Halloween and Christmas

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi!

Here we are getting closer to Halloween (well, yeah, October 19th... x) so I thought I'd just post a thread here.^^

For you, what does "Halloween" make you think of? What kind of day would you like to have?

Oh and... do you plan to do anything this year? (Obviously, many don't usually... but we never know x)

Personally, I just imagine all these costumes, with an orange sky and maybe some pumpkins and some candies. Would be nice to spend a good evening with a few friends or cousins (not many, maybe three or four) talking about some creepy stories.
What I plan to do though isn't very uhm... elaborated. I guess I'll just work on my stuff and that's about it. Probably geek on my computer too, or listen to some music...

=> Oh, and obviously... as we are talking about Halloween, maybe you'd also like to refer to Christmas _that is occuring a bit after but still... 8) I guess we can go with the same questions then! :mrgreen:

Personally, I'll just talk about the clear sky, the snow in the night (but wait... snow is like rain, so obviously there should be clouds and the sky can't be really clear... :| )
And a nice atmosphere with a Christmas tree, and a few colors such as red, and blue... a few lights and decorations... outside... and candies again. Oh, and nice decorations in malls and shops.
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
kfgg
Posts: 3108
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:12 am

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby kfgg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 pm

When I was much younger, Halloween involved Trick or Treating. Just doing what every kid did.

As a teenager and now an adult, I'm not a big fan of Halloween but if some people come to the door I'll give them some candy.

And every now and then I'll get a kick out of playing some "spooky songs" as I call them. Really just novelty songs that are Halloween in nature.

Christmas isn't the same. It used to be more when I was younger. Something you'd look forward to. As an adult, It's nice. I listen to some good Christmas music. But we haven't had a tree in years.
Stan and Kyle :)
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm

kfgg wrote:When I was much younger, Halloween involved Trick or Treating. Just doing what every kid did.

As a teenager and now an adult, I'm not a big fan of Halloween but if some people come to the door I'll give them some candy.

And every now and then I'll get a kick out of playing some "spooky songs" as I call them. Really just novelty songs that are Halloween in nature.

Christmas isn't the same. It used to be more when I was younger. Something you'd look forward to. As an adult, It's nice. I listen to some good Christmas music. But we haven't had a tree in years.


Hahaha, there are still kids who knock on the door for candies?
Where my mother lives (in this part of France where I currently am), it's no more as active as it used to be in my childhood city... too bad; there was more atmosphere. (Is there still some over there by the way? I have no idea... maybe I should ask to some people who still live in this place...)

Still sounds like you do something of your Halloween days. Yeah, when you're a kid you usually look forward to this day... and then, later...
well. It's pretty different I guess.
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
kfgg
Posts: 3108
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:12 am

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby kfgg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 pm

They still do. We live on a corner which they tend to avoid but they come around every now and then.

Depends on who lives in the neighborhood.
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18855
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Samathou wrote:Hahaha, there are still kids who knock on the door for candies?

Yes. Often in packs, with their parents waiting on the sidewalk. And those packs come in waves. I visit my sister and help her children go trick-or-treating, so I'm part of the pack, mwahaha. Now, as to the original question,

Samathou wrote:Hi!

Here we are getting closer to Halloween (well, yeah, October 19th... x) so I thought I'd just post a thread here.^^

For you, what does "Halloween" make you think of?

Halloween makes me think of pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, black cats, full moons, costumes, spooky but fun movies like The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Samathou wrote:What kind of day would you like to have? Do you plan to do anything this year? (Obviously, many don't usually... but we never know x)

I don't plan to dress up or anything, but I might visit my sister again and help out with the trick-or-treating. Around here we have the trick-or-treating, Halloween parties for the kids, and huge parties covering several blocks for kids and adults alike in places like Hollywood and West Hollywood. I have not been to those block parties.

Samathou wrote:maybe you'd also like to refer to Christmas _that is occuring a bit after but still... 8) I guess we can go with the same questions then! :mrgreen:

For you, what does "Christmas" make you think of?


Three things:
1. The baby Jesus, midnight mass, opening gifts right after mass. Streets are so peaceful and quiet at 1 in the morning. :)
2. Santa and his reindeer, his midnight ride delivering gifts to kids all over the world. As I got older I learned that not every place is covered in snow, so I wondered if he stripped down to shorts in those areas.
3. Holiday shopping, starting the day after Thanksgiving. When I was made aware of that, any hint of Santa flew out the window, lol.

Samathou wrote:What kind of day would you like to have? Do you plan to do anything this year? (Obviously, many don't usually... but we never know x)

A festive day. Christmas and Thanksgiving are the two days in the year my family gets together to catch up on the year and share what we've done in that time. I'll be there with my family, for sure. My brother will have his house decorated, and I have two small trees I'll put up from Thanksgiving to New Year's.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 pm

kfgg wrote:They still do. We live on a corner which they tend to avoid but they come around every now and then.

Depends on who lives in the neighborhood.


Oh, they do...?

