Sometimes Hannukah Gelt (Gelt is Yiddish for "money") and sometimes toys.

We eat latkahs (potato pancakes) fried in oil to represent the clean oil that was found in the temple. There was only enough oil to last one night. However, it lasted 8 nights and that's why Hannukah is celebrated for 8 days.

As to the dreidel, it is a Yiddish word for "spinning top." Here is a great one page article about the dreidel and it's origins:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah ... reidel.htm
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:03 pm

zzyzx 2 wrote:There are 44 days to Hannukah. Hanukkah is celebrated for 8 days. It always starts (on the Hebrew calendar) on the 25th day of the month of Kislev.

Each night for the eight nights (as children) we got a present. Sometimes Hannukah Gelt (Gelt is Yiddish for "money") and sometimes toys.

We eat latkahs (potato pancakes) fried in oil to represent the clean oil that was found in the temple. There was only enough oil to last one night. However, it lasted 8 nights and that's why Hannukah is celebrated for 8 days.

As to the dreidel, it is a Yiddish word for "spinning top." Here is a great one page article about the dreidel and it's origins:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah ... reidel.htm

It's great to celebrate the whole 8 days. I love to learn something new. Thank you so much. I'll have to remember that to congratulate you. Perhaps the only holiday in Russia similar to length when we eat pancakes (the truth of plain flour) is a Shrovetide.

How about kosher? You buy any special foods?
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 am

agent-FSS wrote:It's great to celebrate the whole 8 days. I love to learn something new. Thank you so much. I'll have to remember that to congratulate you. Perhaps the only holiday in Russia similar to length when we eat pancakes (the truth of plain flour) is a Shrovetide.

How about kosher? You buy any special foods?

We buy all our meat at the kosher butcher shop. We buy other food at the regular market.

We don't mix dairy products with meat products. So I don't eat cheese burgers, and also we don't eat shell fish. Only fish that have scales and fins. So I never ate a lobster, crab, oyster, or calamari (octopus/squid). It comes from Leviticus Chapter 11. Here it is in a brief form:

Although the details of kashrut are extensive, the laws all derive from a few fairly simple, straightforward rules:

Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs, and milk of the forbidden animals.

Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be slaughtered in accordance with Jewish law.

All blood must be drained from the meat or broiled out of it before it is eaten.

Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.

Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy.

Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. These are called: Parava Foods.

Utensils that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:16 am

So agent-FSS, as long as the current title of this thread (subject to change, of course) is "Russia Demystified," tell us something of the weather where you live. Here in Southern California (that's the State of California, the southern part near The City of Los Angeles), we are having a major drought. It is true it rained yesterday, but not enough to make any progress with the drought. It gets cold in December, going below 32°F (0°C) for the lows. About an hour and a half drive away in the mountains we go skiing at a place called: Mountain High. Then an hour and a half home, then a half hour drive to the Pacific Ocean for a Bar-B-Que on the beach. Skiing and going to the beach in the same day :)

The summers are hot, many days over 100°F (40°C). But the evenings are cool.

What is it like where you live?
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:42 am

zzyzx 2 wrote:So agent-FSS, as long as the current title of this thread (subject to change, of course) is "Russia Demystified," tell us something of the weather where you live. Here in Southern California (that's the State of California, the southern part near The City of Los Angeles), we are having a major drought. It is true it rained yesterday, but not enough to make any progress with the drought. It gets cold in December, going below 32°F (0°C) for the lows. About an hour and a half drive away in the mountains we go skiing at a place called: Mountain High. Then an hour and a half home, then a half hour drive to the Pacific Ocean for a Bar-B-Que on the beach. Skiing and going to the beach in the same day :)

The summers are hot, many days over 100°F (40°C). But the evenings are cool.

What is it like where you live?

Northern Caucasia. The Stavropol Territory. This is almost the most southern Russia. Near be located such a Republic as Chechnya, so in the late 90's and early 2000's we were here on the front lines in the fight against terrorism and lived as on a powder keg. I think because of this you can understand our concern about situation with ISIL, if it gets out of control our relatively quiet life will come to an end.

Our land is mostly known for its agricultural sector, for example wheat of the highest quality, into English the chamber of Weights and Measures kept our sample wheat as a reference. Large acreage occupied under corn, sunflower, sugar beet, rapeseed, vegetables, grapes and orchards. But farmers often need apply artificial irrigation. Great importance has cattle-breeding. So a trade embargo here us not to upset.

Pretty developed chemical industry, producing oil and gas, but the producers is quite old and already pretty exhausted. There is a unique resort in the Caucasian Mineral Waters, with a huge number of different wells of mineral water, incidentally uranium for the first atomic bomb the USSR was mined here, also there are large reserves of raw materials for building materials.

Accelerated construction of the automobile plant, it seems even Ford.

In winter the average temperature seldom drops below 20 ° F (-7 ° C), but because of strong winds at this time of year, sometimes happens very cold, snow drops out a rarely.
In summer as typically, temperature kept in a range + 100/104 ° F (37/40 ° C), sometimes higher, on East under 110 ° F. Though geographic latitude of 45° correspond the very north of US. In the south of Russia the summer frequently happens droughts. Often without rains during month, sometimes two. In strongly arid season could be hot winds and dust storms. Sometimes the hail spoils a crop to farmers.

The same thing we can do in Sochi :D . But this city is too far from me.

Last week happened the first frost. Yesterday was the first snow, at night was +32 ° F . But forecasters say that this is just on couple of days and again will +10 ° C.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 pm

agent-FSS wrote:The same thing we can do in Sochi :D . But this city is too far from me.
I enjoyed watching Sochi on TV for the Winter Olympics earlier this year. It looked like a beautiful city. And Putin kept saying something like "welcome to the new Russia." Then after the Olympics the Ukraine occupation began. The new Russia?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Come meet the new boss.
Same as the old boss.
:P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”