Star Wars

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex

Re: Star Wars

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:57 am

Milo Vonnegut wrote:So, anybody have a comment on the rumor that's blowing up one internet about Jar Jar possibly being a Sith Lord, possibly Supreme Leader Snoke?

https://www.reddit.com/comments/3qvj6w/
And E.T. is a Sith Lord. :mrgreen:

You read it! You can't unread it!
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:34 pm

I don't think the Jar-Jar theory was ever serious -- let's note that Abrams has said once with a big grin he wanted to have Jar-Jar's bones show up in the new movie but he only thought a few people'd notice, "but they'd love it." I still think that's horrifically petty but I suppose if it's not IN the actual movie I should excuse it.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 am

The Truth Is Out There... Jar Jar Binks will not be in the new Star Wars Movie. Here is a link about it. http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movi ... ie-n475791
What seems to be the officer problem?
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:45 am

Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
So I just saw Star Wars The Force Awakens.
I really loved the movie. There were lots of great things about it. I think Rey was very well written and casted. I did like the Finn character and it was nicely created. The movie was like The New Hope and so it is likely that 8 and 9 will be like 5 and 6.
What was wrong for me was Finn was black. Also in the movie there is like one light saber battle and it is poorly written that Finn and Rey would be able to compete with Kilo Ren. Also Kilo Ren without his mask was terrible. I feel the actor that played Kilo Ren was not good without his mask. He lacked emotion and at scenes like the one with Kilo Ren and Han Solo it was like the acting was bad maybe because Ford is too old. Also Captain Phasma is a great character yet she is useless in this movie. She does nothing. It was pathetic. Harrison Ford did a good job but there were a few times his acting wasn’t that good because of him being old and out of shape. Still Ford did fantastic overall.
I didn’t like how the New Death Star was so large and so easily beaten. The movie ends well with a longing to see more with Luke and Rey. It will be nice to see that Rey is really Luke's daughter as it seems she is.
JJ Abrams I think did a great job with this movie. I can’t wait to see the next two from this director.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 pm

The Force Awakens was fantastic. The following will contain spoilers, so consider yourself warned. And in my opinion, knowing certain details will reduce the experience of this film.

For starters, I found the "OMG, black Stormtrooper!!" fake controversy was easily explained away in a very sensible manner. It was totally reasonable that The First Order would try something different from the Old Republic in getting soldiers, since they ultimately failed.

Kylo Ren was a more nuanced bad guy than any previous Sith Lord. They portray him as still being a young apprentice to his master. He doesn't even outrank a general in the First Order yet. As such his skills with The Force are still growing. This detail makes some events later in the movie more believable; especially that Finn or Rae could hold their own against him in a light saber duel. Ren being the offspring of Han and Leia wasn't that big of a surprise since I've heard grumblings of that for decades thanks to the expanded universe stuff Disney "threw out". It was a nice touch to have 'Ben' turning to the Dark Side as the event that ruined Han and Leia's relationship. Though it did seem like a stretch that this event was so hard on Han that he found himself unable to do anything professionally other than revert to being a smuggler again.

Carrie Fischer's voice is so much deeper today compared to when she last played Leia; did have a moment or two where it pulled me out of the movie. I kept hearing Peter Griffin's boss. After I got over that, then she started to sound more "stately". You know, it's that thing that exists in our culture where we have expectations that women in positions of power will have deeper voices. Doesn't matter if it's Margaret Thatcher, Hillary Clinton or Princess-freaking-Leia.

JJ Abrams was none too subtle with the symbolism of Light vs. Dark throughout the film. The uber Death Star literally sucks energy directly from a star to power its weapon. A source of light is turned dark. Kylo Ren is still undergoing his complete transition to the Dark Side, so in the climactic scene with Han Solo, when the light shining into the big room they are in is extinguished, there is no doubt in your mind what is about to happen. It's like staring at an oncoming freight train. You know exactly what will happen when it hits you and there's nothing you can do to avoid it. I started pre-reacting before they even moved into the close-up. It was an amazing experience in those few seconds of not being able to blink or turn away from what had to be coming. I am so glad I went into it not knowing.

Han, Chewy & Leia were all used very well in the movie and never felt tacked on for the sake of nostalgia. I can't say the same for R2 and 3PO. I was a little pissed when I saw each of them. I mean come on; they have to be obsolete by now, right? And since when are droids so emotional? Apparently R2 is sulking like he's the robot from A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.

But that's just a minor quibble. I have more, but overall, it was a great movie. It proves what I felt would be true after seeing Star Trek 11; that Abrams would do a better job with Star Wars than Lucas. (What he did to Star Trek is another matter.)

JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 am

Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,
Spoiler Alert,

So the scene I liked the best I think was when Kilo Ren had just beaten Finn and the light saber was thrown several feet away. Kilo Ren starts to use the force to grab the light saber but then it flies past Kilo Ren's hand and into Rey's from behind. It had me water up a little in the eyes.

