Everyone Needs To Read This: You're Missing The Points

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

cowybuga

Everyone Needs To Read This: You're Missing The Points

Postby cowybuga » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:00 am

READ THIS:

Why is it that nearly every comment on this board is so bland and inattentive to the show’s meaning? South Park has taken the most original path of evolution in the history of cartoons, comedies, and dare I even say TV shows. I think every new episode is one of their best. The shows success has been a straight 45 degree uphill climb in it’s quality, meaning, story structure, character development, etc. and consciousness of it’s self and its power. All the new episodes have been deep social commentaries written in their own unique well structured form presenting a third, logical point of view on mainstream controversies. They definitely have mastered the art of script writing (one of my favorite aspects) and storytelling. For those of us who have been watching since the beginning, we have seen the characters grow into firm ruminations in our minds. Now with such a sturdy foundation, they can do whatever they want with the show. And every week they argue both sides to the main issues of today’s society, making sure to point out how stupid people act. The mass crowd represents society, and it’s up to you to choose what side of the line than separates the boys you stand on.
The point(s) South Park is making in “Cartoon Wars” about Family Guy is in the comparisons of their humor. 1.) They know they insult people to no end, but they also have good reason and adamantly state their case. Family Guy for example, just makes insults for whatever random reason one could possibly find a justification for. “Oh yeah, I guess Tom Danson does sorta have a big forehead. (joke continues) Ha, I guess he can’t get laid by her for some Hollywood reason I’m not filled in on.” Half the time people don’t even know why they’re laughing. 2.) South Park is awake and fully conscious of its power, and uses that power to inform others. The viewers who look past the crudeness can see the moral messages presented. 3.) Its just not cool to produce something you know could possibly cause any citizen harmed. “Ugh, what about the Jew jokes and the Black and KKK, and blah blah blah.” Yeah, that’s all bad, but if you watch, the show points out everyone making those racist or ignorant remarks as stupid, uninformed and misguided. They believe, and agree Family Guy believes, freedom of speech is one of the most important values of our country, but you can’t just make a careless insult on a religion who have such a powerful split-opinion on America. If you want to make a statement on national television, you’ve got to have a damn good reason.
I just don’t understand why everyone isn’t discussing the meaning of the shows. Nearly every post is so arbitrary and thoughtless is can’t understand why I’m still reading. You guys should start a new forum for the discussion of each episodes meaning. Its so f*cking awesome when you really watch it.

-Brock

NOTE: I’m joining a Family Guy forum and posting this there as well.

If anyone from the South Park staff reads this, please email me. I really identify with your show and am very creative, intelligent, etc. I know they all say that. Really you just have to talk to me. I’m driving West soon with absolutely no plan, place, $ etc. I would get coffee all day for free, just anything to actually talk to someone. I know you would never normally do this, but seriously, please just take a chance. I won't tell anyone.
bspady@gmu.edu
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:48 am

Well said. 8)
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Gothic_Butters

Postby Gothic_Butters » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:55 am

...... what the hell does "rumination" mean? :?
I R Smart

Postby I R Smart » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Nice Little piece!
Ive also noticed the show grow up and mature with every season and every episode even. Everytime i watch a new SP episode im surprised all over again. Not to mention their contention. like you said, they present both sides and then show their own opinion of it and make it funny. I simply love their technique of portraing the other side as totaly rediculess and saying that whoever doesnt agree with them is also stupid. (most of the times). The most clever episode ive seen has to be the one about voting (cant remember the name), where the children have to choose between and turd sandwhich and a giant douche. just briliant. And at the end saying that you have to vote becuase its always gona be either a giant douche or a turd sandwhich. Very nicly argued.
And i want to tell all of you out there who are watching the show becuase they say dirty words or kill people to look beyond it and see the magic that is South Park.

Great Work Cowybuga! and good luck.
"Remember Kids, Fighting On The Internet Is Just Like Competing In The Special Olympics. Even If You Win, You're Still a Retard.

