Star Wars

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JamesPolo

Re: Star Wars

Postby JamesPolo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:48 am

There was a nice new trailer for the latest Star Wars movie The Rise of Skywalker today. Not sure what to make of the title. I guess there is still someone in the family bloodline that is a Skywalker. That could be Kylo Ren or Rey. In the video there is a scene that shows Rey with a Red lightsaber meaning she was now a bad guy. Not sure if that is a ploy or dream or what. We know that Princess Leia dies but not much else. The cast says Palpatine and Luke are in the movie but both are suppose to be dead, not sure where that is going other than force ghosts. Then there is Poe, Fin, and Rose, I would like to see how these characters would fit in if Rey becomes a bad guy, it just doesn't seem like these three main characters would just die. I think Rey as a bad guy would only be a dream or vision of the future or temporary. Kylo Ren doesn't seem to be able to switch sides so he must stay a bad guy throughout or have a Darth Vader finish. I can see Palpatine guiding Kylo Ren but would he really make the same mistake again if he is alive and die like he did with Darth Vader? We have seen this scene twice now where apprentice kills off the master with Darth Sidious and Snoke. Seeing that again seems stupid. Not sure why Rey would betray the Rebels unless the weird parent plot is reused. I guess her parents will either turn out to be someone big or nobodies. Not sure why else Rey would turn bad unless someone was able to help her learn of her parents or lied to her of who they were to make her obedient. With Rey being a bad guy, what will the other three heroes do? Also Carrie Fishers daughter who plays Connix may have a big role in the film out of respect of her dead mother. It seems like there will be a build up where the bad guys are with like the Star Killer base and maybe they kill a whole lot of the Rebels and civilians and planets and that Rey will be talked to join Kylo Ren and they will just end up having a huge fight and Rey wins and the movie ends with the Rebels winning. I wish Disney would just use history and the many different examples of how someone who is a king or general can die. I'm tired of seeing rehashing of scenes. Just have a character die like Jesus or like the Tsar family or like Caesar or Hitler or Napoleon or like Alexander the Great or like many other important and famous people in history.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
JVM

Postby JVM » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:47 am

I grew up with the Star Wars films and though most over thirty will insist the prequel films are desolate garbage, I was too young to question Phantom Menace and if you accept that at face value, the rest isn't so difficult. Those six films formed a crucial, foundational element of the person I became today, philosophically and creatively. No film will ever make me feel the way Revenge of the Sith did, seeing it on opening night in theaters as an older kid.

I can't stand the franchise anymore, any of it. It's all hot garbage. The self-seriousness that these films have been assigned, long before the Disney takeover but significantly codified by it, has completely ruined them. These are not supposed to be the pinnacle of filmmaking, and they never were. They are supposed to campy, melodramatic throwbacks to an earlier era with more advanced special effects relatively speaking. The way film culture corrupted the franchise as something far more sophisticated than it was has ruined the overall conception of the franchise in a way no single good film can ever fix.

The fact people hold up Han Solo as one of the greatest characters in all of film history, someone who is a very bland archetype in every single script and only ever seemed smart because of Harrison Ford's acting, probably says it most... which is exactly why Ford had no desire to return to the role, or these movies.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 pm

And now we're seeing ads for the Bobba Fett series Disney is coiling up on it's new steaming, er streaming service.

It's going to suck. Prequel/backstory sh*t always sucks. It doesn't move anything forward to try and over explain otherwise interesting characters with a bit of mystery about them. Instead it dilutes them. I don't need to see Han Solo make his Kessel run in 12 parsecs or whatever. I don't need a whole separate movie to explain why The Joker is a villain. I don't need two whole TV episodes to ret-con orginal series Klingons into Next Generation Klingons with the bumpy heads. And I certainly don't need baby Darth Vader palling around with the same two goddamn robots from the original trilogy! Even as a teenager, that struck me as dumb; I mean really? Darth Vader build C3PO? Booooo!!!

I can only imagine the kind of dumb things they're gonna do with the Fett. Bad enough they shoehorned him into Episode II as the clone of another, very similar looking bounty hunter. I can just see it now: a three episode arc about how he got his damn jetpack. And a montage of him picking out helmet colors. Bleh.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:55 pm

The Mandalorian is not about Boba Fett but is about a new bounty hunter character. It actually looks kind of good but I will never watch it. Mandalorian is the same race I think as Boba Fett, so the new character is kind of a ripoff character that is canon.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 pm
And now we're seeing ads for the Bobba Fett series Disney is coiling up on it's new steaming, er streaming service.

It's going to suck. Prequel/backstory sh*t always sucks. It doesn't move anything forward to try and over explain otherwise interesting characters with a bit of mystery about them. Instead it dilutes them. I don't need to see Han Solo make his Kessel run in 12 parsecs or whatever. I don't need a whole separate movie to explain why The Joker is a villain. I don't need two whole TV episodes to ret-con orginal series Klingons into Next Generation Klingons with the bumpy heads. And I certainly don't need baby Darth Vader palling around with the same two goddamn robots from the original trilogy! Even as a teenager, that struck me as dumb; I mean really? Darth Vader build C3PO? Booooo!!!

I can only imagine the kind of dumb things they're gonna do with the Fett. Bad enough they shoehorned him into Episode II as the clone of another, very similar looking bounty hunter. I can just see it now: a three episode arc about how he got his damn jetpack. And a montage of him picking out helmet colors. Bleh.
Of course it's going to suck, it's Star Wars. The entire story was told in three movies. People blame prequels for being set earlier in the timeline but modern sequels do the same kind of easter-eggy 'member berry' sh*t. It's not any different to me to see Chewbacca in e3 as it is to see the new characters climb aboard the old Falcon in e7. George Lucas made one cult classic, that kind of sucks by modern standard, and everyone's been trying to jack it off ever since.

Disney hasn't announced that 'the Mandalorian' is Boba Fett, and I don't think it could be timeline-wise, but they have hinted at a lot of other easter eggs and cameos, so it's still going to piss you and a lot of other intelligent people off.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:26 am

The wiki page of The Mandalorian says the series is Clint Eastwood-esque, that is enough for me to know it has to be good. Still I will never watch it. The main character is played by a Latino anyways, I would think that only Hispanics would truly like the series as that is basically the way the whole Boba Fett obsessed fandom turn out to be anyways.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 am

Look guys, I thought I was the racist but look. These days media is made for different groups, some of those of different races. It used to be that only Whites were the ones with money so all media was made for Whites but now a days its that all races are a good target market as everyone has money. So we need to get used to TV shows and the like for all races and other than just White! It is expected I would think that Whites will not favor The Mandalorian. This media is directed at Latinos. We need to just accept this or really if you guys want I mean we can be racist.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:36 pm

JVM wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 am
Disney hasn't announced that 'the Mandalorian' is Boba Fett, and I don't think it could be timeline-wise, but they have hinted at a lot of other easter eggs and cameos, so it's still going to piss you and a lot of other intelligent people off.
The Decider says it's not about him.
JamesPolo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 am
Look guys, I thought I was the racist but look. These days media is made for different groups, some of those of different races. It used to be that only Whites were the ones with money so all media was made for Whites but now a days its that all races are a good target market as everyone has money. So we need to get used to TV shows and the like for all races and other than just White! It is expected I would think that Whites will not favor The Mandalorian. This media is directed at Latinos. We need to just accept this or really if you guys want I mean we can be racist.
The show will feature a Hispanic actor who's already been in GoT, and hardly a word was said about his ethnicity back then, as far as I know. Fans won't care, not if Lando Calrissian has anything to say about it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:42 am

Hmm, well I guess I just assumed it was about The Fett because the trailers I'm seeing during football games have a dude that looks exactly like him. And also I see IG88; that robot bounty hunter with like 12 seconds of screentime in Empire and whose name I only know thanks to Robot Chicken.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”