Hmm, so you buy candies for this day or it's just pretty random whether you have some or not?

Big-Will wrote:Yes. Often in packs, with their parents waiting on the sidewalk. And those packs come in waves. I visit my sister and help her children go trick-or-treating, so I'm part of the pack, mwahaha. Now, as to the original question,


In packs? Oh my God... kid invasion...
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Samathou wrote:Hi!
For you, what does "Halloween" make you think of? What kind of day would you like to have?

I think the traditional: kids, candy.

But I also think of the dawn of the Celtic race in Ireland. I once heard a story about a young boy who fell in love with the King of Celtic people's daughter. Then after failing miserably and humiliating himself, he slays the king's daughter and kills himself on Halloween, thousands of years ago.



2

This is how I'm celebrating Halloween, I got beer ready:

Image



4

It used to be my favorite holiday ever, but lately I couldn't get into the Christmas spirit. I feel like a Scrooge, and I'm really trying to change.
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Alright Big-Will! I guess you didn't finish your message when I answered previously; I see you make a link between Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Milo > Oh hm... I guess that's what you're gonna watch for Halloween then? lol
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Samathou wrote:Milo > Oh hm... I guess that's what you're gonna watch for Halloween then? lol

Never seen the Halloween movies?
Last edited by Milo Vonnegut 3 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Since you brought up Christmas,

I was thinking of doing volunteering for the community, I know I'm supposed to feel good on Christmas, but I feel so bad sometimes for the homeless people and the homeless animals.
I give them money when I can.

I guess my favorite thing about Christmas is hanging out with my friends and family, watching movies together, eating pizza, opening presents, and playing Call of Duty.

I really hate black friday. Once I was shopping at Best Buy and almost got stepped on over a PS3, 5 years ago. I swear it looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead.
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 am

Hmmm no, I never have... What is it about?

Volunteering? That's a nice project! Reminds me I gave some money to some humanitary association a few months ago. :)
Well, if it can help your conscience (and some people from distress) then go for the human rights! 8)

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-oemgzlEU

Sounds like some good description of your type of Christmas; pretty friendly atmosphere even...

Hmmm... Seems like that "special" Friday with the PS3 marked you, as you still remember it 5 years ago...
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
JamesPup
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby JamesPup » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 am

I celebrated the holidays when I was a kid but now a days for me no Halloween or Christmas. I still get to eat a Thanksgiving feast and a Christmas one though. I have plenty on church going relatives that celebrate the holidays to make up for me not celebrating. Watching the Halloween movies or any scary movies sounds sweet but I don’t put much stock into that any more. The first and second Halloween movie would be enough and then there is the remake. I remember the Sci-Fi channel used to have tons of movies. Whatever there will be enough on TV to watch if I need. As I write Predator is on and it is perfect for a Sunday drunken special. Before was Lone Survivor. It has been a perfect Sunday. May everyone’s holidays be perfect.
What seems to be the officer problem?
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 am

JamesPup wrote:I celebrated the holidays when I was a kid but now a days for me no Halloween or Christmas. I still get to eat a Thanksgiving feast and a Christmas one though. I have plenty on church going relatives that celebrate the holidays to make up for me not celebrating. Watching the Halloween movies or any scary movies sounds sweet but I don’t put much stock into that any more. The first and second Halloween movie would be enough and then there is the remake. I remember the Sci-Fi channel used to have tons of movies. Whatever there will be enough on TV to watch if I need. As I write Predator is on and it is perfect for a Sunday drunken special. Before was Lone Survivor. It has been a perfect Sunday. May everyone’s holidays be perfect.

Eating a good feast is already not bad... :cartmansmirk: What kind of food do you usually have?

Oh ok, so I guess you haven't planned anything for this Halloween...
Well thank you, I also hope your holidays will be great!
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~
zzyzx 2
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby zzyzx 2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:13 am

For Halloween we go to various haunted houses. Not houses that are said to be haunted all year; houses that people make up just for Halloween! I have some favorites in an area east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Valley. But of course my favorite is going to Knotts Scary Farm muhahaha !

As to Christmas, it's a great day to go to Disneyland. It's crowded that day, but not as crowded as it is during the summer. Disneyland has been our new tradition for several years now. We used to go to a great fish restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean because they used to give diners a Christmas present: whatever your bill is for the day, you get a coupon in the exact amount that you spent to use anytime before the next Thanksgiving, 11 months away! Then they changed it to July, then to May, and now they don't offer the coupons anymore :(

So to me, Christmas = a day at Disneyland :santa:
Samathou
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby Samathou » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am

Oh, houses specificly made to give that sort of haunted atmosphere? Never heard of it, but that sounds like a pretty fun idea...
Reminds me when once I went to Portugal and I saw that house which had some fissured or broken windows with the darkness inside. It was night... It looked abandoned.

Disneyland... that's an interesting initiative. You do that each year?
In October, I already wanna wish you a Merry Christmas... mwahaha! ~~

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests