Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Have a poll? Post it here, and keep all the other forums clean of tons of poll threads!

Moderator: Big-Will

Twenty-ten or two-thousand-ten?

Twenty-ten
13
48%
Two-thousand-ten
14
52%
 
Total votes: 27
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby BRMBug » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Well hell, Doc Brown calls it "twenty-fifteen", so maybe "twenty-ten" would be better. I just think that "two thousand ten" or "two thousand and ten sounds more... betterer. I don't know.
Wii fit man
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:29 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:How would you say "the year 1010"?
One Thousand And Ten, duh.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
gtaca2005
Posts: 3915
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:11 am

Wii fit man wrote:
gtaca2005 wrote:How would you say "the year 1010"?
One Thousand And Ten, duh.

TEN-TEN
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
AxayPaulene
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby AxayPaulene » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 am

Maybe I pronounce it as "twenty-ten" because of all those Canadian commercials promoting " Vancouver twenty-ten"...
R.I.P Pip: 1989 - 2010
Πιστεύω σε σας

Pull your fucking pants up!
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6116
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm going to get in the habit of saying "twenty-ten" because years from now, I am not going to be referring to "two thousand twenty-seven" or "two thousand thirty-one." That's too many syllables, dude. Saying the "two thousand" was fine for the oughts, but now it's all about the "twenty".
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby BRMBug » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am

Let's just call it "The Taints" and be done with it.
GrandTheftAutoHater
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:54 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby GrandTheftAutoHater » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 am

LONGHAND
Two Thousand Ten: In my opinion, the better of the two. Foreign languages often call years just like they do other instances of that number. In Espanol and Nihongo for example, their pronunciation of the year "1967" literally translates as "One thousand nine hundred sixty seven". Such should be the case with most years in this century. An exception is 2007 (what's left if you remove the two?)
Twenty Ten: If you ask me, this pronunciation implies that it's the 10th sub-unit of some great 20th unit. I doubt South Park will have an episode with production code 2010, but in this case, that could viably be pronounced "Twenty Ten" because it's season 20, episode 10.
Two Zero One Zero: Not everyone will notice this, but one might as well never see a year written out in letters. You always see it as four numbers, omitting punctuation marks.

SHORTHAND
Ten: Doesn't this sound a bit too vague to you? For example: "Back in Ten, South Park held its 200th episode". "Back in ten..." could mean 1910, or 2010, or returning in ten minutes, among other things.
O-Ten: Numbered as '010, I believe this is a better way to abbreviate it in speech (and possibly hand-writing). I know you might be thinking "I'm not used to this" or "it's weird", but I have at least one counterargument, including: While 1910 (the previous year ending with 10) is very well documented and recorded and is therefore harder to distinguish from 2010, the year 1010 (the previous year ending with 010) is not. "Back in the spring of '010" sounds much more distinct than "the spring of '10".
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 am

Interesting bump in this thread.

BRMBug wrote:Well hell, Doc Brown calls it "twenty-fifteen", so maybe "twenty-ten" would be better. I just think that "two thousand ten" or "two thousand and ten sounds more... betterer. I don't know.


Well, Doc Brown said that line in a 1980's movie. At that time in our history, the norm was: ninteen-eighty. So a script writer would naturally write: twenty-fifteen, as that script writer hadn't lived through the years 2000 through 2009 yet :mrgreen:

Anyways, In the 1900's, between 1901 and 1909, they said: '03 or '04 as in the San Francisco Earthquake of '06 or that Theodore Roosevelt became President in '01. That's because no one said: Nineteen oh-one or one thousand nine hundred and one.

But the year 2,000 was different. As in the the year nineteen hundred, no one said the year twenty hundred. Everyone said "the year two thousand."

And that continued through 2009. But now it's 2010. What to call it? Two thousand ten or twenty ten?

Well, in 90 years, the convention of the last several hundred years will return: 2110 will be twenty one ten imo. But for the next 90 years, I think both are correct: twenty ten or two thousand ten. Just deal with it because life is too short - say the year anyway you want, and move on to why you are even mentioning the year.

If the topic is getting your drivers license, for example, just say: In twenty twelve (or two thousand twelve) I am getting my drivers license. The most important part of the sentence is NOT 2012, but that you are getting your drivers license.

