Halloween and Christmas

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

agent-FSS

Re: Halloween and Christmas

Postby agent-FSS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Big-Will wrote:And thus ends the holiday season. Of course, we have even more holidays in Winter and Spring:

Valentine's Day
Mardi Gras
St. Patrick's Day
Easter (and Holy Week before it)
Cinco De Mayo
Mother's Day
Memorial Day
Father's Day
indeed there are people who celebrate these holidays without a break?
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 pm

There is also President's Day, which is the third Monday in February to honor all Presidents, starting with the first one: George Washington.

And as to religious holidays/celebrations, there is the Jewish Passover, which lasts 8 days. This year Passover begins at sundown on Friday, April 3.
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:11 pm

zzyzx 2 wrote:There is also President's Day, which is the third Monday in February to honor all Presidents, starting with the first one: George Washington.

And as to religious holidays/celebrations, there is the Jewish Passover, which lasts 8 days. This year Passover begins at sundown on Friday, April 3.
Valentine's day and February 23 (Defender of the Fatherland Day) this coming holidays in Russia, at least those that I know. Till Jewish Passover is still almost a month, but you will celebrate the 8 days? As much as 8?! I began to have the feeling that the Jews very love long holidays :D ...
mudlick

Postby mudlick » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Agent FSS do they have 'Pust' in Russia? my cousins in Slovenia that Mardi Gras is actually Halloween in Slovenia and if you are 13 of drinking age you get shots of 'rakija' (brandy) or slivovica (plum brandy) when you go trick or treating.

heres something in the Slovene town of Ptuj called 'Kurentovanje' where th ancient pagan Slavic creatures come out of the Alps. it is an old tradition and is celebrated in different forms throughout the eastern Alps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurentovanje
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 am

mudlick wrote:Agent FSS do they have 'Pust' in Russia? my cousins in Slovenia that Mardi Gras is actually Halloween in Slovenia and if you are 13 of drinking age you get shots of 'rakija' (brandy) or slivovica (plum brandy) when you go trick or treating.

heres something in the Slovene town of Ptuj called 'Kurentovanje' where th ancient pagan Slavic creatures come out of the Alps. it is an old tradition and is celebrated in different forms throughout the eastern Alps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurentovanje
Honestly I'm not sure that I understand question, but assume that you mean Lent which comes after Shrovetide (we think this is Russian analogue of Mardi Gras). Quite an interesting hypothesis that Mardi Gras is Halloween in Slovenia, may be true.
"Kurentovanje" quite like a Russian "Kaljdovanie", because we have it associated with Halloween and celebrated just before Christmas, there are many similarities, including trick or treating. Although brandy course we do not give, so is not accepted.
zzyzxzz

Postby zzyzxzz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 pm

2020 has been the year to forget. So instead of saying "Happy Hanukkah 2020," right now, I'll use the lunar calendar:

Happy Hanukkah 5781
melissajeffrey

Postby melissajeffrey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 am

Hey,
It was really tough time on 2020 Christmas and Halloween, many countries were cancelled Christmas programs because of COVID-19, I hope 2021 Christmas will be better than ever.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”