Survey for English Project (Please help out and vote)

Have a poll? Post it here, and keep all the other forums clean of tons of poll threads!

Moderator: Big-Will

Should Pot be legalized?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 29
Sizzling Lynn

Survey for English Project (Please help out and vote)

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 pm

Kay, my final English mark depends on this thing being done so I'm really serious when I say this - stay on topic and please no flame wars. If you want to help out, explain your opinion, don't just say brief, unintellectual stuff like "Drugs are bad, mmkay." or "4:20 w00!" or...yeah, you get the idea.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm

The effects of weed are no different to those of alcohol.
Email notifications do matter, people.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 pm

I could care less either way...i don't really actively support it, but i don't have anything against those who do that kinda stuff.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Wed May 23, 2007 8:37 pm

I fail to see how pot is any worse than smoking or drinking.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 pm

The argument that it isn't any worse than smoking or drinking is not exactly a point for pot. Just because some things that are bad for you are legal doesn't mean we must make everything that is comparable legal.
Cannabis is known to act on the hippocampus and impair short term memory and attention for the duration of its effects and in some cases for the next day.
Forgetfulness
Laziness
Distorted perception
Trouble with concentration
Paranoia
Increased heart rate
Dry mouth and throat
Increased appetite
These are bad.

HOWEVER, pot has some uses:
In the long term, some studies point to enhancement of particular types of memory. Cannabis was found to be neuroprotective against excitotoxicity and is therefore beneficial for the prevention of progressive degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's disease.

So, should it be legalized for public use, ala I go to the pot store and buy ten joints? No.
But, medical Mary Jane is fine by me.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed May 23, 2007 9:09 pm

But weed's not addictive and hasn't been known to kill anyone, unlike alcohol and tobacco.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed May 23, 2007 9:22 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:But weed's not addictive and hasn't been known to kill anyone, unlike alcohol and tobacco.

Neither has public masturbation.
Doesn't mean we should legalize it.
(BTW, no one go ahead and try to pull an article where something bad happed to someone WHILE masturbating.XD)
Cannabis is currently recognized as a psychologically addictive drug. There is no cannabis withdrawal disorder in the DSM-IV, but studies have demonstrated that cannabis use can induce withdrawal symptoms similar to other drugs with recognized physical dependence. Cannabis withdrawal symptoms are similar in magnitude and time-course to the well-established tobacco withdrawal syndrome.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed May 23, 2007 9:33 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:Cannabis is currently recognized as a psychologically addictive drug. There is no cannabis withdrawal disorder in the DSM-IV, but studies have demonstrated that cannabis use can induce withdrawal symptoms similar to other drugs with recognized physical dependence. Cannabis withdrawal symptoms are similar in magnitude and time-course to the well-established tobacco withdrawal syndrome.

And that's probably because the people who experience tobacco-style withdrawal symptoms after smoking weed probably haven't smoked tobacco before and have probably smoked their weed cut with tobacco.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Wed May 23, 2007 9:38 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:Cannabis is known to act on the hippocampus and impair short term memory and attention for the duration of its effects and in some cases for the next day.

And here's a site listing the effects of excess alcohol consumption. What's listed there is far worse than what you list, so your specific argument falls flat. Would you argue that alcohol should be banned too because it can actually cause death?

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed May 23, 2007 9:45 pm

O'Brien wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:Cannabis is known to act on the hippocampus and impair short term memory and attention for the duration of its effects and in some cases for the next day.

And here's a site listing the effects of excess alcohol consumption. What's listed there is far worse than what you list, so your specific argument falls flat. Would you argue that alcohol should be banned too because it can actually cause death?

Like I said, alcohol IS BAD. Smoking IS BAD. Pot IS BAD. Guess what? The question is: Should POT be legalized? The answer is no. Just because things that are bad are legalized doesn't mean we should legalize it all. I never said alcohol was better or that smoking was better than pot. I'd be far more scared of my kid lighting up some Marlbro Reds or downing some Bud than if he smoked a joint. But, I'd still be scared.

ABS: Under that same line of thinking, I could say pot smokers who say pot isn't as bad as smoking or alcohol haven't smoked the death sticks nor drank alcohol. It's irrelevant to the topic as it frolics off into irrationalization of facts in order to shade them differently.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:Under that same line of thinking, I could say pot smokers who say pot isn't as bad as smoking or alcohol haven't smoked the death sticks nor drank alcohol.

But the majority have. And as a side note, I have never smoked a single tobacco cigarette, but I've had plenty of the herbals.

I was not changing the subject, I was merely offering an explanation for a bullsh*t weed side-effect argument.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:Under that same line of thinking, I could say pot smokers who say pot isn't as bad as smoking or alcohol haven't smoked the death sticks nor drank alcohol.

But the majority have. And as a side note, I have never smoked a single tobacco cigarette, but I've had plenty of the herbals.

I was not changing the subject, I was merely offering an explanation for a bullsh*t weed side-effect argument.

It was still an irrationalization of facts in order to shade them differently. It may be an explanation, but then again, my reply has the same sort of validity as your original post did. Hence, neither irrationalization makes sense. That was the point.
And tell me how proven facts are bullsh*t. I'm all ears.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed May 23, 2007 10:17 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:
albino.black.sheep wrote:

It was still an irrationalization of facts in order to shade them differently. It may be an explanation, but then again, my reply has the same sort of validity as your original post did. Hence, neither irrationalization makes sense. That was the point.
And tell me how proven facts are bullsh*t. I'm all ears.

First of all, where's the proof for these "facts"? Secondly, have you even tried weed?
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Wed May 23, 2007 10:21 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:Like I said, alcohol IS BAD. Smoking IS BAD. Pot IS BAD. Guess what? The question is: Should POT be legalized? The answer is no. Just because things that are bad are legalized doesn't mean we should legalize it all. I never said alcohol was better or that smoking was better than pot. I'd be far more scared of my kid lighting up some Marlbro Reds or downing some Bud than if he smoked a joint. But, I'd still be scared.

Is there a logical reason why pot should still be illegal while smoking and alcohol remain legal? Or do you assume that pot shouldn't be allowed merely because you buy into the stigma developed by a poorly-informed society? If you want the law to be applied consistently and not haphazardly, it must either legalize pot or ban alcohol and smoking. Which sounds like the better decision? :|

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed May 23, 2007 10:24 pm

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Qvog_EgapAgJ:www.uvm.edu/~rwebber/psych223/materials/223_presentation.ppt+Cannabis+withdrawal+symptoms+are+similar+in+magnitude+and+time-course+to+the+well-established+tobacco+withdrawal+syndrome.&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
No, I haven't. But if we wanted to go down that road- that since I haven't tried it I can't have an opinion or be right, and since you have your opinion is therefore better and you are right- then I will go and find a bunch of smokers and drinkers who don't see the harm in their actions.

*The link is supposed to powerpointed, but the library sucks. if you can do it, swell!*

Return to “Polls”