Question about holidays

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Hannafechik98
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Question about holidays

Postby Hannafechik98 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm

So I have this question. Do people have to be religious to enjoy holidays like Christmas, Easter, Chanukah? Weather they’re Christian or Jewish. The same question would apply to religious shows and movies.
JamesPolo
Posts: 1073
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm
So I have this question. Do people have to be religious to enjoy holidays like Christmas, Easter, Chanukah? Weather they’re Christian or Jewish. The same question would apply to religious shows and movies.
You don't have to be but religion is really the whole point behind them. I'm not Christian but I celebrate Christmas and the like.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:08 am

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm
So I have this question. Do people have to be religious to enjoy holidays like Christmas, Easter, Chanukah? Weather they’re Christian or Jewish.
You have to be if you want to enjoy them properly, the way they should be enjoyed. Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus Christ, Easter is all about his resurrection. None of this Santa Claus and Easter Bunny nonsense.

You don't have to be if you want to enjoy them as most people do now - with Santa, Rudolph, the elves, Frosty the Snowman, the Easter Bunny, the Easter eggs, and so on.

Chanukah is a minor holiday in Judaism, so you don't have to be religious to enjoy it.
Hannafechik98 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm
The same question would apply to religious shows and movies.
You don't have to be, since they're made for a wider audience and can thus serve as ways to see what the holidays mean to believers. This is also why you can attend services but not participate in them.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:54 am

Most religious holidays were co-opted from previous celebrations of now-dead religions. No reason an individual can't be any different. I say celebrate whatever holidays you want. I will absolutely get paid not to work because of a thousand year old holiday turf war. I'm not religious, but if it means a free off day, praise be to Jesus, especially when the 25th lands on a Thursday so we get that floating day off too. ;)
That's my reward for putting up with three months of near total Christmas saturation.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
Hannafechik98
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Hannafechik98 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 am

But there's something that I'm curious about. A question that I'm kind of hesitant about asking. Was Christmas ever meant to be a pagan holiday? I have been reading stuff, including things on the tree, Santa Claus,the romans etc. It seems very "Disturbing". I'm just very curious about a lot of things.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 am

Christmas as we know it today is a purely American invention
Santa Claus's red suit with white trim came fro Coca Cola. Before that, he was St. Nicholas and Father Christmas.
Santa's 8 reindeer came from "A Visit from St. Nicholas," again from the U.S. Santa was an elf in that poem. Before that, he was a wealthy young man who became a bishop centuries before.
Rudolph and Frosty were added later.
The Christmas tree and lights came from the Yule log and from candles people used to put in fir trees in Latvia at least 600 years ago.

Christmas was a holy day of obligation early on, but the date wasn't fixed until the 3rd century. The Church began to study the traditions of other people (not just the Romans) and put Christians meanings to them to make conversion to Christianity easier, but it never meant for the holiday to be pagan - that comes from neo-pagans and from churches who consider the Catholic Church itself pagan.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Hannafechik98
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Hannafechik98 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 am
Christmas as we know it today is a purely American invention
Santa Claus's red suit with white trim came fro Coca Cola. Before that, he was St. Nicholas and Father Christmas.
Santa's 8 reindeer came from "A Visit from St. Nicholas," again from the U.S. Santa was an elf in that poem. Before that, he was a wealthy young man who became a bishop centuries before.
Rudolph and Frosty were added later.
The Christmas tree and lights came from the Yule log and from candles people used to put in fir trees in Latvia at least 600 years ago.

Christmas was a holy day of obligation early on, but the date wasn't fixed until the 3rd century. The Church began to study the traditions of other people (not just the Romans) and put Christians meanings to them to make conversion to Christianity easier, but it never meant for the holiday to be pagan - that comes from neo-pagans and from churches who consider the Catholic Church itself pagan.
Santa Claus did originate in the Netherlands, didn’t he?
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm
Santa Claus did originate in the Netherlands, didn’t he?
Sinterklaas did. He became Santa Claus here in the U.S. Both names are based on St. Nicholas of Myra, now in modern-day Turkey. St. Nicholas is the patron saint of children.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Hannafechik98
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Hannafechik98 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Then there’s this really controversial Christmas tradition celebrated in the Netherlands.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3336142
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Then there’s this really controversial Christmas tradition celebrated in the Netherlands.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3336142
That's a recent development. Black Petes are supposed to be Santa's helpers in either giving gifts to good kids or punishing bad ones to the point of threatening to ship them off to Spain. This punishment refers to the time in European history when Barbary pirates would raid European coasts to get white slaves. These days, that Black Petes are black is probably due to all the soot they accumulate coming down chimneys and going back up (Santa Claus does not have this problem). He's still a Moor, which doesn't mean he's black, but blackface is a bad thing these days.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Hannafechik98
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Question about holidays

Postby Hannafechik98 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 am

Who would ever ship a child to Spain? Weather or not they are bad behaved.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests