???

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Milo Vonnegut

???

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:11 am

As long as I still have this account available, I have to ask you guys a question. Considering that this forum is essentially now a graveyard, and most having moved onto social media, why do you guys continued to post here?

Don't take this as me bitching about it, I'm asking a genuine question is all.

I hardly post anything, but I think I only occasionally post here out of old habit.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: ???

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:49 am

For me it's because of the slow pace it has now. It remains my third or fourth home even though everyone else has moved on to newer social media.

I expect nall to just remove the BBS within two years, just as he did the chatroom six years ago.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am

Milo Vonnegut wrote:As long as I still have this account available, I have to ask you guys a question. Considering that this forum is essentially now a graveyard, and most having moved onto social media, why do you guys continued to post here?

Don't take this as me bitching about it, I'm asking a genuine question is all.

I hardly post anything, but I think I only occasionally post here out of old habit.
I post here, even though it's dead, to see what news there is on South Park from the main page, and from threads posted here on the site. I like to keep up the countdown timer, to see when the season will start. As no timer is put up yet on the site by Hulu, South Park Digital Studios, and/or nall, I do it.

The Celebrity Death Thread seems to be active, and a few other threads. No one really plays the "win" thread much. The randome thread gets some posts, as does the "What's Up?" thread. I enjoy it here.

Big-Will wrote:For me it's because of the slow pace it has now. It remains my third or fourth home even though everyone else has moved on to newer social media.
Not everyone has moved on to newer social media. There is virtually no privacy on the internet. It is a way of protesting this "no privacy" culture by not consenting to losing my privacy by not having any no social media accounts. I am a little familiar with Facebook, as I did have an account there for awhile, but that was only to participate in a beta South Park chat that ran during the running of the live show a few seasons back.

As for Twitter, I have no account there and still don't get hashtags. The South Park episodes at the end of Season 18, 1809 "#rehash" and particularly 1810 "HappyHolograms" still confuse me, as I don't use hashtags at all irl.

I agree with the holding of The United States Supreme Court case of Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965), where Justice William O. Douglas held that while the U.S. Constitution does not specifically list and state explicitly that citizens of the United States have a right to privacy, there is, nevertheless, a penumbra of rights found in various sections of the Constitution so that in fact means that the right of privacy does exist in the Constitution. So many people now blindly consent to give up many of these rights by going to social media, telling everyone what they're doing, eating, etc., posting photos of where they are, etc. No thanks. I'll pass :)

To keep in touch with friends and relatives, and to send photos to the same, there is email, snail mail, cell phones, and in person meetings. It's true governmental agencies or hackers may read the email, but there the privacy is being revealed without consent. With social media sites you have to consent to their privacy policies, which pretty much mean you're consenting to a loss of your privacy rights.
Big-Will wrote:I expect nall to just remove the BBS within two years, just as he did the chatroom six years ago.
I would agree with this. Then, while no more posts could be made, there is still The WayBack Machine to read some of these threads forever ;)

@Will: Hasn't there been thread titled: "???" over the years? I think there have been some. I wonder why the board allows new threads to be made with titles already in use? Or am I wrong about the title "???" being used before? I can't search the site myself using your US link that you provide in your signature to find such a thread as the search engine (the page where your link takes us) needs more than just three question marks in order to search. Maybe you can search somehow? Or maybe you remember whether there was another thread over the years with the title "???"
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:40 am

A hashtag is just a topic or slogan you can post about, and the posts using that hashtag don't need to be related at all. Like, "Freemium Isn't Free" could use the hashtag #freemiumgames and be about the episode, about how to cheat in freemium games, about how they're better or worse then video games, etc. They don't need threads likes topics do here - you can post to #freemiumgames from your own newsfeed or twitter feed and not know what anyone else is saying under that hashtag unless you click on it. The best comparison, I guess, is this: A thread topic is like a convention, where you all meet in a room and discuss stuff in an orderly fashion. A hashtag is like the spontaneous crowd outside the building, with people holding up signs that could protest abortion, say, but no one is really talking to each other - they're all just protesting whatever's going on in the convention.

As for ???, there might have been other threads in the past with that topic title, but I've probably deleted them. And since search is useless in this case, I'm certainly not getting anywhere trying to find other threads with ??? AS the title. :P (I am seeing ??? IN the title, and ever a user named ???, though)

stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

I still post here, when I have something to say, which isn't really that often. Usually, I just skim the topics to see if anything interests me. If not, I move on.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 pm

I post here from time to time. I don't want to see the BBS go. I love this place.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:37 pm

I thought we were going to get new forum software, not have the forum shut down altogether. Where are fans like us going to discuss everything about the show and life in general in our own little environment without any intervention from the general public, especially trolls?
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 pm

I started posting here because I wanted to add in episode ideas. Now I have gotten a liking to add in and chat about other subjects. It is a pretty nice and accepting place. I have commented at MSN.com for a longer time but people will always say something against what you post and will reply to your post with hate and dislike. Here people are always rather nice. I like that this place is a graveyard as I can usually read all newly added posts everyday. If it was real busy I would still like it here but I would have to probably have my select threads to read and that would be it.

I also would hate to see forums go someday. I would think that there would be a way to have them around even after the show ends. MODS are not really needed too much but people may spam everything or something.
What seems to be the officer problem?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:29 am

nwt000 wrote:I thought we were going to get new forum software, not have the forum shut down altogether. Where are fans like us going to discuss everything about the show and life in general in our own little environment without any intervention from the general public, especially trolls?
If the admins really cared, we'd have had working expressions years ago. Nall promises a new user interface, but GTA has done more on that score all by himself than the paid development team here has.

zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 am

@Will: Thanks for the analogy re: #hashtags. They are starting to make a little more sense now.
Last edited by zzyzx 2 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:29 pm

nwt000 wrote:Where are fans like us going to discuss everything about the show and life in general in our own little environment without any intervention from the general public, especially trolls?
There's always Reddit.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 am

He's been there.
I've been there too. :) I get much of the stuff on my site's FB page from there.

farooq_asad13

Postby farooq_asad13 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 am

Big-Will wrote:He's been there.
I've been there too. :) I get much of the stuff on my site's FB page from there.
yo big-willy-styles, there are things u can do. ask nall to ask his boss to ask matt stone and trey parker to post here, if they do and everything works this forum can be somewhat busy, idk about fun
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 am

farooq_asad13 wrote:
yo big-willy-styles, there are things u can do. ask nall to ask his boss to ask matt stone and trey parker to post here, if they do and everything works this forum can be somewhat busy, idk about fun
In the 14 years this site has been here, Matt and Trey have visited the board many times, but have made it a point not to post here. What makes you think they'll post here in the next five years?

Nall might be able to get Matt to do a chat, but the last one was years ago, and nall got rid of the chatroom.

farooq_asad13

Postby farooq_asad13 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:55 am

Big-Will wrote:
farooq_asad13 wrote:
In the 14 years this site has been here, Matt and Trey have visited the board many times, but have made it a point not to post here. What makes you think they'll post here in the next five years?

Nall might be able to get Matt to do a chat, but the last one was years ago, and nall got rid of the chatroom.
idk it would be nice if they did, theres a lot of their fans visit this site

in a perfect world, without psychology, hacking, and other anarchy you could goto the sp forums and suggest a show, and a lawyer will contact you if they want to put it on the show. sp could run longer then the simpsons, but from what I've seen on sp they really regret the whole privacy issue w/ being famous

just fyi for anyone reading, hackers can hack you very very bad and cause permanent damage sometimes

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”