People, it doesn't matter during the next 90 years what we call the year. No matter how we say it, the person we are saying it to will understand. Future generations will have to deal with this issue after the turn of the next century, but for us, in all of our lifetimes, from the newborn to those 80 or older - we are in the unique position to have this ambiguity in how to state the current year.

Enjoy it! Future generations won't have this problem until the calendar reads the year three thousand in the 31st century :wink:

As for me, it's twenty ten or two thousand ten depending on my mood. This is a non-issue during the 21st century.

btw, this poll doesn't work :? So many times I voted for the second option, twenty-ten, and it keeps saying that my vote was cast, then it allows me to vote again. But the tally doesn't go up with each vote. Something's wrong :?
Niels0827
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:51 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Niels0827 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 am

Twenty-Ten.

It actually almost irks me when people say "Two-Thousand Ten". Save yourself a syllable. I tell people I was born in Nineteen Eighty Seven, not One Thousand Nine Hundred Eighty Seven, and not MCMLXXXVII. I doubt most people are going to be saying "Two-thousand twenty" when that time comes.
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

My vote for twenty ten still won't take :? It says that my vote was cast, but it lets me vote again. And my vote never tallies. Oh well.

Yes, I think I'll say two thousand twenty in 2020. Twenty Twenty sounds too much like an eye exam :P

Note: If this thread still exists in the year 2020, in fact if SPS still exists in 2020 and if I think of it then, I'll edit this post to reflect what I actually am saying in the year 2020 8)
Stanluv25
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Stanluv25 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 pm

two-thousand-ten for me. Twenty-ten sounds too, I dunno, hip, modern. I hate modern things. I can be pretty old school and so I like saying two-thousand-ten. :)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Niels0827
Posts: 4302
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:51 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 am

Stanluv25 wrote:two-thousand-ten for me. Twenty-ten sounds too, I dunno, hip, modern. I hate modern things. I can be pretty old school and so I like saying two-thousand-ten. :)


I can't say I know what you mean.

I'm as old-school as it gets. I listen to vinyl records, cassettes, 8-tracks, and VHS cassettes instead of CDs, Blu-Rays, and DVDs. My television is from 1988 and my radio is from 1983. My cars are all over 30 years old. I hate new music and television shows. Most of the computer and video games I play are from the 1980s and 1990s. I have a very old cellphone [which I really only have because I need it for work] and don't have an iPod, iPad, iMac, iPhone, or even a portable GPS system. Some people tell me I have a '70s or '80s look because of my hair and the fact that I usually only wear a t-shirt and pants instead of making a fashion statement. I even use needles for my insulin instead of an electronic insulin pump.

But I say "twenty-ten".
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18815
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Stanluv25 wrote:two-thousand-ten for me. Twenty-ten sounds too, I dunno, hip, modern. I hate modern things. I can be pretty old school and so I like saying two-thousand-ten. :)

bullsh*t. If you have no problem saying nineteen ninety, you should have no problem saying twenty ten. If you go around saying one thousand nine hundred and ninety seven, say, THEN you're old school. :P
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Starchild91
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby Starchild91 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:51 pm

I say two-thousand-and-ten.

I've been wanting to change to twenty-ten, but rarely anyone say it like that here, and to be honest I don't mind saying two-thousand-and-ten. When we start getting to two-thousand-and-twenty-seven it might be a problem... But the numbers from 10 to 20 are quite simple, so it's not like a big problem or anything.

But as twenty-ten(/twenty-anything) gets more common, and I am sure it will soon, it will rub off on me too. But I'm not gonna suddenly change something I've been saying for 10 years because we have started on a new calendar year.

Dean Winchester: Cherub?
Castiel: Yeah, they're all over the world. There are dozens of them.
Dean Winchester: You mean the little, flying, fat kids in diapers?
Castiel: They're not incontinent.
dvda92
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 7:53 am

Re: Twenty-ten or Two-thousand-ten?

Postby dvda92 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 pm

In English I say twenty-ten.

In German I say Zweitausendzehn (twothousand-ten) simply because nobody says zwanzig-zehn (twenty-ten). Maybe some people say it but TBH I've never heard anyone in my life saying it like that.

Return to “Polls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests