Survey for English Project (Please help out and vote)

Have a poll? Post it here, and keep all the other forums clean of tons of poll threads!

Moderator: Big-Will

Should Pot be legalized?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 29
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 pm

I've been taking an art hitstory class and we've been styding about cave art. They've got a new theory that says that these paintings were a result of a "trance" (or so they call it. I think I'd call it "high") where the artist halucenates things (sorry for butchering the spelling) Cave art was revoltionary in that people were drawing 2-D things for the first time. In my opinion, a lot of good ideas were probably inspired when people were high. I think if people could be responible enough to handle such things, legalizing pot could bring about a lot of new ideas. he he he! I've gotten some pretty good ideas from being high myself!
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:51 pm

I voted yes. As long as it is only used to a certain extent and treated more like alchohol, then I don't see much of a problem with it.
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Sat May 26, 2007 4:35 am

I voted yes because I believe there are less problems with pot than with alcohol. Yes, call me crazy, or a pothead, or both but this is what I believe.

Note.. I am NOT a pothead..
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Sat May 26, 2007 5:36 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Nobody has ever died from marijuana. It's simply not toxic enough. Meanwhile, it has proven medical benefits as an analgesic, antiemetic, and appetite stimulant, among other things.

I'm against prohibition for the simple reason that it does not work. If you live in a free society, you ought to have the right to put whatever you want into your own body. The War on Drugs is nothing but a multi-billion dollar waste of money that makes drugs more profitable and readily available, ties up the legal system on every level, and lands non-violent offenders in jail.

Marijuana should be decriminalized, regulated like any other prescription drug, taxed like cigarettes, and be given the same restrictions as alcohol. Of course it has side effects. Every drug has side effects. However, the reason people use drugs is because they work.

Also, I know it's already been said, but there are plenty of drugs available that are more dangerous than marijuana. Alcohol and tobacco are the most commonly abused, and they kill more people every year than any other substances. OTC and prescription drugs can be easily abused to get high, and there are many people who do just that. It's a double standard to think that cannabis should remain illegal while these drugs should not.

The claim that marijuana is a gateway drug to abuse of much harder drugs is completely unsubstantiated. The two drugs most people start abusing are, again, alcohol and tobacco. Very few marijuana users end up on other drugs. For those who claim that legalizing marijuana would encourage more people to start abusing it, that's no different from saying that you would readily start doing it yourself if only it weren't illegal.

THANK YOU. Finally there's someone else on this board who seems to understand marijuana as much as I do. I like to feel good, and pot won't hurt me, so there's nothing wrong with a few bong hits every once in a while (I don't smoke marijuana cigarettes though). Jesus, in science marijuana has nothing at all to do with the likes of heroin, cocaine, and all those other nasty drugs. It doesn't make any sense. Weed isn't bad for your body, and it's certainly good for your happiness and state of mind. 8-)
As enjoyable as abuse.
Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Mon May 28, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet - there are many different uses for marijuana other than smoking it. Hemp is used for making clothing as well as paper, different foods, lotions, and even glass. So why cut down the trees? Save the forest, legalize hemp! =P
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:36 pm

I haven’t thoroughly read through this thread, and I never really explained my pro-vote besides saying I could care less either way. So here’s my views. :P

Anything can be dangerous if abused the right way. Alcohol can be used for recreation, so can pot. Alcohol can be dangerous in large excessive amounts, as is pot.

Plus also its legalization could possibly help the economy a bit. Think about it. The retail stores could be making money off of it instead of those shady drug dealers who overprice everything and give none of their profits to the community. One less thing that those asses could make money on.

I don’t personally encourage its use, but I can see how it can benefit things. I don’t have anything against those who smoke it, I just don’t actively support it. I wouldn’t boycott it.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Thunderhorse

Postby Thunderhorse » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 pm

I'm pretty much impartial to the subject. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm not saying I won't either. I have plenty of friends who are pot-heads, and plenty of anti-drug friends. If I had to choose a side, then I say legalize it. Let people do what makes them happy as long as it's not going over the line.
ClydesGirl

Postby ClydesGirl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm

We already have alcohol and smoking, why should we legalize pot too?
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:47 pm

For reasons I already mentioned in my first post. Statistically speaking, it's far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, and unlike them, it actually has proven medical applications.

Ritalin, a drug often prescribed to kids, can be just as dangerous as cocaine if misused, yet it's perfectly legal and available by prescription, whereas cannabis is not.
dutchy0

Postby dutchy0 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:42 am

Ok guys here is my opinion:

I live in holland and pot is legal here, maybe some of you know this. You can buy it here in the local coffee shop and use it. First i thought this legalisation would lead to more users in holland, but this isn't true. The usage is the same and most of the cannabisdealers are gone now. So I think it's a good thing to legalise it.

I sometimes use cannabis in the weekends, but definately not juring school or work. if you go to school you have to learn something and while I'm stoned or high i can't consentrate.

I think peaple should be able to choose what to use, cause banning some kind of drug causes usage of it by young and curious peaple. So if peaple say ''it is bad'' like peaple say in the forem, I think they don't what there talking about. I bet they haven't even used it.

