Volume inconsitancy on S7 DVD?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:18 pm

3 People Parking1019 wrote:did any of ya'll also notice that they never change the theme song for the second half of season 7? from "south park is gay" and on, the theme song is supposed to have new pictures and stuff, but they keep the same one the whole dvd. any one else notice?

Yay I'm not the only geek who noticed! If you look further up in this thread to where I posted the letter I wrote to Paramount about the audio problem, you'll see I also took the time to mention that. I figure if enough people write in about the audio problem that they decide to fix it, maybe they'll fix the opening while they're at it. My presumption is that it happened because S7 was the first to separate the opening from the first act with a commercial break, which I suppose means each episode's opening has to be programmed onto the DVD by itself. Maybe to save time (like they didn't have months...) they just programmed it onto the DVDs 15 times from the same one source tape, not realizing it should change halfway through the season.
ICS

Postby ICS » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:16 am

while im happy to see that i didnt get a bum copy it does suck that every collection has the sound problems. was very surprised about this as all the others have worked fine for me. i figure i might write a letter too, who knows, might work, doubt it.
knowledge without follow-through is worse then no knowledge at all - Bukowski
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:07 am

ICS wrote:while I'm happy to see that i didnt get a bum copy it does suck that every collection has the sound problems. was very surprised about this as all the others have worked fine for me. i figure i might write a letter too, who knows, might work, doubt it.

Whether you "doubt it" or not, what I DON'T doubt is that nothing will be done if letters aren't written. So... I say write in.
mtdman

Postby mtdman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:09 am

Is there an email I can write to?
Locked Threads Suck
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:56 pm

mtdman wrote:Is there an email I can write to?

Nah, I checked Paramount's site. They only have a snail mail address and a phone number. Send a written letter to

Paramount Pictures
ATTN: Home Entertainment Dept.
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

Anyway, even if they DID have an email address, I think snail mail gets more attention. Psychologically, I think people find it easier to ignore emails than to ignore an actual letter because someone took the time to send it out old-fashioned.
timmy1492

Postby timmy1492 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:10 pm

JDG,

just got the sp7 dvd and listened to the first few minutes of kanceleled. didn't hear the volume inconsistencies.

then i checked my panasonics settings and switched 'dialog normalization' to 'ON', and heard EXACTLY what you were describing. opening music dippiing and then getting louder, etc.

turned my panasonic back to 'dialog normalization' OFF, and all was weel.

YMMV, but it should work on all dvd players that have that setting. i usually leave mine off because it always does more harm than good.

good luck
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:00 pm

Hmmm, I'm away from home til Wednesday, but I'll check my DVD player's settings when I get back and see whether that's the problem.
ICS

Postby ICS » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:15 pm

wether it works or not i'll be making my displeasure known.
knowledge without follow-through is worse then no knowledge at all - Bukowski
rabidpenguin

Postby rabidpenguin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am

The listing on my box is also out of order but the actual DVD is in order. Plus, this is only the first DVD.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:10 am

rabidpenguin wrote:The listing on my box is also out of order but the actual DVD is in order. Plus, this is only the first DVD.

No it's not. "Cancelled" really is 704 and "I'm a Little Bit Country" really is 701. The production numbers refer to the order the episodes were written, not the order they aired. Every season with the exception of Seasons 2 and 9 have aired episodes out of production number order.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:00 pm

JDG128 wrote:Hmmm, I'm away from home til Wednesday, but I'll check my DVD player's settings when I get back and see whether that's the problem.

Well, I've now checked and adjusting my Sony player's audio settings did nothing to solve the problem for me. Oh well.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi,

Anyone care to give us an explicit place of listings (time X in episode Y) where they've experienced problems?
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Nice, a site admin asking for more info! Sounds promising. Unfortunately, I'm away from home (and my Season 7 DVDs) until Tuesday night, but to get you off to a start, off the top of my head, in 704 when Cartman starts telling the boys about his abduction, the low whirring sounds of the alien ship makes Cartman's dialogue drop down. In the same episode, when Chef & the boys are at the lab with Jeff Goldblum and the lights go out as the aliens arrive and crash in through the windows. When the low rumbling of their approach kicks in, the audio sinks down. In 705, when Cartman's hand J.Lo is singing at the start of (I believe) Act 3, her singing is overshadowed by the music. In all instances, whether it's from music like in 705, or ambient sounds like in 704, it's always low bass sounds that cause the dialogue audio to drop out.

Between Tuesday and Sunday, I'll gladly try to compile a complete list of places where this happens with actual time listings. In the meantime, if anyone else would care to add to this thread more places where the audio drops out, go ahead.

There's also the (relatively minor) matter of the missing opening titles change. The opening titles for 708-715 are supposed to be different from those for 701-707, but on the DVDs, that change never happens.
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:11 am

JDG128 wrote:Nice, a site admin asking for more info! Sounds promising.

A site admin wouldn't know about a problem on the DVD...
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:23 am

airmancoop44 wrote:
JDG128 wrote:Nice, a site admin asking for more info! Sounds promising.

A site admin wouldn't know about a problem on the DVD...

Did you not read the site admin's post I was replying to?

nall wrote:[Hi,

Anyone care to give us an explicit place of listings (time X in episode Y) where they've experienced problems?

If a site admin from the show's official site is asking for a detailed listing of where the audio fluctuates on the DVDs, I have to think it's for a reason. Maybe enough people sent questions to the FAQ about it and they came on the boards to find out more and then pass the info on to someone else. I doubt they're doing it for fun.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”