Postby Frederick j thompson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:32 am

1. computer technology is driven by warfare
2. most of our technology comes from world war 2
3. ?????
4. more technology
JamesPolo

Re: ok, I think I'm on to something

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 am

True but humanity has advanced far from WWII tech. We now have satellites and most internet is done on cell phones. War is a perfect stepping stone to future tech invention. Yet the Left has tried to get rid on interstate warfare. Now its mainly civil war. Still it provides a playground of future tech to be tested.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
triplemultiplex

Re: ok, I think I'm on to something

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:56 am

You only think that because you are an American. America did not need to suffer the consequences of fighting World War II in their homeland. Our population centers were not bombed. Foreign armies didn't march across our lands. American civilians were not rounded up en masse and executed. We did not have to spend the next 20 years rebuilding everything from scratch.

The post-war boom for the United States was a massive historical anomaly that can probably never be repeated. Through geographic isolation and primitive long distance transportation technology, the US was the only major economy in the world left basically unscathed by the war. The lack of competition had far reaching consequences for America and the world. The whole idea of the United States as the "World Police" ( ;) ) has its roots in this accident of history.

We had the dumb luck of that war happening at a point in history where when everyone has basically the same military technology, you could still only easily attack countries quite near you. So the US was free to churn out as much material as needed unfettered. That world is gone.

Countries with similar enough military technology to pose the kind of existential threat that existed in the 1940's can easily reach anywhere in each others territory with weapons of mass destruction. Geography cannot protect anyone anymore. If one wants a WWII level threat to the United States in order to drive innovation, know that such a war will hurt us this time. Bad.
Good luck reaping the benefits of war technology when all your major cities are radioactive wastelands.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”