And drinking alcohol is worse then use cannabis. Cause alcohol destroys your body and brain if you drink to much. THC doesn't destroy anything, but if you smoke pot you get the same affects as smoking a sigaret. Only if you eat THC in a cake or something It is not bad for your health.

So I think you should legelise it in your country, but you have to aducate young kids what the affects are.
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:06 pm

I voted yes. It's not anyone else's right to tell people what they ought to stick in their bodies, as long as it's not hurting anyone else. Besides, pot isn't addictive anyway.. and, as KtS said, people can benefit medically from it as well. Honestly, I don't see how pot is more harmful than tobacco or alcohol.

Mr. Hat also brought up a good point: Anything can be harmful if you abuse it. It's true. I mean.. should we ban everything that comes in a spray can because you can huff certain substances from them? Or not allow kids to use scissors in school because they can stab people with them? Just tell the kids not to run with scissors, that's all.

And no, I don't do drugs, nor do I smoke or drink. It's not like I'm saying "HEY EVRYONE GO SM0KE T3H W33DZ LAWLZERS!!!!" Just.. don't tell me what to do, and I won't tell YOU what to do, either.
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
B*e*c*k*o

Postby B*e*c*k*o » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:11 am

First of all, where's the proof for these "facts"? Secondly, have you even tried weed?[/quote]

The proof of the facts are in scientific research. not that im saying that pot is bad, no it isnt. People who use pot to an extreme extent, or to the point where they are baked out of their minds make the drug bad. No matter what harmful affects it may have, they do not neccessarily affect all people. People who use the drug are aware of the effects and understand them.
Also, most (im not saying all) people are doing drugs to rebel or escape. If they had the chance to smoke it from the start, there would be a lot less people smoking it in the first place. The desire to rebel against something because it is illegal, gives the person a bigger rush. Knowing that what they are doing is perfectly okay, does not necessarily deter them but it does help to
gigglingstoner14

pot

Postby gigglingstoner14 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:12 am

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it doesn't work for weed. Every year, thousands of nonviolent offenders are sent to jail for this victimless crime. The government needs to get its head out of its ass and quit legislating freedom!
talkjawking100

Postby talkjawking100 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Pot may not kill you, and all the warnings may be exaggerated, yada yada yada, but the bottom line is, have any of you met "permastoners"? AKA People who smoke so much they're permanently high? They're some of the stupidest and most annoying people on the planet. If pot was legalized, the whole country would be full of those losers.

It's like in the episode, "My Future Self N' Me," pot may not kill you, but it slows down your progress in life and makes you wanna just sit around being dumb all day.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Save the whales, motherf--ker.
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 am

I've never in my life smoked pot, nor do I ever plan to.
However, that doesn't mean I'm not (violently) against these laws, and the government's propaganda machine, for more reasons than I coul ever list (in one message).
Like most laws, those against mahruanah (and so many other psychotrophic drugs) are not only inefective at stopping the problem, but make it millions (and I mean millions) of times worse.
Everyone knows the (limited) legalisatipon hasn't ruined the netherlands (it's caused some problems, but only cause it's limmited, thus creating ANOTHER complication in the law), certainly not in the way prohibition (of alcohol, which has a far higher mortality rate than speed or LSD) ruined America in the 20's. It was education on moderation that saved the USA from alcoholism, and this'll be what saves our kids from the dangerous side of drugs.
Without these laws, safety regulations would come into force upon drugs as the manufacturors would be acountable if someone Overdosed or got badly cut drugs (the cause of most problems), making even meth safe for the avarage consumer.
Reserch would be opened up into new medicines, and into less adictive veriations of the drugs currently on the market.
Criminal cartells wouldn't be able to form if manopoly laws applied to drugs, and of course if the companies selling drugs could settle differences in the courts instead of on the streets.
The tax revenue argument's been tried so hard it's boring now, but do you realise how much money the first world wastes locking up drug users and dealers, giving them crimin al records in the process thus DOOMING them to a LIFE of crime; more than enough to give America two NHS services.
Why is it that psychiatrists are allowed to sell psychotrophic drugs to 'cure' diesieses they have, let me see now, NO evidence actually exist (such as schizophrenia) beyonde the fact that the other person acts strange, even when these drugs are illegal for 'sane' people's usage? And unless native americans have a totally different physiology to every other race and are some sdifferent spiecies or somethig are drugs illegal for every other race legal for their usage?
Why are there so many completely legal drugs (look at http://uncletaz.com/marijuana/legalhigh.html for a list of them) far more potent, or even the same drugs made from a different plant, legal, when some harmless drugs like LSD are not- is it by chance political pressure and not scientific facts that cause this?
Why is the fact that cannabis is an anti-psychotic (and therefore used by many schizophrenics too afraid of diagnosis with a lable that ruins lives to see a shrink and get 'propper' drugs to cure their deeper problems) never mentioned when figures come out to 'show' canabis causes schizophrenia later in life?
Drugs (along with psychological problems that don't exist outside of psychiatrist's minds) are used as scapegoats for the failed society in which we live; instead of tackling the real problems that cause people to take drugs (or have mental problems), the government uses it's deamonised sock puppet to take the fall, allowing crime to continue unabated.

Return to “Polls”