Also Han Solo twice used Chewie's crossbow blaster and that was a great scene. It was extremely fulfilling seeing Han Solo killing Stormtroopers.

I wish the movie had had like an extra 15 minutes to it to add in for some of the characters. Like Chewie should have had more angry and sadness when Han Solo died. Also Leia should have had more screen time. I hope she is used more in the next two movies.

I think that Luke, Leia, and Chewie should all die in the next two movies. It would be nice to see R2D2 go or 3CPO as there is now BB-8.

Rey is really cute and hot. I really like her. I hope Daisy Ridley ends up with a great movie career from these Star Wars movies. Rey is my favorite character in this movie. I'd say Han Solo and Chewie would be second. I wonder who Rey is? Is she the daughter of Luke or was she a student of Luke? She had a father or someone abandon her on Jakku. I think I like the idea that she was one of Luke's students that Kilo Ren failed to kill. Luke left her on Jakku as her whole family had been murdered by Kilo Ren. I think the Skywalker bloodline needs to be stopped.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:33 am

Do we know anything about the new Big Bad?
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:34 pm

nall wrote:Do we know anything about the new Big Bad?
You mean Supreme Leader Snoke? Here is a wiki about him http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snoke

I see it that Kylo Ren is not a good fighter and so he will never be able to kill Rey or Luke. I think Snoke will get to have a light saber with Luke and kill him.

Snoke is like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings. He is created by the same actor too. His face is badly scarred and he is very old. I think he is short and so he may be a lot like Yoda with fighting ability and style.

In the next movie Snoke will train Kylo Ren better and finish his training. I think there may be at least two major light saber battles. Also Rey will get her training from Luke I think.

I think Snoke will have to be more hands on than Darth SIdious. This series only has Snoke and Kylo Ren as Siths. So I would expect both to make it to the last movie being # 9. It may be that Finn is good at the force too but there is not much evidence to support that.

I expect there to be at least one more star killer base. The First Order is after Luke and now Rey too and so that will continue.

It is difficult to see how Snoke, Kylo Ren, Luke and Rey will die. Snoke and Luke could kill each other or maybe Snoke is left alive and even more injured after the battle that now it is all up to Kylo Ren to defeat Rey at the end of the third movie. I could see that Snoke would want to gain Rey as an apprentice. These new movies may have lots like the original 4 5 and 6 as The Force Awakens was very similar too A New Hope. I think Snoke will kill Luke in the 8th movie and Kylo Ren, Snoke and Rey are left.

It wouldn't surprise me for Rey and Kylo Ren to end up fighting the last fight as Snoke watched. If Kylo Ren is family with Rey that would help Kylo betraying Snoke like Darth Vader did to Darth Sidious. We will have to see if we learn that Kylo Ren and Rey are cousins. The intro states that Luke and Leia are siblings.

I think Rey may make the next two movies without injury. Everyone else will get hurt but she seems to be able to not get hurt when fighting.

Also one thing is that between Luke and Rey there is only one light saber. So they will have to get one more. Maybe the Sith find Luke and Rey as they try to get the parts to create a new light saber for Rey? Both Rey and Kylo Ren will be receiving new training from their masters in the next movie. A meet up is expected from me. I may be that Luke and Rey only have the one light saber. I don't know how that would play out. I like that when Luke and Rey finally put together Rey's light saber they are put into a battle verse Snoke and Kylo Ren. It may be at Luke's secret planet he is hiding at and it is destroyed.

There is Rey and Chewie and also Finn and BB-8 that are traveling around together. Add in Luke and that is a fun team to see in the next movie. It may focus on putting together a new light saber for Rey and both Rey and Kylo Ren getting training. The First Order will probably find the rebels base and destroy it and go after Luke and kill him. I think we will find out about Rey's family and past also. It is now that the Millennium Falcon is Rey's ship. I still don't think it will be destroyed. I think Rey may be rescued from death by Kylo Ren and Snoke by Finn and Chewie on the Millennium Falcon and they escape the starkiller base from destroying the planet they are on. I don't think Rey or Finn or BB-8 will die in these movies.

I wonder what Snoke's light saber looks like as it could be very different then the regular ones. Snoke may have to sabers also. He is small so he might have a very large one. It shows Snoke in a hologram that shows him to be very large yet I fell he will be very small like Yoda. I see Leia dying in the 9th movie as she may try to be a pilot or be on a planet that is destroyed. Chewie might sacrifice his life to complete an important mission that would help the rebels escape or ruin the First Orders plans. I think by the 9th movie it will be that Rey, Finn and BB-8 will be the ones who fly the Millennium Falcon around. It may be that a new starkiller is being created that is better and is complete in the 9th movie. So there would be like the thing of a planet close to being destroyed and rebels in the air and a jedi on the starkiller base to kill the sith and blow up the starkiller base.