"Never Underestimate The Power Of Very Stupid People In Large Groups"

"Rehab Is For Quitters!"
j__z

Postby j__z » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:23 pm

Cowybuga -

First off it’s Ted Danson not Tom Danson
Secondly, I wouldn't read too much into the episodes. Trey Parker and Matt Stones main goal is to make us laugh just as it is Seth MacFarlane main goal. Without making us laugh, they have no ratings, with no ratings, they have no show, with no show, their proverbial main cash cow is slaughtered. They have an open forum and the freedom to make social commentaries when they choose. This is largely because they are on a cable channel, are popular, and are not subject to that same stupid FCC decency regulation as Family guy. Regardless, if you’re analyzing the shows humor, it would be amusing to see what you made of Lemmewinks or Richard Gears jokes that they have made in the past.
Third, most people who are fans, especially those posting on a BBS, realize the meaning of the show. Just because they don’t want to post some long Freudian soliloquy about how Mr. Garrison vagina adds to the deconstruction of the feminist movement, doesn’t mean they don’t ‘get it’

Finally, quit begging and pitching yourself on a BBS. If you really want to write, get in contact with the agents that represent them, and/or write/produce something yourself that is note worthy.

/Go George Mason
//South Park & Family Guy Rule as do Stone and Parker
TiffanyD

Postby TiffanyD » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:42 pm

j__z wrote: Just because they don’t want to post some long Freudian soliloquy about how Mr. Garrison vagina adds to the deconstruction of the feminist movement, doesn’t mean they don’t ‘get it’

:lol: Too funny.
God Bless Us Everyone
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Amazing First Post :D
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:54 pm

Cowybuga, you obviously are a very intelligent individual, and you bring up some good points..But, don't condesend to people on here by telling them they are missing the point. Especially in the title of the thread, it makes you seem like you think you think you are the only one here who gets the show. You don't really know that for sure, you don't know anyone here, and this is a pretty big board,so there might be a chance that someone said something similar to the statement you made and you didn't see it.
cartman'sbitch

Postby cartman'sbitch » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 pm

Brock = Chickenhead

get those knee pads ready Brock :twisted:
megan*w

Postby megan*w » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:16 pm

cowybuga - I'm missing the points am I? Don't tell me what I am missing! You're not inside my head knowing what I'm thinking, are you?
majors

Postby majors » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:07 pm

great first post...i have been on some family guy forums reading and this and they really dont get the point they cant see beyound the fact that fg was on sp..considering sp almost got sued for the scientology ep they can't come right out and say things quite like they use to (which i find even more insulting=better) i just think they used fg because they are the only other show that has not compromised it's beliefs...i mean i thought it was extremely clear they were ripping on Comeday Central and not fox or family guy. and i dont think the scientology people did not get the joke in that episode it was more about tom cruise being gay (tom cruise come out of the closet, blah, blah, blah) and since they made such a stink about it they did rip on them hard in he super adventure club and i think the rest of the season is gonna be ripping on the events that the scientology people caused
thehoth

Postby thehoth » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:26 am

OH COME ON! now your getting silly. admit south park rules and except it for what it is!
pip27

Postby pip27 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:28 am

i completely agree, i find family guy funny in some instances but can no way possibly compare it to south park. south park is much much more developed in every aspect of the show. they dont just throw in random peices for a cheap laugh they put thought and time into making jokes that not only make sense to the plot, but also about every single side of the current issue, there is almost no way to tell what they are supporting. many people look at south park as just a stupid show made up of little kids swearing, but south park does actully cover issues that need to be talked about, and there is always, in some posssible way, a message or a legitamite lesson at the end of the episode.
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:51 am

j__z wrote:Just because they don’t want to post some long Freudian soliloquy about how Mr. Garrison vagina adds to the deconstruction of the feminist movement

I thought it was Mr. Garrison's penis that got deconstructed.
dickenschrader

Postby dickenschrader » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:10 pm

The genius about the show (and perhaps its recipe for success) lies in the fact that it manages to appeal to intellectuals with its deep social commentary --and its brilliant political satire-- while at the same time it has enough fart jokes and low-brow humor to appeal to the other 90% of the American population: Ignorant hicks.
South Park distracts the idiots with fart jokes so they can't see the strong messages that are being conveyed underneath, usually very strong criticism about everything that's wrong with the American society and the damage it's doing to the world. By doing this, they can get away with insulting any ignorant hick --including our president-- right in his face without him even realizing it.
But even though ignorant hicks don't get the real point (as we can see in this discussion), that doesn't mean they don't enjoy the show or have less of a right to watch it. They just enjoy a much thinner, much more superficial layer of humor.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”