Also if you search around online you will read of Snoke being 7 feet tall. Also there are a lot of people saying that Snoke is really Darth Plagueis who Darth Sideous said was his master that he killed but Plagueis was supposed to be able to bring people back to life and prevent death. Also people are saying Plagueis and Snoke look a like. I personally don't think Plagueis and Snoke should be the same person. Snoke was to be female in the beginning also. I think there should be 3 movies that take place before the 1st 2nd and 3rd movies that has Sideous and Plagious as Siths verse Yoda and other Jedi.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:02 pm

General Hux is also an interesting character. He is higher ranked than Kylo Ren and seems to like to up show Ren. It is established that Kylo Ren has a bad temper as he will destroy computers and things when angry. So I see that Kylo will murder General Hux in the 9th movie. I see Hux yelling at Ren and saying how he failed and so Ren kills him. It will probably be at a bad time and one where Snoke needs Hux to help defend the new Starkiller base. It will probably lead to defeat because Hux is so needed.

Captain Phasma seems to just be a joke character. She has shown no ability to fight or do anything. I think she will not do very much. I could see her doing things like a revenge to Rey and Chewie and Finn for capturing her and putting her in a garbage compactor. I see her capturing the heroes but they end up reversing it again. I think she must have something important to do like kill Chewie or Leia. Still she may just be a character that shows no skills and just has the other stormtroopers do everything and then she messes up and loses in a silly way. I really invisioned her as like a Fett bounty hunter character and I feel let down by her lack of fighting.

I see Poe making it to the last movie where he may die in a air fight or he may live it.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:25 am

Went to a great pub called Monk's Cellar and all I could think of was Star Wars... I came up with a fantastic new idea for the future Star Wars movies taking place after episode 9. It is that there would be a Master Sith Lord that would take two apprentices one male and one female and he would train them in the dark arts. The best part would be that they would mate and create children that are born on the Dark Side. The two parents would be a team and fight battles together. There children would be the future of the Dark Side. I also like the idea of the Dark Master sacrificing his body to be canabalized by the two at a point. I think it would be fun to see one of the children turn to the side of Light. Then it would pit both a brother and sister against each other for the fight of all life in the galaxy.

What do people think?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Man, you've got a lot of ideas about where they might go with the trilogy, James. :lol:

Ignoring the expanded universe (since I really don't know much in there anyway), after this film, we know as much about Snoke as we did about Palpatine after episode 4. Just a Sith Master communicating via hologram. He's also the political leader of the bad guys, just like Palpatine. His appearance I thought was rather Potter-esque. I too think it would be hilarious if after seeing his giant hologram, he turns out to be this shrimpy little mo-fo in person. But I'm sure they won't do that, because that's the kind of "fuck you, audience" joke Disney doesn't have the balls to do in such a lucrative franchise.

My one speculation for the future movies has to do with the way we have two heroes who light saber dueled with the bad guy. Up until that point, Rae and Finn could have been thought of as Luke and Han respectively. But because they seem to do about equally as well with that weapon, and based on some other clues, I think that means they both have some Jedi potential. With two possible Jedi candidates, that makes it plausible for a story where Rae and Finn take diverging paths; one towards the light, the other the dark. By the end of the 3rd movie, they're fighting each other. That's my wild shot in the dark.

JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:59 am

One thing I have thought of is what is the Midichlorian Count of all of the new characters. JJ Abrams has said he wouldn’t have medichlorians in these new Star Wars movies yet he has lied before of what content would be in his movies I have read. Here is a list of many characters Midichlorian Counts https://aliensoup.com/threads/midichlor ... -list.186/

So I am thinking that Finn has around 1,500 which is the same as Han Solo. I think that Kylo Ren is up there with maybe with Jacen and Jaina Solo at 9,000. I think Rey is very high in the force. People have said how fast she learned to use the force with mind control and using a light saber. I think she is up there with Yoda and Luke Skywalker as people have said. This would point to me that Snoke must have very high medicholians also but less then Rey and so he will make up with that with his knowledge and skills of the force. So for me I see Finn not being a Jedi and that leaves Luke and Rey verse Kylo Ren and Snoke.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 pm

If I had to rank these films from least favorite to most, it would be like this:

Episode 4: A New Hope
Episode 5: The Empire Strikes back
Episode 7: The Force Awakens
Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
Episode 6: Return of the Jedi
Episode 1: The Phantom menace
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Check out this cat that looks like Adam Driver who is Kylo Ren from Star Wars The Force Awakens

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/entertain ... index.html
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Here's an article that gives a clue that Boba Fett will be in Rogue One
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -cast.aspx

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”